Newbie in Search of Advice

I am an older shooter, whose air gun experience has been with A Daisy 25, Crossman 105, Crossman 140 and Crossman 130 . Most of which was more years ago than I care to remember. At any rate, I have recently become intrigued with PCP rifles for relatively short range pest control, and eventually, long range shooting, for pests and for targets. Pests involved would be primarily ground squirrels, Invasive birds, and occasionally skunks. Quiet would be good, so as not to fuzz up the neighbor’s dogs. It is also relevant that I am a left handed shooter.

So far I have tried to do research online until my eyes crossed! Based on that, I am looking at a package something like this:

.22 FX Impact w/600mm bbl

Element Titan Scope - I would also be interested in which reticle most find useful in this scope for long range use

FX No Limits rings

Acu tac Bi-pod (model suggestions?)

Nomad 12v/110v compressor

Donnie FL Moderator?

Having no real “hands on” experience, nor acquaintances with any, I am very open to suggestions, and/or comments about this list. Any constructive comments will be greatly appreciated!

Dan

@Daedeye_Dan Good to see a question asked from someone who’s done some leg work. I have no experience with Impacts so I’ll refrain from commenting there. I like the Edgun R5M bullpup platform. Something that may interest you about it as a lefty is that it has an ambidextrous safety and cocking handles. Just don’t attempt to pull the cocking handles back simultaneously. The R5M has a robust build and is relatively simple to disassemble and reassemble for maintenance purposes. If you intend to shoot from a table/bench an Accu-Tac BR-4 should be sufficient or if you prefer a wider base perhaps consider an WB-4. I like Donny FL moderators. A Donny FL Sumo should dampen the sound to the hammer slapping the valve being the loudest part of the shot. You may be able to get away with using a Tanto (the Donny FL suggestions are for use with a variety of air rifles other than an R5M). A .22 caliber air rifle should be sufficient for all of the animals you listed, especially with an assortment of slugs now available from various manufacturers like NSA, Zan, H&N, etc. I have a feeling that there will be others coming with loads of input and varrying opinions. Welcome to the sport/hobby and welcome to AGN. 

That is quite the beginners package! Over $3500 USD. You should be able to do what you stated with a rig/package like that. I would do a lot of reading here on AGN. Real users, posting real world, long term use of many different PCPs and related accessories. You can PM members with particular questions if you wish. Sometimes more is revealed that way than in the public forum. 

My son has a FX Maverick, I've only shot it a few times, but it seems to be a really well made gun. You may be interested to know they don't have a left hand version of a FX that I am aware of. I have heard of some people shooting it south paw but just know the mag is going to be in your cheek. You may want to look at Kalibrgun Cricket, the mag won't be an issue and you can put the cooking lever left or right side. I have the Cricket 2 Tactical in 22 and so far I love it. Solid well built and shoots multiple pellets well. You said you were older but that's all in what your comparing to. You may want to consider an air compressor if your looking at pcp, hand pumping is for the young fellows that need to blow off steam. 

re: bipod

since your rifle doesn't have a forward rail section, i would consider the SR-5 G2 and run the legs forward at 45deg. it is better to have that pivot further forward so it helps that way as well as being wider when deployed than the smaller options. another benefit is there is no back and forth wobble you have when the legs are deployed "normally".

at 45deg, you will start out close to the same height as a smaller bipod at 90deg.

leshiyaccutacCapture.1648596676.JPG

That is quite a package you put together! I am left handed and shoot a Prophet which is easy to go right to left with the magazine as you just push it to the side you want. Right or left. However the cocking lever is on the left side. The dealers I have talked to have always told me if you are left handed and want a FX the Impact is probably your only choice. Have the same pest trouble;e as you and throwing .22 pellets and slugs. No trouble dispatching even large raccoons and ground hogs. It sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun. Eric 

In my humble opinion, that's an awful lot of high end equipment! There is a great amount of mid range guns & accessories that would suit the needs you've stated. Impacts have a lot of bells & whistles that ultimately may end up getting in the way of what you want to do. Many many posts here about new guys putting out big bucks & realizing they might have gotten in over their heads. Again, MY opinion. Check out FX Royale/ Boss/Bobcat platform. They are the simplest line of guns from FX with SUPERBLY accurate barrels, virtually never needing involved maintenance & will deliver reliability & repeatability straight out of the box. If you want to tinker & always be fixing & adjusting something, by all means, get a bells & whistles gun. If you want something that will deliver what you've stated above time after time without the hassle then check out this beautifully simple platform. You don't see a lot of posts on here about them because it's not a platform FX actively markets & because we who own them "never" have problems! Spending big bucks on a new, unfamiliar venture doesn't always equate to satisfaction! 

