• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

newbie questions

Hello,
My local range is an Archery School. We are moving soon and will be opening an air rifle range.
I am new to guns and have questions that I am trying to find some answers.
We will only be shooting indoor targets. These may be paper or metal drop away targets. It looks like .177 caliber is the correct to use for competitive shooting.

1) what is good for a trap to shoot at?
2) Our building will have a cinder block wall at the back of the range. What should we use as a backstop to protect the wall and prevent richochetes?
3) Is shooting BB guns more dangerous in regards to rebounds? Are there BB gun competitions or are the competitions mainly for pellet guns.
3a) if the range is safe for .177 caliber air guns, will it also be safe for .22 air guns or does these better traps and backstop materials?
4) what are some good choices for beginner/intermediate air rifles?
5) How about advanced air rifles?
6) If you use a PCP air rifle, are the hand pumps a good choice to use to pressurise them?
7) In a PCP air rifle, they list that they hold 1000 or 2000 psi. do they shoot at the same pressure or is it less?
8) are their any good options for air pistols that will be competitive?
9) are air rifles noisy and require ear protection?
10) is eye protection a requirement? if yes, is there a difference between gun eye protection and eye protection purchased from home depot or lowes?
11) I have been looking at the Crosman Challenger rifle. Is this a good choice for a beginner and will work with me until I get really, really good (if that ever happens)?
12) Do you have any other suggestions on setting up our range or what equipment we should look at?
13) is the NRA lvl 1 coaching class a good place to learn to teach others shooting or are there other certification programs?

Thank you for your advice.
tim s.

RC_Speed - what is your target market for the range? Teaching kids to shoot, challenging for adults, other? I think that's probably the most fundamental question.

If you are looking to bring in adults and it's limited to .177, that might be an issue as my guns start at .22 and now have a .25. I currently shoot at locale gun with the PB types because there's really no where else to shoot.

Will this be a building where people bench shoot, stand like most pistol ranges around here, or be a type of indoor field target setup, or a combination? That's another question. If it's just a bench style range, you only need proper backing on one wall, so reduces cost and you can design the range to handle up to .30 or something for a reasonable price.

Do you intend to provide all the guns or let people bring their own?

So many question before even thinking about what the best guns are and whether .177 is appropriate.

Look at local laws and regulations, and get a lawyer to help with liability releases, and yes, the NRA is a good place to start.

Good luck!

I would mirror pretty much the same questions as SaltLake58, however, here are the best answers I can give, with the information you provided. Answers are inline with your questions.

1) what is good for a trap to shoot at?
Answer: The classical steel traps work well for .22 caliber or less air rifles, "snail" style traps offer a bit more security than funnel style.
2) Our building will have a cinder block wall at the back of the range. What should we use as a backstop to protect the wall and prevent richochetes?
Answer: Yes, and it should be a multi-layer backstop, so as the top layers start to erode, they are easily replaced. Even a low power air rifles will eventually chew through unprotected cinder block. 
3) Is shooting BB guns more dangerous in regards to rebounds? Are there BB gun competitions or are the competitions mainly for pellet guns.
Answer: Steel BBs do rebound more than led pellets, which tend to "squish/deform" upon impact, thus dissipating rebound energy.
3a) if the range is safe for .177 caliber air guns, will it also be safe for .22 air guns or does these better traps and backstop materials?
Answer: As a very general rule, as caliber goes up, energy levels follows. My personal range is sufficient for up to .25 caliber air rifles, but is damaged by my .357 caliber air rifle.
4) what are some good choices for beginner/intermediate air rifles?
Answer: I will defer to others on this question, as it is super broad. I would say it depends upon whether you are talking Spring Air or PCP what is commonly recommended.
5) How about advanced air rifles?
Answer: Spring air TX200 is very solid, PCP really comes down to preferences and depth of your wallet.
6) If you use a PCP air rifle, are the hand pumps a good choice to use to pressurise them?Answer: you can use a hand pump, but it would be tiresome in a range environment. Most people use compressors and tanks in a range environment.
7) In a PCP air rifle, they list that they hold 1000 or 2000 psi. do they shoot at the same pressure or is it less?Answer: you lose pressure across any valve, but basically, yes, you are shooting at the tank pressure, unless the air gun has a regulator which lowers it to another value. More common pressure figures would be 1800 to 3500 PSI operating range. I have one PCP which is 1000 to 2000 PSI (Benjamin Maximus), but ones which run that low are less common.
8) are their any good options for air pistols that will be competitive?
Answer: Yes, limited only by whether you want spring air or PCP... and the depth of your wallet. I have an old Crossman 1377 and a 1322 which continue to surprise me with their accuracy.. most people would consider them quasi-junk air pistols. 
9) are air rifles noisy and require ear protection?
Answer: Some yes, some no. I have a .357 I would strongly endorse hearing protection with. I have a couple spring air rifles which OSHA would be displeased with, I have some PCP rifles that are so quiet, the neighbors have no idea I am shooting.
10) is eye protection a requirement? if yes, is there a difference between gun eye protection and eye protection purchased from home depot or lowes?Answer: Lawsuits doth make cowards of us all. Take liability serious if you are a profession range. All pro ranges mandate polycarbonate glasses and hearing protection.
11) I have been looking at the Crosman Challenger rifle. Is this a good choice for a beginner and will work with me until I get really, really good (if that ever happens)?Answer: It is good for beginners. Several ROTC programs have purchased this air gun for training. At only 630 feet per second, it is not a power house, and requires holdover (aiming) corrections at surprisingly short distances. Good gun use and safety basics can be learned on any platform; the fact the challenger is built like a match rifle is a plus. They are out of stock of it right now at Crosman.
12) Do you have any other suggestions on setting up our range or what equipment we should look at?
Answer: If you will have PCP rifles being shot, a high quality electric high pressure (4500 psi) compressor and pony tanks. 
13) is the NRA lvl 1 coaching class a good place to learn to teach others shooting or are there other certification programs?
Answer: The NRA is a great place to start for shooting safety guidelines and basic skills.