• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie Needs Help

I am a disabled veteran who is pretty stuck at home but I live on two acres with no surrounding homes. I love to target practice but using a regular gun I have to be driven over 60 miles to shoot.

I just discovered PCP air guns and excited that I could shoot in my back yard. Here is what I think I want.

Traditional wood stock

Regulated

Would be nice to have iron sights

Must have silencer

Would like to be under $500 but could stretch to $1000 if I was in love with the gun

Please send recommendations

Also which compressor to choose

Thanks for taking time to respond

In my opinion, at the sub-$500 price point I think it is hard to beat a Benjamin Marauder, in either .22 or .25. They are very quiet and do not need a moderator, especially if shot outside. The sound of the pellet hitting your target/backstop will be louder than the sound of the shot.

If you’re going to stretch to $1,000 I would look hard at a FX Dreamline Classic, especially a used one.

Both of these guns have air tubes and so can easily be filled with any of the sub $400 compressors on the market. They can also be filled with a hand pump, but depending on your disability that may not be appropriate.

Chris

I would look at a lighter weight and shorter length,a PCP that does not take much air to fill and gets a lot of shots between fills..

A reliable compressor that has easy to get parts.

Question is: is your total budget around $1000?

If so a allotment of Around $500 for each.....break it down more $400 compressor and water filter....

The Avenger is a good bet,the Marauder may be better. Check out the weights and length of each.

A better bet for you may be the Gamo Urban....None of them have iron sights.....

I going to give you a better choice.....in my opinion.....a Hammerli 850..it uses a large CO2 88-90 gram disposable tank....

I get 80-100 shots from 1 tank and get 2 tanks for about $16-18 .....

Another really good choice is a Crossman Challenger PCP...a whole lot of shots per fill and nothing really more accurate out to 40 or so yards...

Myself I like shooting PCP pistols more that rifles....don't know how you feel about them...Much harder to master.

Oh the Challenger is single shot.....properly a hassle loading it.....

I think the Hammerli or RWS 850 is your best bet....just screw the CO2 bottle in and shot about 100 shots...no mess no fuss....

I would look for an old nova liberty. They are great guns that have been forgotten since the next new thing has come out. You should be able to find one for under 300$. Great iron sights and regulated. A synthetic one is for sale on the gta classifieds. These guns were the precursor to the avenger. I also have a dreamline. It's the lightest and most consistently accurate gun I have. User friendly adjustability. Aoa is having a sale on the huntsman revere right now and that's probably the best value in higher end guns right now.

I am always so happy to hear about a new member joining the PCP world. PCPs are really great, especially if you start simple and not jump right in to an Impact MK2 or M3. I am so glad you found the world of this wonderful hobby. I don't have a whole lot to offer in regards to a specific rifle to buy, but I wanted to mention the "hidden" costs of PCP. Do you have an air source? With your budget don't forget you need to factor in an way to get air, keep air and give air to your PCP while shooting. This of course can be done in many ways, but is still a cost. You mentioned a compressor. These can run from $350ish to thousands of dollars. You really do get what you pay for with these machines. Do you have a way to fill an SBCA for Scuba tank and buy a stikboy adaptor? This may be much cheaper for now just starting out. 

Well in the long run, please consider the air source and how you will get it. This is often the forgotten part of PCP when it comes to budget minded folks.

Have fun! 

Greg