Newbie curious about pcp's

Ovid

Aug 29, 2016
I'm new to ag's and really know nothing about them. I'm interested in pcp's because I like the idea of being able to hunt with the gun cocked and not have to be concerned with spring fatigue. I also like the challenge of being able to 'reach' out there and shoot at distance.
​I'm a senior citizen with arthritis issues so pumping up any pcp is out of the question. I also like to keep things simple, so scuba tanks and what not to pressurize the gun just doesn't appeal to me at all.
what is the simplest way to charge a pcp? I'm not rich but I indulge my hobbies, so for the purposes of this discussion let's assume that money is not a problem;
​What gun and charging system might be best for me?
thanks.

Hi Ovid

You may want to consider a short bullpup for easy carry. something like a Mutant Short .22 (good for 55 yards) or Wildcat .25 if you want to extend to 100yards. There are other options such as Vulcan etc.

Scuba tank or hand pump are the only two options. And you seem to have ruled out both. However if you have a scuba shop nearby then scuba tank option is the easiest, quickest and simplest.

Welcome to the darkside..... I agree with both of the above reccomendations! I also have a mutant in short and reg, love them both!!!!

honestly the easiest way to charge will be a tank (either carbon fiber or scuba) otherwise you will be pumping. Pumping will be the most simple but with a cost of being physically demanding. A good pump should be in the range of $100-300

Most will say that they started with a pump but have switched to a tank of some sort. Some things to keep in mind are with tanks you will need a place that is close (a relative term based on how much you shoot and distance you need to travel). If you decide to go scuba, they are usually easier to fill 3,000-3700psi. They also provide less fills due to less psi compared to carbon fiber. Also they tend to be much heavier. One advantage is that they are much cheaper ~$150-300

carbon fiber tanks are able to fill to 4,500 psi but need special equipment to fill to 4,500. These tanks are generally lighter, although they cost much more ~$600-800

personally i feel like carbon fiber is the way to go, more fills per tank, lighter, and smaller. I started with a pump and keep it as a backup, but i have not looked back since ownership of the carbon fiber tank.

As far as being complicated it is simple. Plug in hose to foster fitting on tank, plug other end to foster fitting on gun. Then crack the valve open slowly, watch the guage fill then close the valve when reading at correct pressure. Release the pressure relief valve to bleed air in hose, disconnect from gun and shoot!

Very easy, hope this helps

-cally

Ovid, welcome to my world and AirGun Nation
I am far from new to airguns, but sounds we have several things in common. I have a bad back, need a right knee and have torn my right rotor cuff...getting older is not a breeze. I have tried break barrels, did not like the problems for me to cock most. Also, as with all air rifles, there are hold problems that arise for accuracy. Then I purchased my 1st underlever, TX200 MK3 which was a breath of fresh air. Besides being a beautiful air gun, very easy for me to cock and extremely accurate. 2 other under leavers followed closely behind. Could not get the PCP out of the back of my mind. I knew pumping was not an option for me, since I could not find a refill shop close, I had given up. Then, almost like magic, I ran into an old friend I had not seen in years. To preface that, the only Paintball shop in the area had closed several years ago. Well, come to find out, the old friend is the owner of the old Paintball shop and it is not closed, he just had to make it "Private" due to his insurance. He told me he goes by the Paintball shop about every afternoon when he gets off his paying job. Said shoot him a text and he would reply with what time to meet him at his shop,...PLUS it is less than 5 miles from me. He has a commercial 4500 psi 4 tank refill station and has been to several schools on high power air, compressors and air guns, both PCP and Paintball. So I would recommend, unless you wish to purchase a SCBA compressor , not a Scuba (huge difference, SCBA are the carbon fiber tanks firemen wear when in smoky conditions and most fill to 4500 PSI where scuba tanks only fill to 3000 psi (as I understand, I am no expert) and end up much heavier. Depending on the PCP and the pressure it shoots at, a Scuba would not help much where a SCBA tank, depending on size, can refill a PCP many times over especially if filling to 3000 psi. I would find my air source before going any further. Having a PCP gun does no good without high pressure air.
For me, after reading for several years, the Benjamin Marauder seemed the way to go as a start. You can pick up a new unmodified one in .177, .22 and .25 cal for as little as $399 new (refurbished) or $499 sealed box (looking in the right places can help find discounts especially now with Labor Day sales). The Marauder is a good platform to start with and can be highly modified to shoot smoother, faster, or with more power depending on your uses and desires. You will need a scope which if you are like me, will depend on how your eyes have aged. Then other accessories as time passes, pellets are a must have.
This hopefully will give you an idea how I went about the process. I am sure others will step up with their personal advise.
One last edit to check on, most fire stations fill their own SCBA tanks. You may wish to check with any Fire Departments in your area. SOME fill them for free, some have a small charge and other can or will not fill them for different reasons.
Hope his helps
Charles

