N/A Newbie backyard PCP for pesting

Hi all - brand new to the forum. Moved to a small avocado farm (~2ac) about a year ago here in Southern Californistan, and realized a couple months back that we have a rodent problem around our chickens. Handled them with a pump action BB rifle until I got my son a Gamo .177 breakbarrel at TSC a couple months back, and now I’m fixated on getting a *real* air rifle and an IR scope to do this right. :)

I’ve been leaning toward a BRK Ghost in .25 and a Pard NV008, so’s I could handle rats, skunks, and trash pandas as the need arises. I’d like to stay under $3,000 all in. I’ve also been very tempted by Benjamin P-Rods in .22, as most shots I’ve been taking around our trees are under 10yds. I also know that I’m brand new to this whole field, so I might be missing something crucial or not understanding some aspect that I ought to be considering. Hence, this post.

What would y’all recommend to someone in my boat? All the lots around us are similarly sized, so a barrel shroud is probably all the noise moderation I need from a neighborly standpoint. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas!

I think you are definitely on the right track! Brocok makes outstanding built solid PCP's and the Ghost series do have a power wheel that will work great when you need to tone the power down. AoA is the service center for Brocock/Daystate. An air fill source is just as important for the gun. Depending on air availability, an inexpensive 4500psi compressor off of amazon with an extended warranty and a larger filtration device would be recommended unless there is a dive shop/Firehouse nearby that would fill a fill tank for you. These compressors run about 250-400 bucks. You probably will want a smaller scope, an FFP like a Westhunter 4-16x50 FFP are well under $300 off of amazon will be great in the field for easy magnification changes with no change of POI.

Reactions: 17dean
I would say a Huntsman Revere . right out of the box accurate ,does not breakdown , or very very rare , no fiddling required , around $1400 so you can spend for a better compressor , or a tank to fill if you have a dive shop close enough to fill the tank .
DO NOT cheap out on the compressor . save your frustration for the racoon's

I will make my standard recommendation, a Snowpeak P35 or a Stoeger bullshark (almost exactly the same gun). They are under $500. The 25 can be tuned to nearly 50 fpe. I killed a small raccoon with my P35-22 (32 fpe). They are normally accurate but you may have to tune some to get there. My 22 arrived shooting great, the 177 didn't need much but the 25 did not shoot really well until I added a larger plenum (needed to get to 50 fpe). They are inexpensive enough you could have a 22 for smaller critters and a 25 for the coons and possums. SPA has a P35X on their website which has a 65cc plenum - a big one - and a longer 530mm barrel. I don't know when it will actually be available but it should work great in a 25 - probably get to at least 55 fpe. Should drive big 34 grain pellets to at least 850 fps or so. I am at just over 800 fps with my P35.

P35s need the trigger adjusted when you get it, the first stage will be too heavy but it is a simple adjustment. The hammer spring will likely not be set well for the regulator setting but that's easy to fix. They are light (5 lbs), short (under 30 inches), accurate (mine have all shot over 190 at the 30 yard challenge) and well built.

You may want to look at the new Arken Zulus night vision day/night scope. It costs more than a P35 but is a good buy at $599 for this kind of scope. It has a rangefinder and will show you where to aim for the distance to your target.

I like my compressor, a Yong Heng, but it needs a bit of space for it and the water to cool it. I've added a small radiator and extra fans for cooling and a second moisture filter. Not hard or expensive but more to do. A GX CS2, 3, or 4 seems like a simpler way to go. Much smaller motor but more self contained and quieter. If you only want to fill the gun they should work well. Even a hand pump will work but it will take hundreds of strokes. I use an expired 45 minute SCBA tank to fill my guns and the YH fills the tank. The firemans tank is very portable, the YH not so much.

This is my recipe for ratting 7-30yard (even my setup is very low power 5.5ft/lbs-7.5joule but perfect kill zone for the range)
$1130 RTI Priest2 .177 https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/rti-priest-2-standard-black/#tab-1
$250 Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 (or 3-9x40 https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/scopes/hawke-air-max-3-9x40-ao-amx/)
$36 good rings as https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/sc...pc-high-weaver/picatinny-1-inch-scope-mounts/
and $300 for a Pard NV007V
With the rest of the budget you may buy a second one in .22 or .25

IMG_20231227_175501_083.jpg

Benjamin P-Rod is an excellent steel and walnut choice for your son. Very accurate with a ton of accessories available should you desire.
The PARD DS35 series is a better choice IMO for the night vision scope. I mounted my PARD on my Benjamin Akela for nighttime pesting. I recommend 20MOA fixed or adjustable mounts for the PARD.

