Newbie in Search of Advice

Biohazardman,

A lot of good info there. I was totally unaware of the Chinese compressors, and it seems that for the money, they are worth taking a look at! A bit of trouble finding the newer digital ones for sale though!

Good catch on the Titan. I checked the Element site, and they say it will focus down to 15yds. Still a bit farther than I would like. Interestingly, both the lower priced, and the higher priced models will focus down to 10yds. Gotta kinda wonder about that!

I would love to hear from some southpaws who own or have owned an Impact. So far that hasn't happened. I now have questions as to the magazine, and the cheekpiece.

Thanks for your input!

Dan

Rangur1

Thanks for the response! I am still in the process of trying to figure out what I want/need. I am not locked into anything as yet, and will certainly look at your suggestions! That said, my life experience is that I am better off going for high end stuff. Just a few too many disapointments. I am aware that there are some quality deals out there, but sometimes it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff....

Biohazardman,

A lot of good info there. I was totally unaware of the Chinese compressors, and it seems that for the money, they are worth taking a look at! A bit of trouble finding the newer digital ones for sale though!

Good catch on the Titan. I checked the Element site, and they say it will focus down to 15yds. Still a bit farther than I would like. Interestingly, both the lower priced, and the higher priced models will focus down to 10yds. Gotta kinda wonder about that!

I would love to hear from some southpaws who own or have owned an Impact. So far that hasn't happened. I now have questions as to the magazine, and the cheekpiece.

Thanks for your input!

Dan

I’m left handed, used to own an impact mk2.

the mags aren’t an issue. Even the high capacity. They kinda sit behind the chin.

I actually prefer my cocking handle on the right side. If you get an m3 you can flip it. 

cheek piece worked well enough. 

In my humble opinion, that's an awful lot of high end equipment! There is a great amount of mid range guns & accessories that would suit the needs you've stated. Impacts have a lot of bells & whistles that ultimately may end up getting in the way of what you want to do. Many many posts here about new guys putting out big bucks & realizing they might have gotten in over their heads. Again, MY opinion. Check out FX Royale/ Boss/Bobcat platform. They are the simplest line of guns from FX with SUPERBLY accurate barrels, virtually never needing involved maintenance & will deliver reliability & repeatability straight out of the box. If you want to tinker & always be fixing & adjusting something, by all means, get a bells & whistles gun. If you want something that will deliver what you've stated above time after time without the hassle then check out this beautifully simple platform. You don't see a lot of posts on here about them because it's not a platform FX actively markets & because we who own them "never" have problems! Spending big bucks on a new, unfamiliar venture doesn't always equate to satisfaction!

Gerry52,

Your opinion is appreciated and respected! I will look at your suggestions for sure. I fully understand what you are saying. I am not too put off by tinkering. I started working on air guns as a teenager, though they were much simpler back then, and probably not too relevant to current stuff. I think I may still have some of those tools around somewhere. In my other life, before I retired I spent many years as a police armorer, and firearms instructor. But your point is well taken that simple is good, and well worth considering!

the mags aren’t an issue. Even the high capacity. They kinda sit behind the chin.

I actually prefer my cocking handle on the right side. If you get an m3 you can flip it. 

Corny,

Thanks for the input! Nice to hear about other Southpaws experiences. I did note that you said "used to own". Did you encounter issues, or just get bored and move on to something else?

Nice choices on your gear. As a lefty I would suggest that you look at the magazine location as well as the cocking lever, as an example, I was looking at the Edgun matador r5m and it checked the boxes that I was looking for, except for the magazine location. I've been looking at the AGT vulcan 2 tactic wood 

I would add the following items.

range finder it will be useful in the types of shooting that you plan to do.

pull threw cleaning kit. patch worm or the like.

a shooting stick for hunting. bog pod, primos or the like. they are nice for walking around, and handy when you can't deploy the bipod. 

face cream. it will help with the laugh lines your face will develop from this hobby. LOL! Have fun.

TODD

Corny,

Thanks for the input! Nice to hear about other Southpaws experiences. I did note that you said "used to own". Did you encounter issues, or just get bored and move on to something else?

The impact has its quirks…but no I didn’t have any real issues. Just didn’t feel it fit what I was looking for.

Just keep in mind, the impact is a highly tunable bench gun…first and foremost. 

In 2017 I retired and made my plunge into the PCP world. At the time, there was no M3 or Element scopes so I purchased the Impact, a Aztec Emerald Scope, FX rings, Atlas BT10 bipod, a 100 cf 4500 psi tank and then added a Donny Fl Sumo moderator (not much quieter than the FX moderator but it looks cool). Since then, I have upgraded the Impact to a M2 with the Power Plenum and replaced the scope with an Element Titan (MOA dirty recticle) and a Warne LR-SKEL 20 MOA mount. All of this for a list of lessons learned (IMHO).

1. You will not regret going high end to start. FX Impact (to me) has quality and workmanship that just cannot be had with the lesser price guns. I shoot clays and have a top tier O/U. I feel that the Impact matches this quality in the air gun world and is worth the $$ if one can afford it. Word of caution, if you absolutely are shooting left-handed try a Impact before you buy, it's not real lefty friendly.

2. Just because the Impact is infinitely adjustable does not mean one has to. You will want to tweak your gun but wade into those waters gradually and understand where you are going with it. There are a bazillion videos and tutorials on this and if you have questions this forum is the best place in the world to start looking for answers.

3. A bipod is a must with the Impact. Stay with quality, I like my Atlas but I'm sure the AccuTac is as good or better the way everyone talks about them here.

4. The Elements are hefty but the quality you pay for is the quality you get. I don't regret buying one. The optics are great and the turrets look and feel solid as a rock with absolute repeatability. Min. focus is only 15yds but I can't remember ever needing to shoot a target less than that. I like the Warne mount.

5. Air? If you are not planning on going with the big bores and shooting long range slugs at 1000 fps you will be surprised at how many times you can shoot this gun with a 100 cf air tank filled to 4500 psi using .22 18.13gn pellets. If you can find a dive center, fire station or paintball playground in your area that can pump to 4500 psi I would highly recommend going this route to start and diving into the compressor matrix only if/when necessary.

Welcome aboard.