Newbie goes pesting first time

I have been itching to do some real pest shooting with the air guns for a while now. Finally got a break in the work schedule and I have a buddy who is a cattle rancher with a feed lot and a bunch of cultivated ground.
He had been complaining to me about his pigeon problems so I offered to come out and help him out with the air guns. He laughed and said come on out and good luck with the pellet guns.
Saturday was the first day and the wife and I shot 25 pigeon and one collared dove In about 2.5 hours.
41E03330-4FED-44D5-9F42-F42C61C93FDE.jpeg

Sorry for the focus on this one.

The pic shows only 19 pigeons and the collared dove. Lost three that fell into the bull pen. Literally where his angus bulls live. I was not willing to hop the fence to fetch the birds. Two more fell into his swamp and I was not going in there to fetch those. Mrs. Chukar shot the biggest portion of them with her Maverick VP 22.
No mistaking her gun with the pink anodized moderator. Local mfg called Impulse Air. I got for her because they were willing to do the custom color in pink. I was happily surprised at how god the moderator is. Quieter than the Donny FL/FX mod and did not affect accuracy.

Today my youngest daughter and husband came out to the ranch for a visit. I let them shoot the wife’s VP and my Maverick 25 Compact. After about 1/2 an hour of shooting paper and some swinging metal targets out to about 80 yards they wanted to go give the pigeons a try.
Total take today was 37 collected. being a bit more judicious with where we shot the birds we were able to collect all of them this time
92C92863-CABC-4103-B981-5E9A486448DE.jpeg

The rancher was very happy and we were invited back anytime we wanted to come out.
I had not given much thought to the issues involved in shooting around cattle and equipment. Lots of caution goes a long way. We were able to shoot several pigeons then use them as decoys in the area where they mix feed. That allowed us to shoot away from the area the cattle were in and offered a large hay stack as a backstop. Shots ranged from 30- 50 yards.

Great write up and good photos. As a weird dog guy, I'd like to see more of the pups.
Using dead birds for decoys is an effective tactic. The Brits have done this for years with pigeon cradles. I use jack pyke cradles. If the ground is too hard, I'll set them in a lead base.

Great write up and good photos. As a weird dog guy, I'd like to see more of the pups.
Using dead birds for decoys is an effective tactic. The Brits have done this for years with pigeon cradles. I use jack pyke cradles. If the ground is too hard, I'll set them in a lead base.
I am just a dumb ol redneck at heart and just laid them out breast down and wings pulled slightly to the outside. Anything that had feathers ruffling in the wind came out of the “spread” and into the pile.
The dogs legs you can see are two of my Britts. I have three because the only thing I like more than air gunning is chasing quail with pointers.
The best part is I have 3 potential converts to air guns. Daughter, husband and the rancher. See how far they pursue it.

Reactions: Hal4son