P-Rod.jpg

Akela PARD.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathNTaxes
Well DeathNTaxes, your getting into the big boys toys, just remember these PCP's that have been mentioned are not a bb gun or a Gamo lol and they pack a lot of power. Even with 2 ac's I'd make sure you have a good backstop because the lead could travel far beyond that, thought I'd mention it. Most of my pesting is done with a PP750 22 cal. for rabbits and squirrels of a distance 30 to 32 yards with great accuracy. If you can I'd make a berm of dirt or screw some 2x4 together to a height of 11/2' tall and lure them to that area so you don't have to worry about a pass thru and wonder where the pellet went. Just remember all guns leak at one time or another and some have less O-rings than others lol. So do plan on sending it out too be fixed or do it yourself ? Just food for thought. A Veteran is also a very good gun with high praises. I wish you the best of luck and show us what you bought Good Luck ! BTW here is my PP750
1028220917.jpg

Reactions: DeathNTaxes
Thanks all. I recognize I’m approaching the point of obsession (or if you ask my wife, far down the other side!) in researching all the different options out there, but I think what I’m looking for is something I can dial way back to the 12-15fpe level for rats or ground squirrels, but boost up to 25-50fpe for bigger pests. The missus and I are both fed up with rats stealing our eggs and tunneling under the chicken yard, and with coons and possums killing hens who find their way out of that yard. Planning to make whatever purchase I do in early February, and then yes, will definitely post an update.

Thanks all. I recognize I’m approaching the point of obsession (or if you ask my wife, far down the other side!) in researching all the different options out there, but I think what I’m looking for is something I can dial way back to the 12-15fpe level for rats or ground squirrels, but boost up to 25-50fpe for bigger pests. The missus and I are both fed up with rats stealing our eggs and tunneling under the chicken yard, and with coons and possums killing hens who find their way out of that yard. Planning to make whatever purchase I do in early February, and then yes, will definitely post an update.
Having a PCP do two different jobs is fraught with difficulty. Ultimately, you’ll end up with two guns or more likely, ten. It’s just not so easy to switch on the fly and you’ll get frustrated when a coon turns up and your gun is tuned and sighted for rats. Why not buy a Notos and a cheap scope to poke at the rats and spend the rest on a decent more powerful rig? If and when you see fit to upgrade the rat gun, you won’t lose much selling it used or even giving it away.

Reactions: L.Leon and Jairow
Having a PCP do two different jobs is fraught with difficulty. Ultimately, you’ll end up with two guns or more likely, ten. It’s just not so easy to switch on the fly and you’ll get frustrated when a coon turns up and your gun is tuned and sighted for rats. Why not buy a Notos and a cheap scope to poke at the rats and spend the rest on a decent more powerful rig? If and when you see fit to upgrade the rat gun, you won’t lose much selling it used or even giving it away.
I’ll pile on to Weevil’s comment as I have been there and done that without success. I tried to do what you’re suggesting with a Taipan Veteran with the speed dialer. I would get horrible groups whenever I tried to dial down. I ended up tuning it to around 30 fpe and keeping it there. Gives me a smile every time I shoot it now. I decided to buy a Brocock Ranger for low power <15 fpe pesting and been very happy with it. Someone on here made an analogy to golf that I agree with. Get yourself a good driver (Taipan for me) and a good chipping wedge (Ranger). I like my Ranger so much that if I were to recommend one based on what your considering, I’d go with the Ghost.

Forget on-the-fly tunability, you'll spend all your time fussing with the rifle instead of shooting. Get a good, 30 fpe .22, and one that specifically lacks the "adjustamatic" features that are selling so well to the US market that demands such bells and whistles. The Daystate Revere is an excellent recommendation.

