newbie looking for best all around gun.

krank

Dec 18, 2016
Ky
I had not shoot a air rifle in 20 years. until I baught a titan gp in .22 a couple weeks ago for my son. shooting it made me realize airguns have came a long way in 20 years. after working on the trigger, a little barrel work, couple hundred shots, and a good cleaning this thing shoots really good at 40yds. and I got a dove woth it today at about 55. with that said I like to shoot long range. 100yds or more. it just don't have the speed. I'm looking for a good all around rifle. probably in a 25cal. I'll mainly use it for hunting, and shooting in the back yard, but I may go to a shoot if one pops up near me. would like to spend less than 1000 so the wife don't kill me.

Daystate Regal, Air Arms S510, FX T12 Whisper Mk2. These are priced right, good quality air rifles, that are easy to shoot. However for 25 cal they may be just a little slow at 45fpe with fairly small air reservoir volumes. You will get like 8-10 good shots with these in .25 cal. But in .177 or .22 you can't go wrong with any for these models.

These days there are so many choices available that makes it hard to pin point exactly best all around air gun. Some guys like bullpups, some like traditional classic look rifles, some folks like tacticool stuff. So, It is a very subjective opinion.

If you want to shoot 100 yards with an air rifle for real, you need at least 65-70fpe at the muzzle. The cheapest way to go would be a Sumatra 2500, 500cc gun. With a purchase of a hand pump or a tank you could do all that for about less then $1000 and keep the wife from unloading on ya. Because the truth is if you get pulled into this hobby you will be buying more then one air rifle anyway.

ty to everyone for the answers. i know no one gun will be perfect but you all have given ne several to read up on. i should have said in the orginal. the compressor and tank isn't a issue. i got a friend that has a 4500 psi compressor and a few tanks. I'll steal one of his for a while if need be lol. plus I already have a few scopes.

"Dartagnan"
"krank".... would like to spend less than 1000 so the wife don't kill me.
1st: Benjamin Maurader 25cal (with $75 off coupon @ PA currently)
2nd: Hatsan PCP (with scope & bipod with PA or AD currently)
​3rd: Brocock Compatto 

If you could find a coupon that CAN be applied would be a bonus
The Compatto is intriguing (I agree), but $120 for an extra mag is borderline criminal in my opinion.

Scott

"sgergen"
"Dartagnan"
"krank".... would like to spend less than 1000 so the wife don't kill me.
1st: Benjamin Maurader 25cal (with $75 off coupon @ PA currently)
2nd: Hatsan PCP (with scope & bipod with PA or AD currently)
​3rd: Brocock Compatto 

If you could find a coupon that CAN be applied would be a bonus
The Compatto is intriguing (I agree), but $120 for an extra mag is borderline criminal in my opinion.

Scott
Oh, allow me to retract the Compatto from my suggestion list. Hek, even my personal list. How can Brocock even justify that price!! 

"krank"I like to shoot long range. 100yds or more. it just don't have the speed. I'm looking for a good all around rifle. probably in a 25cal. I'll mainly use it for hunting, and shooting in the back yard, but I may go to a shoot if one pops up near me. would like to spend less than 1000 so the wife don't kill me.

Yeah, if you are going to have any luck beyond 100 yards you are going to require a .25 or larger caliber. There will be a lot of feedback in the thread about getting some such or another 950 fps+ rifle. If you are going to shoot bullets in your rifle, maybe that is a good idea. If you intend to shoot pellets 950 fps is the maximum velocity you want to accept. Pellets just shoot best below that velocity, pure and simple. At 150 yards the optimal muzzle velocity, considering wind effects and drop, is around 875 to 950, depending upon the BC of the pellet. At 100 yards or less it is more like 825 to 875.

The Airforce line is another vendor you might want to consider and the Condor is probably the rifle in that lineup you should check out. They are very configurable. There is an enormous after market parts market. You can make a Condor shoot .257 cast bullets at 90 fpe and 200 yards or .25 JSB 25 grain pellets at 25 fpe and 50 yards, it really will depend upon you and how much you want to "customize" your rifle.