Money might not be an issue but you certainly have a budget in mind? Otherwise you'll get advice from all ranges and it will prove less helpful. My advice is to first establish a budget for both the gun and air system. You can deviate from your budget but at least have a starting point. Next determine what you prefer gun wise. Are you a rifle person or can you settle for a shorter carbine/bullpup? Then determine if you must have new or would you consider used? Some people a select taste for owning new but you can definitely stretch your funds if you purchase used. Having this baseline will result in better advice in my opinion. At the end of the day, trust your instincts and buy what you want/like and not what someone with no similarities to you suggest.

as much as I hate to say it unlimited funs don't fix the issue hes asking as it still requires a tank or some sort of fill station now ive thought about this same thing when my great grand father was still alive a few years ago when I got my first pcp as he taught my father who taught me and he didn't have the strength really to pump anything but why pump when you can twist
​for you my friend id suggest an Air force air gun single shot with a CO2 adapter so all you have to do is buy c02 cylinders with a threaded end and screw it all together
they will give you a lot of shots but it also has its down side
overtime the money you spend on co2 will be greater then that of an air pump
the fps can vary depending on temp as co2 is more sensitive
​overall fps will have dropped so I'm not sure how much of a hunter this would be fore you
​but overall this would be the simplest and easiest pap for you In my opinion
​I hope this helped gl to ya

If money was no issue then a small compressor could well be the easiest and simplest option.

If mobility is a problem then I could see how dragging a large tank to a store for refills might be an issue. That being said, carbon fiber tanks are not that heavy and you'll need some strength to hold pcp rifles anyway. 

I think that scba tanks offer the most flexibility as you can take them with you to the range etc. A compressor usually has to stay at home. Even if I bought a compressor, I would probably still want a small tank for the road. 

The way to minimize hassle with tanks or pumps is to buy an efficienct pcp gun that makes best use of the air so you only need to fill your scba tanks once a month or every two months. The most efficient guns get 60 or more shots per fill. The least efficient get 2 or 3....

You might want to check out the FX Indy as an easy alternative. It is pumped using a cylinder built into the gun. While pumping is involved (and lots of it), it is considerably easier and less uncomfortable than using hand pumps. 

One way or another, you're going to have to fill that air reservoir. 

"zebra"If money was no issue then a small compressor could well be the easiest and simplest option.

If mobility is a problem then I could see how dragging a large tank to a store for refills might be an issue. That being said, carbon fiber tanks are not that heavy and you'll need some strength to hold pcp rifles anyway. 

I think that scba tanks offer the most flexibility as you can take them with you to the range etc. A compressor usually has to stay at home. Even if I bought a compressor, I would probably still want a small tank for the road. 

The way to minimize hassle with tanks or pumps is to buy an efficienct pcp gun that makes best use of the air so you only need to fill your scba tanks once a month or every two months. The most efficient guns get 60 or more shots per fill. The least efficient get 2 or 3....

You might want to check out the FX Indy as an easy alternative. It is pumped using a cylinder built into the gun. While pumping is involved (and lots of it), it is considerably easier and less uncomfortable than using hand pumps. 

One way or another, you're going to have to fill that air reservoir. 

I agree, for instance, The large Air Hog 88 cu ft Whole Hog Carbon Fiber SCBA Tank Set.. I WAS TOLD, when full weighs approximately 18 lbs with 4200 psi. I do not yet know if this is true for a fact. I purchased one less than 2 years old for an excellent price should be here in the next 2 days. There are smaller tanks out there that weigh less than 5 lbs filled but how many fills will your particular PCP gun will get differs from different air guns. It gets to a very fine balancing act on what,t you want to do against what you can afford to do against, in my case, what I physically do. It is a tough decision so take your time. If there is a PCP dealer in your area, go over and look, handle some different air rifles and tanks if they stock them. If no dealer, check around for someone close to you that might have PCPs. In my case, I only have the forums to read and ask questions. A hit or miss setting so far. but I am confident I can find something to my liking.
Charles 

well I have gone down this road in the last year. And at this point in pcp guns I only have a maximus and synrod both in .22. I filled the marauder one time with the hill 4 pump and was on the phone ordering a great white tank. So I think you will spend between 1k and 2k setting up what you want. Try to buy once and not cut any corners and its cheaper in the long run.

