• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie needs hand pump help!!! G9

How much do you weigh? LOL!

I am right above 190 pounds, so hand pumps are not stressful for me. Good exercise if you ask me. Also, I never let my Fortitude get so low that I have to pump more than ~40 times to get back to the full 3000 psi.

Using a hand pump takes some style/finesse. It is possible for a "98 pound weakling" to pump up to 3000 psi and even up to 4500 psi if they use the correct posture/finesse to make it happen. I know it is possible as I have blown a 4500 burst disk using a hand pump.

If you like to shoot tons of pellets at a time, depleting the air gun of all of its useful energy, then maybe a HP pump like a Yong Heng or other is in your future.

However, if you are like me. I simply use my airgun to kill pests in/on my small property. Rats, Chipmunks and Arboreal Rodents. Occasionally a Starling trying to take over the Red Bellied woodpecker nest and a Brown Headed Cowbird for ethical reasons. (grin)

The Flying Squirrels, thankfully, have now taken over the woodpecker nest. Unfortunately, the only time I can really see them is when it is too dark for my old eyes to see.

And NO, I don't kill flying squirrels. I ONLY kill pests that have demonstrated their destructive nature to me...

Oops... sorry... here I am hijacking YOUR thread. (sheepish grin)

p.s.

No offense intended.

p.p.s.

I'm 61, in case that matters... (chuckle)

I got mine for the exact same reason. I'm 215 pounds and relatively well built. I watched a couple videos on Technique And it seemed to come natural to me. My 125 pound niece who plays football tried to pump it and she could actually put her whole entire weight on the handle ( She was actually holding herself off the ground by just the handle) and it wouldn't move. 

I like the shoot between 10 and 15 rounds at a time if I'm practicing but other than that 1 or 2 once in a while is more likely.

You should be able to draw it all the way up without any noticeable resistance. Resistance should all be on the down-stroke. In my experience, what you describe is a bad seal. Possibly on a lower pressure stage. When I have had the high pressure seal go, pulling up feels like there's a vacuum pulling the handle down. Pushing down feels like there is enormous pressure fighting you all the way. I would expect that the lower pressure stages may feel similar, but not as pronounced.

C4boom,

Was having overheating problems with my new hand pump until finally a seal blew. Watched a 2-part, 4/22/20, video, called "How to Repair the 300bar 4500psi PCP Air Rifle Hand Pump," on YouTube, put out by Topa Manufacturing Company, the place where these pumps are made, conducted by an employee, Coby Leo, who takes apart, cleans and re-assembles one. Watched a couple of times, then took mine apart, only to find NO COOLANT. Repaired with included parts and tools, filled with mineral oil, now works fine. (Got seller to refund $10 after pointing out their error.) 

Also, found out later my attempt to use loose desiccant beads in a 4" cotton filled, aluminum filter back-fired, when the beads got wet and "melted" almost completely sealing off inside of male foster fitting. Best of Luck,

WM

Just wanted to come back with an update. So I dismantled the pump cleaned it .it was completely sopping wet in oil that was almost black, inspected all the O rings from found no issues ,checked the seals found non faulty, checked the valve valve it was dirty cleaned it with some machine oil that I have. Relubicated with silicone oil and the pump works a lot better still not 100%. It still seems to have a little resistance at the very top of the stroke but it's way better . Completely usable I can now pump from 3400 PSI to 4300 PSI in about 5 minutes relatively easily.