Newbie question on slug casting - sprue cutting

After some success with casting pure lead, I just attempted to cast with 9:1 lead : linotype alloy. The difference is huge. The sprue will drop out by itself instead of sticking to the spure plate like lead. However, it seems that the metal is a LOT more brittle as the sprues would break some times when it hit the steel tray for collecting them. Is that normal ? 

The most annoying thing is that I can no longer get a smooth cut. With lead, the cut is very smooth as can be seen in the photo below. With alloy, there a a lot of cracks in the cut like what's seen when a piece of metal is repetitively bent and ultimately breaks because of fatigue. I got some metal sticking above the cutting plane causing the magazine to be jammed some time. The length of the slug is just equal to that of the magazine so there is very little tolerance. May I have some advices on how to get a smoother cut pls ? Is it possible that I did not get linotype but some other kinds of metals ? ? Thanks in advance. 

1564201918_584189915d3bd3be5a0e49.68412154_P7270608.JPG

You may need to run the Lino hotter than pure lead. I have never cast small bullets. Do you have a hard time keeping a small caliber mold hot? I am curious about casting for air rifles. I have a lot of casting equipment for larger stuff. but have never cast under 38 cal. Is there anything beneficial casting an alloy when shooting low velocity?

thanks