I also have a AA TX200 that with the scope was around 12 hundred in walnut? And for me its not about the money at all..............but about the time you think you want to pick up a phone and order a new rifle you see the next post on how much trouble a person is having with that rifle. And I know for every 100 new guns the 2 or 3 that don't work perfect gets the most attention on forums. I don't even know how it would be to go into a store like AOA. I could see a 10k check being written before I got out the door.

If you were a friend I would tell you to buy a marauder, maybe even in .22 since I like mind so much in that cal(good thing I didn't read all the old posts about trouble with the old .22 mrod barrels). With the AGN crosman 20% discount or other deals you can get one for around $400. Figure around $300 for a scope and you can spend more or less. Go ahead and get a carbon fiber tank they are so easy to use. Really easy to use! But first do as I did and call around and find a dive shop or some other place that will fill the tanks up close to the 4500psi. I found a shop 9 miles from home, and since that tank fills my rifles 60 times I don't go very often. Its $6 a fill and I leave it over night with them. So you can spend anywhere from $400 to $900 on the carbon fiber tank. And I'm from the school of bigger is better?

Any way have fun with the trip to the dark side AKA owning a pcp air gun. And trust me others can sure help you spend your money if you believe all your read.

To simplify all that has been stated:

You need a gun ($200 to $2K).
You need an air source! Hand Pump ($200, difficult to use..strenuous, not possible for you as you stated) ,
Compressor (About $2K) or a
Tank ($700 for a new high end setup) PLUS a place to get it filled frequently.

Sub options exist in each area.

If spring fatigue is your primary concern then you can get a Nitro Piston Gun which does not fatigue and does not require expensive support equipment.

Thurmond

"Goodtogo"well I have gone down this road in the last year. And at this point in pcp guns I only have a maximus and synrod both in .22. I filled the marauder one time with the hill 4 pump and was on the phone ordering a great white tank. So I think you will spend between 1k and 2k setting up what you want. Try to buy once and not cut any corners and its cheaper in the long run.

I also have a AA TX200 that with the scope was around 12 hundred in walnut? And for me its not about the money at all..............but about the time you think you want to pick up a phone and order a new rifle you see the next post on how much trouble a person is having with that rifle. And I know for every 100 new guns the 2 or 3 that don't work perfect gets the most attention on forums. I don't even know how it would be to go into a store like AOA. I could see a 10k check being written before I got out the door.

If you were a friend I would tell you to buy a marauder, maybe even in .22 since I like mind so much in that cal(good thing I didn't read all the old posts about trouble with the old .22 mrod barrels). With the AGN crosman 20% discount or other deals you can get one for around $400. Figure around $300 for a scope and you can spend more or less. Go ahead and get a carbon fiber tank they are so easy to use. Really easy to use! But first do as I did and call around and find a dive shop or some other place that will fill the tanks up close to the 4500psi. I found a shop 9 miles from home, and since that tank fills my rifles 60 times I don't go very often. Its $6 a fill and I leave it over night with them. So you can spend anywhere from $400 to $900 on the carbon fiber tank. And I'm from the school of bigger is better?

Any way have fun with the trip to the dark side AKA owning a pcp air gun. And trust me others can sure help you spend your money if you believe all your read.
For 4500 psi Tank fills, you can also check with local fire departments, some will, some won't, Paintball shops or even to my surprise, some fire extinguisher service business fill SCBA tanks to 4500 psi and do Hydro re certifications.. Or check around with people you know, there may be someone that is in your area that already has a home compressor to fill tanks. Stranger things have happened.
Charles

You might look into the QB78 rifle series that Archer Airguns offers. They run on Co2 cartridges or bulk fill tanks, are cheap, easily modified and accurate. Even the full custom package with power mods will come in at around $250. There'll be some velocity variation due to temperature, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
http://www.archerairguns.com/qb78-airgun-family-air-rifles-s/27.htm

"Goodtogo" I don't even know how it would be to go into a store like AOA. I could see a 10k check being written before I got out the door.
For a free shopping trip to that store I would give them my firstborn. Matter of fact I would give them all my "born". I am absolutely serious!!! lol

Thurmond (58 and no children and no chance of it either) :p

If money is no object, then your simplest and easiest way to get air would be to purchase an Omega or Daystate compressor. Both are fairly straight forward to operate. Park that next to a 4500 psi SCBA tank (not scuba). Those two compressors will fill the SCBA tank fairly quickly. Once the SCBA tank is full, it is only a matter of connecting to the gun via fill probe or foster fitting and it literally takes seconds to fill the gun. Depending on the gun you will get dozens of refills from the SCBA tank before it needs to be topped off again from the compressor. Also depending on the gun, you will get several hundred to thousands of shots before needing to top off the tank. Once you have the compressor and tank set up, filling the gun is a easy as connecting and disconnect the foster fittings.

