• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie needs advice about velocity/FPS

Haven’t hunted since I was a teen but am now 62 and want to take up squirrel hunting (and other small game) with an air rifle. I believe NH was one of the few states that didn’t allow hunting with air rifles but they recently changed the law to allow it, if you use a .22 air rifle. So I’m looking to buy a .22 air rifle and being your typical guy want to buy one with high velocity/FPS, maybe in the 1300 range. But then I read that I will lose accuracy and should get a slower weapon. I’m leaning towards a Gammo break barrel. Should I be looking in the 800/900 range, or the 1100/1300 range? Thanks for your input.

I suggest you look for something that will shoot an 18 grain pellet in the 800 to 900 fps range. The choices are numerous, and the recommendations depend on many variables. You mentioned a break barrel, so I assume you are considering a spring piston rIfle. I would look at the Weihrauch HW 97, and the AA TX 200, both are under-lever rifles which I prefer.

Aloha Alpha3,

I bought my son a gamo wildcat whisper in .22 cal. with the IGT the gun is easy to cock. I have him shooting jsb 18.13 pellets with really good accuracy out to 40 yards, I believe its shooting @ 780ish, with jsb 15.89 pellets its shooting @ 850ish. I did change out the 4x32 scope that came with the gun, it was rubbish, it didn't hold zero at all we would have to re-sight the gun after every outing. Its quiet enough to shoot in my back yard and for the gun being under $150 shipped to Hawaii it was well worth it.

Aloha,

Keone

Accuracy,either a .177 or .22 will do it...I like .22,you do not need over 900FPS,many squirrels have been taken with under 600FPS..

The fact is,"shot placement"....Not velocity ,not cal.,not fps....

So you want a accurate easy to load and carry rifle.

The HW 97 is great,so is the TX200,but I like my Beeman R-9.;why ? Because it is easy to load,light ,good trigger and accurate.

Mine happens to be .20 cal,which I love,but I would also love any cal.

Do not forget money for a good springer rated scope and good mounts.

Spring rifles have a caveat that reads "Speed costs accuracy, how accurate do you want to be?"

It is also worth noting that the common wisdom places the same caveat on the diabolo pellet. The round nosed pellet should be launched between 800 and 900 fps generally speaking. Higher than that and you are wasting energy (and with a spring rifle that means loosing accuracy). Lower than that and you are sacrificing energy you don't need to sacrifice to obtain optimal accuracy with that form factor. This is not true with match (flat nosed) pellets which should be shot at slower velocities still.

So the recommendation that you find a rifle shooting an 18 grain pellet in the 800 to 900 fps range is a good one. I would personally look for a rifle that shoots a bit slower than that even. You are wanting to hunt squirrels. Accuracy will be a premium. You are required to shoot a .22. You should look at rifles shooting in the 18 to 22 foot pound range. Stick with QUALITY over power. You won't regret it.

Diana Model 34 and 340 would be good choices. A BSA Lightning GRT in .22 would do well. There are other higher end rifles which you would probably hand down to the grand kids some day.

Just my two.

Spring rifles have a caveat that reads "Speed costs accuracy, how accurate do you want to be?"

It is also worth noting that the common wisdom places the same caveat on the diabolo pellet. The round nosed pellet should be launched between 800 and 900 fps generally speaking. Higher than that and you are wasting energy (and with a spring rifle that means loosing accuracy). Lower than that and you are sacrificing energy you don't need to sacrifice to obtain optimal accuracy with that form factor. This is not true with match (flat nosed) pellets which should be shot at slower velocities still.

So the recommendation that you find a rifle shooting an 18 grain pellet in the 800 to 900 fps range is a good one. I would personally look for a rifle that shoots a bit slower than that even. You are wanting to hunt squirrels. Accuracy will be a premium. You are required to shoot a .22. You should look at rifles shooting in the 18 to 22 foot pound range. Stick with QUALITY over power. You won't regret it.

Diana Model 34 and 340 would be good choices. A BSA Lightning GRT in .22 would do well. There are other higher end rifles which you would probably hand down to the grand kids some day.

Just my two.

+1 from me and his is easily worth four.

Good advice from all these folks. Definitely don’t fall for the super power 1200/1400 FPS guns. They won’t be easy to shoot and they aren’t accurate at that speed. I recommend the R9 or the Diana 34. And like Cornpone said go with quality, you will definitely not regret it, you won’t have a crappy shooting gun leaning against the wall, you’ll have a new friend for life lol! Keep us posted on your choice. Have a blast!

Don't fall in to the Speed Trap. Over 1000 fps can get unstable and frustrating. Supersonic transition speed ranges are quite the paradox.

A .22 for anything racoon size and down in the 800-900 fps is formidable. Many coons have been dealt with using a break barrel shooting a 14.3 at 840 fps and none have taken more than a step or two. I was close, but reality steps in from time to time. Squirrels and rabbits are fair gam and any distance I'll try, usually under 30 yards. They seem to always be partially obstructed and at odd angles. Remember, you are threading a needle, and putting it where you want it is the only option.

PCP will be the easiest to shoot and can be tuned much more readily, but the price of admission is higher.

Happy obsessing and shopping.