New YouTube channel STEALING everyone's videos!!

"WCT_Editor"I noticed that there is a listing of the channels that most of the videos are taken from where someone can subscribe on the channel page making me wonder if permission was sought and granted, but I also noticed that the videos I clicked on have monetization enabled on them which only benefits that individual party and not the video maker. This leaves me wondering if it is an business model where the channel has received permission from the authors and is promoting their channel through selected videos in exchange for advertising compensation compared to copyright infringement.
This could be so but for a 3 month old channel to get permission from all these people doesn't seem realistic but time will tell.

"X27"
Good point OK so I took your advise if I am going to defend my position I should do it right.. 
After reading the link you posted If his “collected” videos are publishec with a Creative Commons lisecense and he republishes using a CCL he is OK
(although i think their has to be a transformitive change made to the videos but im not 100% on this)
but this is not the case the original videos are published with a standard YouTube license meaning it is orignal content and the orignal creator retains all rights BUT more importantly when the videos were republished by this channel they were all published with this standard YouTube lisecense by doing this the channel is claming the videos as there original owned property.What’s eligible for a Creative Commons license?Please understand that you may only mark your uploaded video with a Creative Commons license if it consists entirely of content licensable by you under the CC BY license. Some examples of such licensable content are:
  • Your originally created content
  • Other videos marked with a CC BY license
  • Videos in the public domain
 So he is violating the termsTo answer your question when a video is shared here or anywhere else it is linked back to YouTube and the respective account associated with it, the CPM (cost per thousand) (m = 1000 in computer terms)….. The CPM (YouTube lingo of how much $ you make on your videos) does change a bit for externally shared video but the view count and $ it makes still goes to the channel its linked to.. So if you watch teds videos on AGN ted gets money if you watched the ted video I posted at the top of this page that was stolen the thief gets money and ted does not get a man thing…

Okay, of this would have been your starting point, I wouldn't have said a word. But what you did was 'shoot first, ask (smart) questions later', and that's something I'm somewhat allergic to. ;) 

Again, I'm playing the devil's advocate here, because personally I think this channel has quite the unpleasant odour to it, but I do like facts and hate assumptions. But with your effort to go more in depth into the matter, and with @WTC_editor's remarks, this discussion is becoming seriously interesting. I hope I didn't offend you in any way @X27, but as I said, I'm somewhat allergic to assumptions and public lynching without facts. ;) 

Time to bring out the tar and feathers. :p ;)

The main issue is that people "borrowing", "stealing", or whatever it is, are out to make money. Many don't realize the amount of money people make on YouTube. One of our very own AGN members makes a full time living off his videos. It is his sole source of income. So, I assume Ted and other popular tubers are making a good income off there videos as well. So, yes, they should be pissed if people are trying to steal views to gain money which is actually taking away there income.

Jonnes, I agree with your stance about facts first, but as a former YouTuber, all these people are doing is stealing someone else's content for profit.

Reactions: Jonnes
If that's the case, I couldn't agree more with you AJ. But what I said before about content sharing, does remain an interesting thought from a legal standpoint. When does it become "sharing", and when "stealing". As soon as you're intention is to profit from the work you've "borrowed", it becomes theft and you can bring out the tar and feathers. But that's still something that has to be proven (preferably in a court of law), and not by laymen assumptions in my humble opinion. I hope you agree with me on that. I'm not sure if there are any other legally schooled people here, but I'm quite sure they will say the exact same thing.

Jonnes if I thought more like you I would keep my self out of trouble I'm quick to speak...
No you didn't offend you and I hope my comments did not offend you to much as I was trying to be a passive aggressive jerk a few times... Sorry 
But I have messaged

AirArms Hunting SA
Airgunner SA
Squirrel Hunter
And 
Andy's Range 

I'm mad because I have a small YouTube Channel
Urban Airgunner
And last night after I found thischannel, I found a channel that left a message on one of my videos calling me a pigeon killing monster and saying not so nice things about my mom, when I looked at this channel I realized it was a Channel that reposted videos like this, sniper training and animal attack videos all the way to prank videos were "taken" and uploaded as their own and I realized that they were looking for sniper or head shot videos to take and they looked at my video to Acquire but I guess they didn't like a pellet smacking a pigeon in the head. So they left a hypocritical message and left.