I’ll pile on to Weevil’s comment as I have been there and done that without success. I tried to do what you’re suggesting with a Taipan Veteran with the speed dialer. I would get horrible groups whenever I tried to dial down. I ended up tuning it to around 30 fpe and keeping it there. Gives me a smile every time I shoot it now. I decided to buy a Brocock Ranger for low power <15 fpe pesting and been very happy with it. Someone on here made an analogy to golf that I agree with. Get yourself a good driver (Taipan for me) and a good chipping wedge (Ranger). I like my Ranger so much that if I were to recommend one based on what your considering, I’d go with the Ghost.
I concur, different tools for different tasks… My sweet Atomics handle my sub 50 yard pesting, over 50 yards my Pathfinder is deployed… And I concur, get the Ghost… BRKs are rock solid PCPs that perform. Witness how little BRKs are in stock at AOA, they only have some Pathfinders and Ghost in stock. All the rest sold! That is an indicator of the quality, My first the Compatto led to the Bantam Sniper and then to my present three. Each of the models as solid and dependable afield as the others.

I have been doing this for some time and have tested owned and tried alot of pcps. I also crave the ability to have a gun that does it all high and low power all in one. The issue with that is their is always a balance and always a reg and hammer spring balance where it's in harmony. This usually can't be done becuase high and low power have different needs. With that said their have been advancements and with the hammerless systems it makes it a little more possible.

The L2 is pit because the ability to change speed is limited to just the regulator and that can't really be done on the fly. Rattler and sidewinder are options but I have no first hand experience so can't give my vote 100%. The sidewinder has the detached magazine but the full auto option is a turn off for me which leaves the rattler coming on with more power but the magazine is fixed which takes some getting use to but can be done.

In comes the huben k1 and this I do have experience with and have one in .22 and one in .25. Again it has a fixed magazine but not a deal breaker the .22 has a 19 round mag and the .25 has 17. I have been able to get my .22 down to 450fps and with just clicks on the wheel right up to 1250fps. Will it be hole on hole on every setting nope it too has a sweet spot but can you get hunting groups out if it throughout the levels 100% it all comes to pellet or slug choice and one might be able to do it.

I am also not against have a pcp for a specific purpose and I do I have 5 currently and each has a task.

-BRK Atomic .177 set at 10fpe for back yard 30y and under pesting while being incognito.

-Huben k1 .22 set at 19fpe for when the 10 fpe is not enough has the option to dial up if needed for distance.

-Huben k1 .25 set at 50fpe that's when I want the option for double tap or fast follow up shops that packs a decent punch and is usually 25-75y

-Veteran .25 also around 50fpe and my only double caliber right now but it's a tank it's reliable shoots true easy to fix the quietest full power pcp I have and it's the one I trust to lend friends or family when they need something.

-BRK Ghost .30 at 80-90fpe this is what I use for 100y main setup is for coyotes but confident to take any other game smaller size becuase it shots moa or sub moa at 100y if I do my part.

With all that said I am not loyal to any specific brand and have no issues recommending the new SL gauntlet, Avenger, kral puncher, notos etc.
20231201_235502.jpg
20231201_234734.jpg
20231201_234245.jpg
20231201_233811.jpg

20231201_234734.jpg

You can achieve all this without spending over 2K in an expensive airgun like the BRK Ghost. With the new Avenge-X .25 cal you can do all that with only a $500.00 dollars investment that’s why I have four. This aIrgun an are extremely accurate, regulated, completely externally adjustable, very easy to tune, excellent for pest control, for target shooting and they are backyard friendly as well. If you want to shot at a very low fpe you just need to change the tranfer port from hi to low. That’s why I consider this airguns “the total package”. Check the videos I took yesterday shooting my Avenge-X .25 cal doing some pest control and practicing target shooting around a bunch of chickens, and they didn’t even noticed that all the shots were passing just one or two feets over their heads. I said a few words in spanish because I am bilingual. This video explains in detail all the features this new airguns have.

IMG_8457.jpeg

IMG_8479.jpeg

IMG_8410.jpeg

3f0fec17-16df-456f-95fe-d18419c4c0e5.jpeg

IMG_8464.png

IMG_8395.png

IMG_8480.jpeg

IMG_6391.png

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon