• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Newbie, looking to get into pcp,

any Suggestions? I'm wanting to start with a good accurate pcp.
Whats your budget? Do you plan on using a tank for filling? If you plan on buying a tank for filling do you have a place that can fill your tank or do you plan on buying a compressor to fill the tank? All the costs involved to get started in the world of pcp will also have an effect on what rifle and scope combo you will be able to start with if you have a budget.

Many good choices out there and I’m sure you will pic a good one. As I see it depending on a hand pump to satisfy your needs is the first mistake people make and you should be looking also at a compressor around$350. Hand pumping can turn you sour quickly if you shoot a lot.

Personally I am not fond of the bull pup design for several reasons and would steer away from them. Some guns are just too heavy and unbalanced and features and prices vary a lot. Hard to beat the plastic stock Avenger in rifle form to start with and it is easily upgraded as your needs grow.

Reactions: Bullpupone
Many good choices out there and I’m sure you will pic a good one. As I see it depending on a hand pump to satisfy your needs is the first mistake people make and you should be looking also at a compressor around$350. Hand pumping can turn you sour quickly if you shoot a lot.

Personally I am not fond of the bull pup design for several reasons and would steer away from them. Some guns are just too heavy and unbalanced and features and prices vary a lot. Hard to beat the plastic stock Avenger in rifle form to start with and it is easily upgraded as your needs grow.
Personally I have 3 herniated disc in my lower back, so I love bullpup designs. They are usually lighter, and the weight is definitely closer to your body, so you aren't being levered over by the weight being at 15" from your shoulder in a "classic" wood stock rifle design.

My first PCP was a Hatsan BT65 .25 almost 10 years ago. It's a heavy brick and hard to cock, as it's a bolt action instead of side lever action. Lots of power and accurate at the time, but I would have never bought one if I could have visited an airgun shop or held one.

Whats your budget? Do you plan on using a tank for filling? If you plan on buying a tank for filling do you have a place that can fill your tank or do you plan on buying a compressor to fill the tank? All the costs involved to get started in the world of pcp will also have an effect on what rifle and scope combo you will be able to start with if you have a budget.
budget is fairly open, I have been looking at costs, planning on compressor and rifle, also looking for good scope, Im 58 and the eyes really like good glass Lol

budget is fairly open, I have been looking at costs, planning on compressor and rifle, also looking for good scope, Im 58 and the eyes really like good glass Lol
most of my shooting will be target, 50 yards plus, looking for accuracy of long gun, but not looking for a 10 lb rifle, had 2 back surgeries and will do some hunting with it, was thinking something in the 7 lb range with scope and bipod,

I hear you about the bad back. A compressor will run you $300 and more depending on what you want to spend. If filling the gun only you can get by with an air cooled portable model. Some even run off 120v and 12v. If wanting to fill an SCBA and then fill the rifle from it I would recommend the YH. They are water cooled and noisy, but normally last longer.

Air guns are heavier than PB'ers due to the air reservoirs. There are very few that are going to come in around 7#'s with a scope and bipod. Most weight more than that bare. For an entry level (inexpensive) gun I would look at the Avenger. Traditional style, good accuracy with the occasional flyer from what I've read. There is a new gun coming on the market the JTS Airacuda, that got some good reviews on the GTA forum from beta testers. Maybe a DAR or Gamo Urban. As far as a sub 7# gun check out the Snowpeak P35 (it's a bull pup) around 5.5#'s bare and good accuracy.

You might want to consider 1 gun for target shooting from a table or bench, and another for hunting.

I would try to find an Airgun shop within a couple of hour drive and visit the store. Or find an airgun group in your area and visit their next meet. As I mentioned earlier if I had handled my first air rifle before I bought it, I would have bought something else.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. I will be taking advice as given. been looking at the JTS aircuda, and even the FX Dreamline on the top side of budget. I'm sure this will get out of hand and end up with multiple air rifles. I'm an avid rifle shooter and have more of them then I need also....LOL
It's an addiction. I don't know anyone with only 1 PCP. Good luck and let us know what you find.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. I will be taking advice as given. been looking at the JTS aircuda, and even the FX Dreamline on the top side of budget. I'm sure this will get out of hand and end up with multiple air rifles. I'm an avid rifle shooter and have more of them then I need also....LOL
With that being said, you WILL fall down the rabbit hole lol, so make sure you get yourself a compressor for filling the rifles. I just use a budget GX2 compressor from Amazon, it's been working great for me and use it A LOT. Be aware that most of the small budget compressors, mine included, are not suited for filling large air tanks.