• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie needs a new airgun

You’re going to get all kinds of recommendations.For a springer I would go with a HW 50. Not hold sensitive and is Light weight. For a PCP rifle Maybe a Benjamin fortitude generation two. Multishot and light weight and good shot count and plenty enough power for your needs. The only thing the fortitude would need is to smooth out The trigger mechanism which is very easy. But if you’re willing to spend more money there are a lot of Choices in PCP.But as far as a springer goes, you don’t want to go cheap. I would Stay with a German made Springer. At Least that’s what has worked best for me.I started out with a Benjamin PCP and over the years ended up with a Daystate.The Benjamin was Reliable but the Daystate Is much better in build quality and more accurate. There are many rifles in between that are pretty good too.And I have owned several cheaper Springers and didn’t like them and was about to give up on them until I bought the HW 50 which I’m very happy with. Your biggest problem is going to find what you like in stock right now.

What species/size birds?

I have a Uragan .30, Taipan Veteran .22, and soon a Zbroia Sapsan S .25. 

But my Kral Puncher Breaker Silent in .177 is VERY accurate especially at 25 - 35 yds (5rds in dime-size hole), is a blast to shoot and can be purchased for $500.

I run heavier ammo through mine; JSB Beasts and they are beastly. You shouldn't have any problem performing headshots on any bird.

I think a lot of people on this site talk about the daystate Revere/huntsman rifle for a good reason. If you want a compact bullpup, can't go wrong with taipan veteran. Both proven PCP rifles.

Definitely.

However if there are budgetary constraints, then you can consider these pcps:

Taipan Vateran - $1,399

Benjamin Marauder - $499 - $729

Kral Puncher Breaker - $499

Then we have used and well taken care of high-end pcp can be had for $1,000 or less here in the classifieds.

If you're looking for a springer, go with a German-made brand as mentioned previously like Diana or Weihrauch.

I like my Avenger and my Prod. Very different. The Prod is tuned to about 18 fpe which is just enough to put a hole through a squirrel and knock them flat. Quiet and about 5 lbs with scope (Hawke 2-7). My Avenger is a 25 caliber and tuned to about 50 fpe. I'm getting smaller groups at 33 yards more consistently with the Avenger right now. I will probably try different tunes on my Prod but the current one is meeting my needs (backyard pesting at no more than 30 yards). If you want a very tunable and higher powered PCP, an Avenger is a good way to go. I got good accuracy with a 1600 psi regulator setting (about 35 fpe). My current setting is 2400 psi. You can go lower and higher. It's quieter lower. I've messed with the Avenger trigger but the Prod is still better.

"I like my Avenger and my Prod. Very different. The Prod is tuned to about 18 fpe which is just enough to put a hole through a squirrel and knock them flat. Quiet and about 5 lbs with scope (Hawke 2-7). My Avenger is a 25 caliber and tuned to about 50 fpe. I'm getting smaller groups at 33 yards more consistently with the Avenger right now. I will probably try different tunes on my Prod but the current one is meeting my needs (backyard pesting at no more than 30 yards)."

I have a prod (Marauder pistol), and I agree that it's a great pistol/carbine that packs a punch!

If you go with a springer, look at the Weihrauch HW30s. They are light weight, easy to cock, very accurate, and much easier to shoot accurately that most springers. The downside is that they don't have a lot of power. (About 7 FPE if I remember correctly.) Still, that is more than adequate for paper out to 25 yards, and birds and squirrels on and around your patio.

When you finally get your fancy pcp rifle, tank, etc., you'll still enjoy shooting your HW30s.

I have one. When they drag me off to assisted living or the nursing home, it's the one air rifle I'll smuggle into my room. 😬