Newb needs info on scope

I purchased an air rifle Gamo Swarm Magnum and it comes with a scope. I want to upgrade the scope. Went to a national outdoor store, Cabela's and was told I have to have an air rifle scope because my air rifle would tear up an expensive scope. He then showed me a Cabela's air rifle scope 4x32. less than $100. I want a Leupold 3x9x40. Is this scope incompatible?

All Leupold scopes are supposed to be airgun rated. They only market 2 specifically designed with 10 yard parallax adjustment, they 3-9EFR and the VX-3 6.5-20EFR. They should all hold up, but you will have parallax and focus issues at close range with most of them. I have the 6.5-20 and it is great. I have used a FX-3 12x with a close focus adaptor and it works ok, but is pretty expensive given the limitations. I have a Rifleman 4-12x that I have backed the Parallax back to about 40 yards and it works ok, but I don't use it much. PM me if you're interested in the Rifleman scope.

When scope shopping for a Gamo Swarm keep in mind that 13" is too long. You are kinda limited to scopes with a length of 12" to 12.5 unless the eye relief allows the scope to be right in your face.

I upgraded to a Bushnell AR 3-9X40 AO it's only downside is that it is a bit heavy and makes the gun feel a tad "unbalanced". I am trying to get over it but that issue may get the best of me. 

Another one that fits (possibly better) is the Mantis 3-9X32AO which has good reviews, but the low price makes me question the quality.

According to all the reviews out there, none of the UTG Leapers, or Hawke's (that will fit the Swarm) will last very long. The thought of having to send it back and wait for another one is keeping me from even giving them a chance.

fishinwrench and c_m_shooter,
I very much appreciate this information. It is what I was looking for from an airgun dedicated forum. I am not 'stuck' on Leupold so much as I want a quality scope that will last. I was put off by the lack of knowledge and customer service from the national retailer. This gives me a few more avenues to explore. I am not settled, nor do I have to be just yet, as I have weeks before the rifle arrives. So any additional info would be apprciated.

Steve

I am thinking if you get a scope for a high powered rifle you should be ok. My Remington 308 has way more recoil than my beeman 22 springer. 

But I could be wrong. If I am, I hope someone will correct me. 

Its the direction of the recoil. On a firearm the recoil goes straight back. With a spring powered or gas ram the recoil goes forward. Some scopes wont hold up to repeated forward recoil motion and causes the scope to break.