Newbie / Maverick or HM1000x

New member here from TN. Been a member of “another” forum for a lot of years but only recently realized what I was missing here. Currently looking at possibly acquiring a .22 to accurately shoot slugs around 200 yards. Been considering FX Maverick or possibly a RAW HM1000x. I currently have a HM1000x in .25 that shoots 25.4gr very well. Can usually shoot 5 shot groups at 70 yards that can be covered with a nickel. I was down at RAW this morning and talked to Martin about it a little bit. He told me to have a regular HM1000x shoot 27gr slugs accurately he would need to increase the velocity. Said it might be best to just have him build one that way instead of buying used and then having it modified. Anyway, what would you recommend? I have other short range options covered so this would be specific for longer range targets. Thx

Just got my HM1000x .22 back from Martin last Friday, full reseal, coupla parts replaced and added a biathlon drop down lever. The Maverick is a bullpup so it will be shorter with the ability to upgrade more easily on your own and I think it should have more poser potential out of the box unless you get an external plenum from Bhaur for the RAW, then the .22 RAW will have lots of power on tap. Depending on what you will be using it for, besides 200yd long range, then hunting = Maverick, bench = RAW. My RAW is in a Chassis, if I were to take it out on a long walk/hunt, I'd probably just remove the butt stock amd make it a HUGE pistola 😂..but it would be much shorter/lighter to carry. You could also get an 800mm barrel for the Mav but Martin could also build you a RAW with a longer barrel....tough but fun choice! Couldn't go wrong with either one.

One of the reasons I’m favoring the RAW is that Martin is only an hour away and it’s convenient if I need work done. I have a cousin that has a M3 and another that has a Taipan. I’ve shot the Taipan but not the FX yet. I didn’t think the Taipan was really for me although it was a good performer. I’ve had a couple FX’s before but never one on the newer platform. It just appears the FX is very user friendly as far as adjusting the rifle to your pellet or purpose.
The reason I was leaning toward the Maverick over the M3 is that it seems a little less complex. My cousin purchased his M3 new and had to send it back twice within the first month to get it to just shoot correctly. I hope the Maverick is just a little bit less complex.

Reactions: Ranchibi
The maverick is a tuners toy. You can tune it to basically any pellet or slug you want to shoot. You can set it up for one and leave it, or when you get bored, tune it for something else. You can also go from a compact woods walker, to a sniper benchrest gun all with easily accessible parts.
The Raw is just a plain shooter. Martin will build it how you want it, and that’s it. You could try tuning it yourself afterwards, but it’ll never be as good as what Martin did and for what pellet/slug he set it up for.

Are you a shooter who selects a projectile and stays with it no matter what? If so the Raw will be your best bet. Get it set up and just shoot and enjoy.
If you are more adventurous, want to try different slugs or decide pellets are more your thing,then the Maverick would be my choice. Easy gun to tune and can develop plenty of power and is very accurate.

Not sure about that. He set my HM1000x .25 to shoot JSB 25.4’s at 930 when I had him reseal it last year. I didn’t specify what I wanted it set at but that’s the way he set it up. He said it was set up for best accuracy. It’s one of the older original RAW’s. When I was at his place yesterday picking up a TM1000 I was having him reseal to sell, I spoke with him about the possibility of having him set up a HM1000x in .22 for long range and he just started talking about 27gr slugs and the velocity it needed which would require him to modify the gun a bit. I’m sure he would set up rifle just about any way someone would want. He’s a great guy to deal with.

Dont know enough about either one but it seems like your choice comes down to a gun that will be built to do what you want it to do, or a gun that might do it, but may need extra mods to make it happen.

I would go back and visit with Martin and get it done if it was me.
You are quite fortunate to be so close by to RAW.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball and Ranchibi
To accurately shoot slugs at 200 yards with a .22, you're going to need a gun that makes power easily, so it can send slugs in the 30+ grain range in the 950+fps range(most likely). I own 2 Mavericks, one is my max power hunter and the other basically stays a .22 for long range plinking. The Maverick can certainly do the job, but you're going to need the heavy liner(comes with the standard liner), pin probe/heavy hammer weight, and maybe the carbon liner sleeve. My gun is tuned to shoot the NSA 31.2 grain(.218) around 960 fps. I can pop cans at 200 yards all day long with it, and have shot an egg at 325 yards(took a few tries). It's a great gun with a solid shot count, and VERY customizable for your preferences. I've shot 200+ yards with the NSA 24.8 grain slugs too, but they won't buck the wind quite as well.

All of that being said, if he can tune the RAW to shoot the 27 grain slugs accurately, while also giving a decent shot count, then the RAW would be a damn good gun for the job. Well, it's a RAW and they are awesome guns. It's a little bit of a apples and oranges comparison, but either would be a great gun. The Maverick is definitely the more flexible gun, and the gun with higher power potential. However, the RAW is a nicer gun and I wouldn't knock you one bit for getting it. I know you didn't ask about other guns, but there are other guns that can do the job as well, if you want to go down that rabbit hole :D

Thanks for everyone pitching in. You’ve enlightened me on some things, confirmed others and have made an enjoyable thread. I found a Maverick Sniper set up for slugs that I felt was worth a “shot”. (See what I did there?) I’m going to give it a try and see what the new FX’s are all about. I still have my HM1000x .25 that will hammer out to 100 yards with the 25.4’s. If I find the FX doesn’t do it for me then I can sell it and give Martin a call.