• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie checking in.

Hello. I've been working on learning about PCP's lately and am in the market for one. Wife wants all the magpies to die! haha. So far based on my research I think I'm after an Air Venturi Avenger. I'm wanting to get a .25 cal since I have some raccoon control to do as well. Lots of good info here. I think due to costs I am looking at just getting a hand pump to start. Think this is a bad idea?? Thanks!

The Avenger is pretty solid for a cheap gun. It definitely looks cheap and feels cheap but once you get it all figured out it sure doesn't group cheap.

Hand pumps are not fun if you're a small guy. Shoot, they aren't fun if you are a big guy but definitely more manageable. A Yong Heng is like $300 and will fill your gun in under a minute vs an hour of pumping by hand and being to worn out to shoot when its finally full. When I (rarely) hand pump I usually only go up to 200bar and deal with the lower shot count. It gets pretty difficult at higher pressures.

Thanks for the reply. So it seems like the original fill will take a lot of work with a hand pump...but what about if I only shoot like 10-20 shots at a time then pump again? Is that still a ton of work? Does the quality of the pump make a big difference too?
I use a Hill MK4 and it definitely feels a bit better than the cheap ones but also costs like 4x more. For what a Hill costs I would probably recommend just spending the little more on a Yong Heng

Reactions: dgeesaman
Dylan,
Welcome, sir, glad you've joined. Listen to Sqwirlfugger, he speaks the truth. My suggestion for your first PCP is to wait till October 24, when the JTS Airacuda Max ($420) is supposed to come on the market, according to Pyramyd Air. Do yourself a favor and watch some of the reviews on YouTube, no other "starter" PCP is going to give more bang-for-your-buck. Beautiful wood stock, all-metal construction, perfectly designed metal magazine, smooth side-lever cocking, picatinny rail and on and on. Nothing cheap about it except the price. WM

Dylan,
Welcome, sir, glad you've joined. Listen to Sqwirlfugger, he speaks the truth. My suggestion for your first PCP is to wait till October 24, when the JTS Airacuda Max ($420) is supposed to come on the market, according to Pyramyd Air. Do yourself a favor and watch some of the reviews on YouTube, no other "starter" PCP is going to give more bang-for-your-buck. Beautiful wood stock, all-metal construction, perfectly designed metal magazine, smooth side-lever cocking, picatinny rail and on and on. Nothing cheap about it except the price. WM
Oh great now there's another one to consider! haha. Yeah that looks like a sweet set up...

i prefer a tank,
hand pumps are brutal IMO

and most people don't realize that you can sometimes get an scba tank from your local fire stations,
ive got them for as cheap as 20 bucks,up to 50.

then get an ebay fill system for under 60 bucks and youre in business.

plus they will fill them for you too.

id go that route before a pump.
Yes I did read that someone else was saying the same thing. Thinking I'm going to reach out and see what I can find with local fire. Where can I find info about what I would need for the "fill system"?

might have been me saying it haha

i tend to let people realize they dont need a brand new 800+ dollar tank lol

get em on ebay. most are similar,

you can get high priced ones,but ive been using the cheap ones for years.

heres a link to the one i have.
all you would need is a tank to attach it to,
it already comes with a hose with a female foster that will fit the gun (or fill probe if you get a gun that uses one)