As far as a gun, you might look at something light. There is an extensive line of FX guns many of which are very light and super accurate. There are others but I'm kind of an FX fanboy and it's easy for me to recommend them.

You can get an Omega compressor for ~$1700? Check the website for Airgunsofarizona.com.

You can get the SCBA tanks for ~ $650? Airgunsofarizona again or Pyrimidair.com is another great retailer.

If you get a nice FX gun or something similar that will give you a better chance of out of the box laser accuracy without needing to tinker.......~$1300 to $1800 depending on the gun you decide on. FX can be found at Airgunsofarizona and Precisionairgunsandsupplies.com.

Then a scope if you don't already have one. The Hawke line of scopes are highly recommended in the airgun community. I've had 3 and like them all. Also look at Aeon scopes, MTC scopes, etc. ~$300-$600.

Miscellaneous items like pellets, cleaning supplies, bi-pod, shooting bags, etc. ~$100 to $400 depending on how crazy you go.

Taking all of that into consideration, you can have an extremely convenient, very easy to use fill station and awesome PCP for ~$4600. Add an additional $1200 if you want to step up to the mack daddy of compressors and splurge on the Daystate. Certainly not necessary from an ease of use standpoint but it will cut the time it takes to top off your tank down to about 15 minutes, which will then get you thousands of shots before needing to be used again.

I've done business multiple times with all the retailers I've mentioned and they've all been great to deal with. Very straight forward and hassle free. Good luck with whatever you choose!!!

Regards,
Cliff

"Ovid"
​I'm a senior citizen with arthritis issues so pumping up any pcp is out of the question. I also like to keep things simple, so scuba tanks and what not to pressurize the gun just doesn't appeal to me at all.

There's no free lunch at the physics table. You have to get the energy into the gun somehow. Tanks may sound like a hassle, but the purchase price is really the worst part. Carbon tanks are light and easy on the joints. Much easier than a springer (break barrel) or hand pump for a PCP.

If you got a .22 PCP and set it up with a low power tune, you could easily get 2000+ shots from a carbon tank. Depending on how much you shoot, that may last a long time. I don't find the job of occasionally getting tanks filled inconvenient, when I consider how convenient they make filling a laser accurate, high power, zero effort PCP.

The question about which air rifle to buy first is the one that generates differing opinions like no other. We are fortunate to have a number of excellent air rifles to choose from in almost every price range these days. The number of options available means you have to narrow it down with criteria to stop the list becoming overwhelming. 

What I heard from you is that you are a senior citizen with arthritis who likes hunting. You want to be able to shoot at longer ranges and you don't mind treating yourself to the good stuff. To me, that suggests that a bullpup is right for you.

I'm not a senior citizen but I do suffer with arthritis in my joints and I like to hunt, so I can relate to some some extent. The air cylinder on pcp guns makes them feel front heavy. Shorter center balanced bullpups are easier on achy joints. 

On the range thing, usually higher calibers allow greater long range accuracy. What sort of ranges do you intend to shoot at? I find 25 cal air guns to be a good balance of range, shot count, power and noise but that's for my needs. I mainly shoot at 50 yards and rarely more than 100. 

If you are hunting small or small medium sized game, I think a Vulcan or a Wildcat would be an excellent choice for you.. They should be light enough to go easy on your joints. 

If you are looking to shoot beyond 150 yards or hunt medium to medium large game, check out the 30 cal Bobcat MK2. 

Lots of good information on here, Sometimes just to much to absorb for a new person...
Read all you can, Light weight is your friend, So I think you will be looking at the light weight Bull Pups .
Tag has a lot of good information on Pups, Lots of old farts over there to .
http://talonairgun.com/forum/index.php?sid=7a72e5a04fff24f44b6ed958528ef811
I
might get in trouble from this site telling you to go and read all you can on the guns you think you might want from other sites.
Just visit all the sites you can get on and take your time and read,
I think this sport is very expensive to get into for the average Joe, Gun, compressor, scope, tanks,,,
But once your in it the shooting is fun and very cheap, compared to the power burners,,,
Mike