Anyway, welcome to the community. No doubt you will find a good rifle.

"oldspook"
"krank"I like to shoot long range. 100yds or more. it just don't have the speed. I'm looking for a good all around rifle. probably in a 25cal. I'll mainly use it for hunting, and shooting in the back yard, but I may go to a shoot if one pops up near me. would like to spend less than 1000 so the wife don't kill me.

Yeah, if you are going to have any luck beyond 100 yards you are going to require a .25 or larger caliber. There will be a lot of feedback in the thread about getting some such or another 950 fps+ rifle. If you are going to shoot bullets in your rifle, maybe that is a good idea. If you intend to shoot pellets 950 fps is the maximum velocity you want to accept. Pellets just shoot best below that velocity, pure and simple. At 150 yards the optimal muzzle velocity, considering wind effects and drop, is around 875 to 950, depending upon the BC of the pellet. At 100 yards or less it is more like 825 to 875.

The Airforce line is another vendor you might want to consider and the Condor is probably the rifle in that lineup you should check out. They are very configurable. There is an enormous after market parts market. You can make a Condor shoot .257 cast bullets at 90 fpe and 200 yards or .25 JSB 25 grain pellets at 25 fpe and 50 yards, it really will depend upon you and how much you want to "customize" your rifle.

Anyway, welcome to the community. No doubt you will find a good rifle.
Agree 100%. I second the airforce suggestion.

The compatto is a very nice rifle. Playing devil's advocate here but the compatto/daystate magazine are second to none in the quality department. You will never need more than just one.....the one the rifle came with.....unless you are in a uncommon situation where you might need two. If you compared theyre magazine to some others in hand you would easily see the difference. Now....with that said.....just about everyones magazines are overpriced for what they are. They are easily 2 to 3 times as good as alot of magazines costing 60 to 80 bucks. You dont need a single shot tray with these mags. Just an opinion is all.
I wouldnt get the compatto for a 100 yards tho. Oldspooks post above is spot on for long distance. 25 or 30 cal would be best for long range. The Mk1 and Mk2 heavies in .25 caliber are very good long range pellets if you got a gun that can really push em to 900 or more.

Krank if your going to use a pump get something air efficient and easy to fill. A regulated gun with a good barrel in 22 cal can get sub half inch groups at 60 yards. After 65 - 70 yards a 25 cal is what is needed for decent consistent groups.

I started with a pump and .22 marauder, after a week I realized buying the pump was a mistake because it limited my shooting. Every time I took a shot I thought about pumping. If your in good shape and dont plan on a lot of shooting a pump is good. The more power the more air and that means more pumping.

That said take a look at the Brocock Concept s6 special($395) at airguns of arizona. Very air efficient and easy to pump, it takes about 50 full pumps to get 21 shots. They are 21 - 24 fpe guns capable of sub half inch at 50 yds. They have an excellent trigger, nice wood, bluing is 1st rate and at 5 pds easy to carry. Negative, they are loud but for under $60 TKO sells an LDC that makes it quiet.

If your going to buy a fill setup and want to shoot out to 100 yds the Mrod .25 is a good choice. They come with green mountain barrels capable of sub 2 inch groups at 100. Hatsan make a 25 in that price range. Evanix Rainstorm is a little more, they have excellent barrels(PA has a 30 cal refurb for $700 shipped with a coupon).

Last you should keep doing research and ask questions before buying. I wish I did before buying my 1st PCP, it would have saved me money, time and aggravation. PA, AGD and AoA have a 10 for $10 service. They check the gun for problems and accuracy before shipping it. Highly recommended if your buying new.

that war flex is looking pretty good. I like the idea I can change out the barrel to a different caliber. I want something that will shoot cast bullets good, and I think the 308 might just do it from what I have read. it would have to be a used one tho. when I get ready to order I don't want to wait 4 weeks or more to get it lol. 

that aas510 is a awesome gun to tho. way to many choices dammit.

.25 marauder seems to be a great gun as well and priced very well.