• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Newbie Old Guy Just Getting Into Airguns!

Hi folks!
I'm 70, just getting into airguns; I have a .22 cal. Hatsan Bullboss right now, and I'm looking for a .45 cal. Hercules Bully to buy. I've been trying to find out as much as possible about upgrading one with a (Huma?) regulator, larger plenum, possibly a non-QE barrel if Hatsan has one for this rifle, an air stripper if they do have a non-QE barrel for it, and if needed for quieting things down, a moderator also.
So, how am I doing for starters, am I on the right track, or does this all sound like a typical ignorant newbie?

Welcome, glad to have you. Many appreciate the modding of guns, kind of goes with the territory. One caution I like to share is it might be hard to recoup your investment if you decide to sell in the future. Folks seem reluctant to pay big dollars for used when, new, with warranty, is far cheaper. Also, they'll need to trust your workmanship. Never plan to sell, moot point. Only thing I can say about Hatsan is that they get more bad press on this forum than any other brand. Some love them but they're plenty who criticize build quality and customer relations, something to consider, as well, when investing hard earned hobby dollars. Best of Luck, WM

Welcome, glad to have you. Many appreciate the modding of guns, kind of goes with the territory. One caution I like to share is it might be hard to recoup your investment if you decide to sell in the future. Folks seem reluctant to pay big dollars for used when, new, with warranty, is far cheaper. Also, they'll need to trust your workmanship. Never plan to sell, moot point. Only thing I can say about Hatsan is that they get more bad press on this forum than any other brand. Some love them but they're plenty who criticize build quality and customer relations, something to consider, as well, when investing hard earned hobby dollars. Best of Luck, WM
Well, I look at it the same way I do a boat or a car; don't expect to treat it like real estate and add value with upgrades, most personal property isn't really a realistic choice as an "investment" ( older guys around boatyards laugh at this sort of thinking) and remember, people used to buy houses to live in, not as an investment, which drives the price of real estate up when it starts a bidding war, or when banks buy up all the rental properties and then raise the rent/lease, do no maintenance, and abuse the tax code. This seriously reduces the number available to buy, which just makes matters even worse.
Anyhoo, back on subject; one thing I noticed is folks writing on some forums and other sites that the gun leaks, on the very same page with a notice to fill it to 3,000PSI to seat all the seals and O-rings before using it. We had a saying in the Navy: "When all else fails, read the damn instructions." Another fact is Hatsan, and other companies, build to a price point, which is why some other airguns can cost more the $3,000.00 before adding any other desired doodads to the amount finally spent. Years ago a buddy of mine built up his Porsche 928 to 600 HP, but he had no intention or expectation of getting the amount of money he spent getting it to that state of performance if he ever chose to sell it.( He still has it, it's nicknamed the "Landshark"-- eats Corvettes, Diablos, Ferraris, etc. as a freaking small snack...)

@USN308 Welcome to AGN. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. What’s your intended use for a .45 caliber air rifle? Are you intending to hunt? Target shoot? Have you considered a Hatsan Piledriver .457? If not, check one out. Maybe @gendoc can lend some advice or assistance here.
Yes, but it's too long, weight out too far forward (broke my back, neck, & right shoulder in the service) which is why I settled on a bullpup. I do intend to both target shoot and hunt. I appreciate the advice, but I'm ignorant of how that USER part should be deciphered. (old guy...)

Hey all, sorry about not replying sooner to all your friendly, very helpful posts.
I was in ICU, heart. Back home now; too damn stubborn to die.
Anyone here living in Europe?
It seems I'll have to buy a .30 cal. Blitz BP bullpup from across the pond,
because it seems from the emails I got back from HatsanUSA,
they don't have any interest in stocking them.
Or being nice about it, for that matter.
Water off a duck's back!
Oh yeah, just to clarify, my forum name doesn't refer to the .308 cartridge, it was my boot camp company number way back in the day. I personally consider the .308/7.62x51 round a woosie. I prefer the 30.06; projectile weight choice ranging from a saboted 60 gr. .22, (a foot of RISE at 100 meters!) all the way up past 220 gr.
Like the old Yellow page ads said: "Just use your finger to reach out and touch someone!"
;-)

Last edited: