Newb need advise on scope ring height

So I need to purchase some scope rings for my new toys, FX Maverick Sniper combined with an Element Helix scope. Every other scope I’ve ever received always came with one and I accepted the ring mount height. So now that I need to get one is there a lot of difference in the manufacturer and quality? Especially from the same manufacturer, because there sure are differences in price. Am I wrong in thinking that the taller height would give my neck a break looking thru so I don’t have to cock my head too much over rifle?

I just use them packaged scope rings i got on guns i bought..

2 things for me is insure your scooe dont it the gun ( most times scope belly or front lens bell) common practice is mount as low as possble . Only thing too tall hurts me is making the gun feel top heavy . Of course your stock comb and cheek welds comes in play somewhat on certain guns

2ed is eye relief. Some guns i cant get the scope far enugh back and im kinda hunching forward . So maybe a setback/ offset mount would be best on this particular gun.

Scopes and rings should have measurements / diagram at manufacturers web site like this
scope .png

That info + the rings / mount info should help choosing the correct hight.

Thing is it's all going to be a individual comfort zone thing .

2 things for me is insure your scooe dont it the gun ( most times scope belly or front lens bell) common practice is mount as low as possble . Only thing too tall hurts me is making the gun feel top heavy . Of course your stock comb and cheek welds comes in play somewhat on certain guns

2ed is eye relief. Some guns i cant get the scope far enugh back and im kinda hunching forward . So maybe a setback/ offset mount would be best on this particular gun.

Scopes and rings should have measurements / diagram at manufacturers web site like this
View attachment 374212

Definitely will do some math calculations to try to keep it low before ordering. Thanks for the tip

View attachment 374212

IMHO, common practice isn't "as low as possible" but what's most comfortable & natural for the shooter, providing ring height allows for unhindered magazine mounting/unmounting & scope bell not touching barrel. @Griffdog124, I've never had ANY troubles with the more inexpensive rings I use. I prefer High rings for my positional comfort but I did have to buy/return different types in the beginning til I found what worked for me. I suggest buying cheap rings to find the right height for you. You can always return them & get pricier ones but you also might be surprised how well cheaper ones work.

Last edited:
ideal ring height depends on cheek rest vs rail height and the size and shape of your head.

andre the giant would probably need super high rings on any rifle.
but there is also your preference and the type of shooting.
i like a high mount for an upright posture with both eyes open (for an lpvo).
for a target rifle i use a more common 1.5" height and conventional cheek weld.

Reactions: Griffdog124
ideal ring height depends on cheek rest vs rail height and the size and shape of your head.

andre the giant would probably need super high rings on any rifle.
but there is also your preference and the type of shooting.
i like a high mount for an upright posture with both eyes open (for an lpvo).
for a target rifle i use a more common 1.5" height and conventional cheek weld.
Thanks, article had a wealth of info

going as low as possible ive found isnt ideal .. for me, airguns generally at a 2-2.25" center to center (bore center to scope center) scope height is about right .. higher they are the further out the point blank sight in will move, also the higher they are the more 'tilt' its gonna take on the reticle to bring it down into the bore line, this is an issue with most airguns because ideal sightin is generally very close, 20y or so .. a shim or adjustable ring in the rear will really help keep the adjustment closer to optical center ..

Reactions: Griffdog124
You may, or may not find this useful. American Rifle Company has a method for ring height selection, using pennies. Please ignore their pricing, and overkill design for airguns. Scroll all the way to the bottom of this page:
https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/m-brace-scope-rings-1414#attr=207,304

You'll have to compare their penny height chart result to their ring heights (scroll up a bit on that page), and then find something close to the height you need with whatever brand you end up going with. Not all manufacturer's Medium height ring are equal in height.

You may, or may not find this useful. American Rifle Company has a method for ring height selection, using pennies. Please ignore their pricing, and overkill design for airguns. Scroll all the way to the bottom of this page:
https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/m-brace-scope-rings-1414#attr=207,304

You'll have to compare their penny height chart result to their ring heights (scroll up a bit on that page), and then find something close to the height you need with whatever brand you end up going with. Not all manufacturer's Medium height ring are equal in height.

So I need to purchase some scope rings for my new toys, FX Maverick Sniper combined with an Element Helix scope. Every other scope I’ve ever received always came with one and I accepted the ring mount height. So now that I need to get one is there a lot of difference in the manufacturer and quality? Especially from the same manufacturer, because there sure are differences in price. Am I wrong in thinking that the taller height would give my neck a break looking thru so I don’t have to cock my head too much over rifle?
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/thre...ounts-super-sticky-questions-try-here.496141/
This may help.
Ring height must be a tad, 2 mm, more than 1/2 of the objective lens diameter for clearance. Example Hawke 44 mm scope on HW95L using medium rings. Scope objective lens = 51 mm or 2" while medium ring height leaves less than 1/8" clearance.

4naxtL8l.jpg

I believe that your Element Helix scope with a 50 mm objective lens = 57 mm or 2.24" which will require High rings.

Last edited: