• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie FX Questions

When you say squirrel hunting are you talking about the grey squirrel or one of the out west species. If you are talking grey squirrel hunting in the woods you want a short and light rifle or bullpup whose weight won't tire you out and the length won't snag branches. I like the .25 caliber for grey squirrels in particular because it will put them down with a chest shot. If you won't be hunting in the woods you could get a longer rifle but I find the compact rifles so easy to carry and maneuver. The Wildcat Compact would be an excellent choice but I would consider the Dreamline Bullpup. It is about 33 inches long weighs less than six pounds and has a larger capacity magazine of 16 shots in .25 caliber. The other thing about the Dreamline series is you can easily adjust it for lower power pesting situations not to mention future refining the rifles configuration to ultimately fit you needs. The one thing that the Wildcat has over the Dreame Pup is the forward cocking lever but that is not a game breaker. The price is a little less than the Wildcat too. Bill

I'm at 15000 plus on my Royale 500 before I moved the parts into a Boss. Original valvepin oring, original valve seat oring and on and on. Dead nuts reliable platform. Gone through a few breech orings and a few of the orings between the fitting that goes from the bottle connection to the action. (From adjusting the regulator)

As I've said before, new isn't always better.

I'm going to echo these guys statements. No tinkering what so ever. Pull it from the box and shoot bug holes. 3 power levels with a twist of a dial. From basement to bush your good to go. Im afraid they are going to faze this wonderful rife out soon. Grab one and don't look back.

I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to two choices at this time. The Wildcat MKII and the Royale 500. Reviews on the Wildcat says it is pretty loud which is a factor. Is the moderator that come with it from the factory all that good or will I need to purchase a better one. No deal breaker either way. 25 caliber for sure and I will be hunting in wooded areas.

Thanks again to all,

Lonnie

I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to two choices at this time. The Wildcat MKII and the Royale 500. Reviews on the Wildcat says it is pretty loud which is a factor. Is the moderator that come with it from the factory all that good or will I need to purchase a better one. No deal breaker either way. 25 caliber for sure and I will be hunting in wooded areas.

Thanks again to all,

Lonnie

And to shoot .22 from a Royale 500 all you need is a royale 400 barrel and less than 30$ in parts to have the option of changing calibers. Take 5 minutes to change things over. 

I even shoot .22 as well from the .25 mags. No problem.

If you can by any chance, handle and shoot a bullpup first. I've owned 2, but just couldn't get used to them. YMMV

My newphew's father has an FX Bull Pup style 22. I am like you as they look clunky to me. I held it and he told me to shoot it, but I didn't. Felt pretty good actually for the little I handled it. I was surprised. Something FX appears inevitable at this time. Most likely the Wildcat MKII. I have decided against the Compact because of shot capacity. Do the hand pumps work OK for refilling? I might get by with a stock modifier, but will definitely need to recharge the thing. Pellets??

Thanks again ya'll,

Lonnie