• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie FX Questions

I am new to air gunning and my nephew had me shoot his FX rifle and it blew me away with the modern technology. I want to hunt squirrels around my place and I want 3 things. Accuracy, accuracy and accuracy. Not wanting to tinker, modify or build anything, just shoot accurately out of the box. I won't mind some minor testing of pressures and different pellet weights to find what the gun likes best, but that will be about it for now. Thinking on an FX Impact MkII in 25 caliber as I want a bit of weight on the projectile to buck the wind. From what I read the JSB Exact King might be a good pellet to start with. My brother wants to duplicate what I do so we will be ordering 2 of everything. Money is not a big issue. All input appreciated.

Thanks,

A new uneducated member.

If you want FX, look at the Wildcat. Doesn't make much difference between .22 and .25, BCs are about the same between the .25 Kings and the .22 Heavies. So for "bucking the wind", either works as well as the next. To get a step up in wind bucking ability, you'd need to shoot the .22 RD Monster 25.4 grain or the .25 JSB Heavy 34 grain pellets. But for a "un-box, mount scope, sight in and start hunting" gun, the Wildcat is hard to beat in the FX lineup. You could also look at Vulcan, Cricket, and Taipan if you're open to other than FX. No difference in accuracy between the Impact and the Wildcat. Impact close to twice the price...

Get together with more airgun folks. Fire few more airguns, this will save you money as well as enlighten your buying decisions.

In general many "newbie" airgunnners are well served with something somewhat simple and reliable. A basic regulated take it out of the box, find right pellet (or buy from a dealer who sets it up and tell's you whats what and the only one I know of is SPAW, you might benefit from a call to them?) and shoot tiny groups rig. The FX Impact is the exact opposite of that. You would be hard pressed to find an airgun with more variables which may be very nice for the advanced but an airgun you might ruin the warranty and/or damage by turning an external adjustment - and your other "new" friends will touch it sometime right?- might not be the very best choice.

If you feel a need for an FX one of the other models would seem a better "out of the box shooter" choice?

Do keep us posted on whatca get.

John

i really only hunt with my rifles.although I have not hunted with it yet the 25 FX streamline I have will be rifle I use first time I squirrel hunting this fall.i have many pcp rifles,mrods,hatsans,sumatra,evanix and the FX streamline.the 25 streamline shoots the 25.39 pellet around 896fps for 30 shots,thats plenty to get some squirrels.very accurate out to 50 yards for me.i haven't got to shoot it at greater distances.

SPAW

Ken Hicks will custom tune the gun for your purposes. He bullet proofs it by replacing weak components (adjusts the valve, regulator, hammer spring and some secret sauce). He breaks in the barrel while finding the accuracy "sweet spot" at various ranges.

When you get the gun from him it will be ready to go. He is a great guy to do business with, a national competitor, and winner. He has tuned two Impacts for me. His workmanship is impeccable and he has made me a loyal customer for life.

1562706240_19549758465d250140c59765.96256260_20190704_164140.jpg

I'm at 15000 plus on my Royale 500 before I moved the parts into a Boss. Original valvepin oring, original valve seat oring and on and on. Dead nuts reliable platform. Gone through a few breech orings and a few of the orings between the fitting that goes from the bottle connection to the action. (From adjusting the regulator)

As I've said before, new isn't always better. 

A lot of choices for sure. You all have talked me out of the Impact for sure. I don't need the complicated stuff. I was leaning toward the Wildcat II but then again I am a traditional bolt action rifle fan as I have several Anschutz high end .22's, 22 magnums, 17 HMR's etc. Now you come along and tease me with the Royale and the Dreamline. I like the looks of both of those. I have also emailed Ken at SPAW for advice and I might just have him work something up for me. All of your opinions are greatly appreciated and have unlocked my tunnel vision a bit. My one concern with the Wildcat is it is a lower shot capacity than others. Please keep the advice coming because I want to blame you all when what I get doesn't work!! :) Thanks to all and again keep the advice coming. You all are awesome with sharing your knowledge.

I've got a Wildcat MKII Compact for the exact purpose you're looking for. I took it out of the box, mounted my scope and bipod, hand pumped it up in 3 minutes and had it sighted in pretty well after the first magazine shooting JSB Kings.

I plan on getting an Impact X MKII eventually but the Wildcat is a pretty awesome gun and should definitely give you what you're looking for.