What you want is initially going to depend on what projectiles and what speed you want to utilize. Form factor, and weight. So I would start there. These may be determed by hunting style. I lean heavily toward offhand. What kind of shot count do you want to see?

Hard to go wrong investing $ in a good scope.

I can't see myself ever wanting or needing anything better than my yong heng compressor. I regularly fill a 75 minute fireman's tank with which I fill several guns.

Moderators are a toss up, but donny does make good products. I have some older huma models that out perform, but they are no longer made to the specs I have. 

To add to this list, you will definitely be want g a chronograph if you don't have one. To properly tune a pcp, especially a modern fx, I'd consider it a necessity. 

That is quite the beginners package! Over $3500 USD. You should be able to do what you stated with a rig/package like that. I would do a lot of reading here on AGN. Real users, posting real world, long term use of many different PCPs and related accessories. You can PM members with particular questions if you wish. Sometimes more is revealed that way than in the public forum.

I really appreciate the input! As you note, it is a signifigant chunk of change, and I am not nearly done with my research! Words of wisdom in that last sentence!!

Thanks!

Nice choice. New m3 are easier to tune then m2. Forget the hand pumping even if you just use it for pest. Dam good choice. I think utah can switch the lever. 22 with a donny is vary quite. Impact took a week to like it over crown. Right now my m3 is chilling. Just ordered slugs from nsa. They say it's their newest 30 slug of the press. Hopefully old formula. Slugs are more picky. Jsb has new slugs coming soon. I Use a tank it last a couple weeks. Mag is 3 1/2 inches center if standing up from floor. Didn't bother when put too left cheek. Cheek peace is kindA for right cheek. 

thats a nice higher end setup .. if i had all that i wouldnt be out behind the chicken coop in the mud and drizzle with it after a rat lol .. you could get a prod and handpump first, there isnt anything much more effective at close in pesting .. light .. simple .. lends itself to the job ..

Thanks for the response. Everything I have read indicates that filling a 480cc tank ceases to become fun in relatively short order. Being older, and "full bodied" I think I will be better off with a portable compressor. BUT, I have no personal experience

re: bipod

since your rifle doesn't have a forward rail section, i would consider the SR-5 G2 and run the legs forward at 45deg. it is better to have that pivot further forward so it helps that way as well as being wider when deployed than the smaller options. another benefit is there is no back and forth wobble you have when the legs are deployed "normally".

at 45deg, you will start out close to the same height as a smaller bipod at 90deg.

Thank you for that! Information on bipods and the differences is sort of hard to come by. That helps a lot!

What you want is initially going to depend on what projectiles and what speed you want to utilize. Form factor, and weight. So I would start there. These may be determed by hunting style. I lean heavily toward offhand. What kind of shot count do you want to see?

Hard to go wrong investing $ in a good scope.

I can't see myself ever wanting or needing anything better than my yong heng compressor. I regularly fill a 75 minute fireman's tank with which I fill several guns.

Moderators are a toss up, but donny does make good products. I have some older huma models that out perform, but they are no longer made to the specs I have. 

To add to this list, you will definitely be want g a chronograph if you don't have one. To properly tune a pcp, especially a modern fx, I'd consider it a necessity.

Thanks for the reply! I can't agree more with your statement about glass. Though most of my experience is with powder burners, I learned long ago that a good scope is usually more important than the gun it goes on!

Not familiar with the Yong Heng compressor. I think I want a portable 12v/110v one as I frequently camp "back of beyond for extended periods. But I am still looking. I will check that out.

You are right on the chronograph. I currently have an older one, but I am interested in the newer dopler ones!

I am thinking at this point that I will start out with pellets. They are cheaper, and most of the action around my house will be under 50yds. Slugs will be down the road a bit when I have time

I don’t think an impact would fit a lefty very well since the large magazine is hanging out the right side. I am not sure if it can be reversed so you might look into that.

Your point is well taken. I know that the cocking lever is reversible on the Mk III, and sort of assumed that the loading port was as well! Something else to research!! The gun does pop up when I do a search for left handed PCP on sellor's websites, so I may have made an assumption not grounded in fact......

Quite the PCP entry package that is!

I love my Impacts for the diversity and how tunable they are. Some lefties say they are fine others say they are not so, I can't really say. But if the large magazine is a problem there are smaller ones available.

The Titan scope only focuses down to 25 yards if memory serves. It is also a very heavy scope. Most of us airgunners like scopes that focus down to ten yards.

The water-less oil-less compressors are not very durable and don't last long.

The Yong Heng compressor is probly the most popular and also probly the best you can do for under $1500. It only costs around $300. But made in China it is like all of the inexpensive compressors. So you have to deal with that.

They are also 110V so you may want a tank also. But for the money you pay for the more expensive units you can get a Yong Heng and a tank and usually be better off.

Yong Heng Info;

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-dedicated-yong-heng-subforum/#post-1127767