• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

newbie looking for best all around gun.

The new FX Streamline in .25 was my choice for my first pcp, eventho I haven't received it yet (it is on the way rightnow tho!) anyways I wanted basically what you're wanting, a Good longer range hunting rifle.. I was originally in Love with the daystate Huntsman (and still really want one in my future) but for the $ the streamline is hard to beat from what I have gathered so far. 

It is regulated, gets an advertised 50 shot count in .25 and 60 in .22 .. it is light weight coming in at like 5.8 lbs standard stock version a little heavier for the laminate stock which I opted for. It also has the smooth twist barrel which seems to be working Really well in the Fx line up. 

I didnt really need Need to spend as much as I did but after getting scammed on my first attempt to get me a pcp rifle I got bummed out and said Screw it and got in the preorder for the Streamline. I lost a lot of $ on a scam for supposedly a nice looking custom .25 Armada package with a pump scope bipod etc.. lesson here, DONT EVER USE ANYTHNG BUT PAY PAL! Lol

I have a Compatto, and it is awesome. However, for .25, its tank is a bit small. It's mostly designed to be a nice gun to carry and shoot offhand. In .25, I think it's a bit down on power, compared to some.

I think what I'd do is get a .25 Marauder and a KILLER scope and rings. $500 for the Marauder, and $500 for the scope & rings. Borrow a tank from your buddy. until you can afford one of your own.

At 100+ yards, you won't want to be shooting a crappy scope. It's not just quality, or you could use one of your powderburner scopes. But you need adjustable objective too, so you can focus it in at closer ranges. Maybe a lit reticle, if you're going to be shooting at night.

If you're confident in your scopes' ability to shoot close ranges too, the Air Arms S510 FAC is a bit nicer rifle with side lever cocking, a bit better barrel and on-the-fly adjustable power level.

Nice thing about the Marauder though, is that they come tuned for a 2500 psi fill, and not a huge tank, so hand pumping is totally doable. 

At $1000, I'd look really hard at the FX Streamline in .25. The Air Arms S-510 is a beautiful, reliable gun, but not only is it over $1000, it does not come standard with a regulator. Since you are specifically looking at reaching out longer distances, I would say a regulator is going to be the single most important component to look for. You are going to want the speed of your pellets to be as consistent as possible so that your pellets have the same drop rate and you won't have to guess where you are in the power curve of the gun to be able to adjust for different holdover. The AA S-510 out of the box, has a very noticeable power curve. Aside from that, the power adjuster on the FX guns are much more consistent than the one on the AA guns. I'd say both have awesome triggers so that wouldn't be a determining factor for me. I've had two wood stocked AA S-510's and two TX200's. They are truly beautiful guns, a work of art. Bluing is amazing, etc. They are hands down better looking guns than the FX line in my opinion. I haven't had a wood stock on an FX gun but only because my personal preference is to lean towards performance before aesthetic. AA is a great gun and also prettier, but FX, in my opinion, offers more performance for the money.

A few nit picks.........The magazine loads from the left side of the AA so if you ever want to put a side wheel on your scope it will block the area where you need to have access to slide the magazine in. FX loads from the right side so it won't hinder a side wheel.

The safety button for the AA is located right on the trigger blade. I never had any problems with mine functionally, but I greatly prefer the hunter style safety that FX carries. Something about having the safety mechanism right on the trigger just always kind of "plucked" at me a bit.

The side lever on the AA is nice, but not as smooth as the FX guns. You'd have to try them both to know what I mean, but the FX side lever practically cycles itself. 

These last few things, like I said are nit picks and I wouldn't necessarily let something that small sway you one way or the other. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you choose!! 

AOA just got the streamlines in the states, there is also a few more company's darling them air gun depot is one of them. 

They are $995 for the base synthetic stock, + $100 for walnut and + $100 for the Black proper looking Laminate .. worth the money imho 

a good FFP scope to look at is the Monstrum, I've got one otw I'm going to try on my streamline as well, will give review if you want. My rifle is suppose to be here tomorrow, my hill pump and scope suppose to arrive the next day! 

.25 mrod. It beats most out of the box. Factory parts availability - as fast as UPS delivers. If you know how to use wrench you can regulate and tune it up - lots aftermarket parts and recepies from very knowledgable people.

From what I've seen FX/Daystate etc community is dominated by not diy enthusiasts who are not in to hardcore mods and usually let dealers to do fixing maintenance.

Its matter of personal preference.