• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie Introduction

ACHiPo

Jul 24, 2018
CA
Hi,
I'm new to airguns (well, getting reacquainted after many years since hunting frogs as a teen with my grandpa's pump air rifle). 

I have a ground squirrel issue, and after some research, determined airguns are an attractive way to deal with the pests.

I've dived into the rabbit hole and trying to figure out what gun I want. Currently leaning toward a PCP, maybe a Discovery, or maybe something else? Of course I just start making progress on a gun, then start wondering how I'll refill it, so I'm off looking at compressors, desiccant filters, carbon fiber tanks,...

Regards,
Evan

OH boy, you are in trouble! Run, now, while you have time. 

Welcome to ghe addiction, the proverbial Rabbit hole! Try the Search button, there are plenty of “Newby” threads, 

My advice, get a good gun, make sure you know how you are going to fill it. There are plenty of quality guns out there, I recommend a brand that has a dealer near by. Caliber? What distance are you shooting to? Accuracy trumps power. So, go for a good accurate gun, rather than a fast powerful one. 

Christian

Reactions: ACHiPo
Christian,

Thanks! Yeah, it doesn't help that I'm a bit of a gear-s#$t

I haven't found any local dealers, but I've got a fellow hobby-machinist that has been into vintage air guns for a long time and is guiding me in the process. He's about 90 minutes away, close enough to get together once in a while.

It seems 0.22 (or 0.20 if I can find one) is a good compromise for accuracy and lethality. Most of my shooting will be 10-20 yards, so I'm also looking for a gun that I can dial down the power/velocity--I'd love to get 50 shots on a fill if I can.

Already eyeing the Yong Heng compressor with Taxing desiccant filter, and looking for a gun that has valved bottles I can fill and swap rather than messing with a big SCBA tank and dive shop refills.

Evan

I highly recommend .22 for your purposes, quite a few guns will do. Most PCPs out to 20 yards are hole in hole. I personally don’t like the cheap Yung Hens, I almost rather pump by hand. Check out the Altaros booster. Never had one, but I would look at the regulated Marauder or the Regal XL, pic gun material, great accuracy. If you are in Cali, shipping to AoA should not be a huge deal. 

As for budget I started thinking $200 should get me something beyond a toy. Now that I’ve discovered PCP I’m thinking $2500 all-in would get a decent set up. I prefer to buy once rather than a starter gun and trade up (or more likely just buy a more expensive gun/scope/compressor). I’d prefer used, but guns don’t seem to depreciate a whole lot.

See my post in this category under Rifle for target and hunting. I got my deals used. Check the classifieds and you may save some money and may get an enhanced rifle.

Thanks! One of the things I obviously need to figure out is if I want a traditional rifle or bullpup. I started out thinking I wanted a pistol for compact rodent dispatching, but then leaned toward a traditional rifle form factor. Of course a bullpup is kinda in between. Oh and I’m definitely a fan of buying used!

" I’d prefer used, but guns don’t seem to depreciate a whole lot "

That , was, true.

These day's unless it's a "beta" ( you know, YOUR the tester, saves big money in development these day) latest greatest airgun think in the 50-60% of original price.

Just my opinion,

You NEED to get with some other airgunnners!

Everything you have typed indicate you are the type who would appreciate the knowledge gained. Get to a match ( dont have anything to shoot call ahead , might just find a loner) and you WILL learn more in one day than a year on forums, guaranteed ( heck if you honestly can say you didnt learn a thing I'll buy your gas-closest club only).

Dont let FT or BR obfuscate , sure that's the event of the day but everyone there will own and have knowledge of just about every airgun made. Guaranteed.

And, most everyone will be ever so friendly as to let you fire anything they have. Get to know people. A match id THE place to get a good shooting airgun -say one that has won a nationals event for 60% retail.

Now if you going to be one of those "real" airgun folks you'll not want to waste time clicking anymore ( you've done some clicking already eh?) but maybe see if this post "helps" you:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/norcal-shooting-rangeclubs/

Keep us posted,

Your Airgun "friend" ( LOL )

ps: please do not mention my name to the misses

Reactions: ACHiPo

That , was, true.

These day's unless it's a "beta" ( you know, YOUR the tester, saves big money in development these day) latest greatest airgun think in the 50-60% of original price.

Just my opinion,

Everything you have typed indicate you are the type who would appreciate the knowledge gained. Get to a match ( dont have anything to shoot call ahead , might just find a loner) and you WILL learn more in one day than a year on forums, guaranteed ( heck if you honestly can say you didnt learn a thing I'll buy your gas-closest club only).

Dont let FT or BR obfuscate , sure that's the event of the day but everyone there will own and have knowledge of just about every airgun made. Guaranteed.

And, most everyone will be ever so friendly as to let you fire anything they have. Get to know people. A match id THE place to get a good shooting airgun -say one that has won a nationals event for 60% retail.

Now if you going to be one of those "real" airgun folks you'll not want to waste time clicking anymore ( you've done some clicking already eh?) but maybe see if this post "helps" you:

Keep us posted,

Spysir,

This is great advice! Thanks. Will look for a match in my area. There is an airgun club (the Diablo Rod and Gun Club mentioned in the link) about 45 minutes from me. I went to the gun club in Livermore Sunday, but it was as I expected full of only powder burners--not my scene. 

I just checked and there is a test match at Diablo this Sunday. Looks like I'm up for a road trip! I may even bring "the missus" along (it's a strategery thing--invite her, she gets bored, then quite happy to have me do it all by self!)

Thanks!

Evan

That , was, true.

Just my opinion,

Keep us posted,

Thanks to all the great advice I got--my match experience was a success. Shot a bunch of different guns and definitely crossed a few off my list. Will be seriously shopping the used classifieds for a regulated Brocock with Athlon (sp?) scope and FX Ranchero with a red-dot sight. One other gun I shot that I couldn't seem to miss with was a Daystate electric, but that's way above my gag factor. I suspect the scopes/sights had more to do with how well I shot than the guns themselves--definitely need to save room in the budget for great glass!

Glad to hear you went! And so glad that you feel it was worth the time and I do not have to reimburse you for fuel costs .

Now the ranchero I've used and seen at many shoots but did you get to use a brocock ?

I only purchase used scopes face to face, not sure about the athlon ( rather new ) but I'll bet someone in your group has an outstanding out of date quality scope. The 4200 is a standard that is hard to beat, front A/O but great glass.

Continue to show restraint while shopping it does pay off.

Please keep us all updated on whatca get , how dull FT is , why you will never need two airguns, & all that.

John