Newbie questions

As noted, I got the Crosman F4 from wallyworld. When the scope is on, it shoots sub 1" at 40 yards. After a few days, I'm finding the scope doesn't hold zero. About what I expect from a cheap rock bottom scope. 

I really would prefer a PCP, but the wife isn't onboard with that....even after she found out she is unable to cock the Crosman unless she uses both hands (and then she "boobs" the scope off zero, lol). 

If I go PCP, then it will certainly become a big rabbit hole...and I'm not sure I want to do that. If she changes her mind, and we do go PCP, then it will most likely be a Benjamin Maximus for $199 and a cheap chinesium pump. Since the gun only takes 2,000 PSI and you pump it from about 1,000 PSI, that might not be a deal breaker (I really don't want something I have to go spend several hundred or even thousands on a compressor or SCBA because hand pumping is such a grueling task). From what I've been told here and what I've seen in review videos, hand pumping from 1,000 to 2,000 is something I can deal with. I do like the Air Venturi Avenger, a regulated and very accurate rifle for $299, but it holds north of 4,000 PSI. Really need the proper equipment to support and shoot that one. Yeah, only $100 more for the rifle, but you really need a compressor or SCBA and deal with getting it filled. Hand pumping the Avenger, no thanks.

Note: Just because the air cylinder holds that much doesn't mean you must fill it that high. Many if not most of us fill to less than full capacity on some or all of our guns. Either because they find the gun shoots more reliably or accurately or just wastes less air, or because they want to protect the seals over time or avoid anything dangerous. I just bought a gun (a used Cricket) that goes to 300 BAR but the manufacturer recommends going to only 250 to keep those things working longer. That's a pretty big difference IMO. So ... it's one thing having it there if you want it, but another actually wanting it. I've got a couple of Avengers and I'm sure I won't be filling them as high as they can go almost ever. Being able to fill them that much wasn't one of my criteria for purchase at all.

On the other hand, I don't want you to feel misgivings on or second thoughts about your purchase. Make it work for you. Don't let anything we say here keep you from enjoying a brand new purchase you could have tons of very inexpensive fun with and get a lot of practical use out of. The main thing is just to start, and you've started.

I'm hoping the wife will get fed up with this break barrel and give in to the dark side :) I just saw a Benjamin Maximus Euro version review today. That's pretty appealing. 800-825 fps with 8-8.5 grain pellets (which is more than plenty for my needs), 30-35 shots and that only runs it down to about 1500 PSI. Pumping from 1500 to 2000 is more appealing yet, and it's still a tack driver.