I'm not that easily offended @X27, so don't worry. Sometimes people find me an a-hole because I tend to force them to think a bit harder about their assumptions. Call it an occupational habit (or disorder if you like). I understand your frustration with that, but the best way to approach situations like that, is to first start at the source, Youtube in this case, and try to have that channel (or at least your material) taken down. If that doesn't work, get legal advice. My advice is learn from that specific experience, and always have some sort of branding visible in your material, preferably with a copyright sign present, so there's no mistake you're the owner and you want people to respect your intellectual property. I'm amazed people like Ted don't have a disclaimer on their channel. Personally, it's the first thing you should do if I where to have copyright sensitive material on the internet.

Good you informed those who are the potential victims. I'm curious about what their reply will be. Keep us updated, will you?

"WCT_Editor"Since I don't see any of my videos on the channel, I'm not about to make a claim about theft or not. I noticed that there is a listing of the channels that most of the videos are taken from where someone can subscribe on the channel page making me wonder if permission was sought and granted, but I also noticed that the videos I clicked on have monetization enabled on them which only benefits that individual party and not the video maker. This leaves me wondering if it is an business model where the channel has received permission from the authors and is promoting their channel through selected videos in exchange for advertising compensation compared to copyright infringement.

This is something that video makers, Ted, Matt and Jim to name a few need to look into on their own if they aren't aware about the monetization and possible modification of their property (adding of the channel logo) without their permission. I think it's good that this information was brought forward as I would appreciate knowing my property was being misused; however, I also think that once the potential issue has been acknowledge, we as a community need to step back as we don't know what details, if any, were agreed upon and may end up making false claims.

As I mentioned above, one of my videos has been taken/copied whatever..

I did NOT give him any authority to do so and I'd bet my arse nobody else did either!

This topic has made me take a second look at my upload licensing to make sure I'm protected.
And holy crap I was not so I am changing that all right now.
Nobody legaly aquire my videos for the next 5 minutes please.

The latest eppisode of Field Sports Britains Air Heads used a clip of one of my videos, but it was to promote my video and channel with my permision.

@MrAirgun, make sure you file a complaint with YouTube as you may even receive any compensation from monetization with it since it is being used without your permission.

I agree with you that most likely none of the other individuals were asked and the only reason why the subscribe "offer" is being shown is to have a way of saying, "But I put links up for you so don't be mad at me." Having said that, I still feel that unless someone finds their content on the channel like @MrAirgun did and knows it is being used without their permission, it isn't an issue notifying the original author so they can look into it.

"Jonnes"I'm not that easily offended @X27, so don't worry. Sometimes people find me an a-hole because I tend to force them to think a bit harder about their assumptions. Call it an occupational habit (or disorder if you like). I understand your frustration with that, but the best way to approach situations like that, is to first start at the source, Youtube in this case, and try to have that channel (or at least your material) taken down. If that doesn't work, get legal advice. My advice is learn from that specific experience, and always have some sort of branding visible in your material, preferably with a copyright sign present, so there's no mistake you're the owner and you want people to respect your intellectual property. I'm amazed people like Ted don't have a disclaimer on their channel. Personally, it's the first thing you should do if I where to have copyright sensitive material on the internet.

Good you informed those who are the potential victims. I'm curious about what their reply will be. Keep us updated, will you?
Jonnes...please do not take this as a personal attack, but reading through your reasonings reminds me of a dear friend of mine with whom I discuss politics often. Just like you said by being the "devil's advocate" he also argues on behalf of that 0.001% chance. In his views one cannot ever conclude ahead of time if the sun will come up next morning by dawn. I have to concede that even though I have empirical evidence that the sun did come up every day for the last 3 billion years, there is no guarantee that tomorrow it will happen. Yes, I agree that the Earth's demise could happen in some catastrophic unforeseeable event anytime.

A collection of some 300 videos from various airgun gurus, is not an accident and was probably an attempt to funnel web traffic through their channel for free and easy advertising revenue. Websites revenues for some of these guys could be surely hundreds if not thousands of dollars a month. These gurus spent a lot of their time and capital to build up a large following through several years and by sticking their neck on the line to be ridiculed, doubted, questioned, second guessed, etc. They built that...not this person who in a matter of hours transferred their intellectual property rights very likely without their knowledge. Does it make sense that ALL of these gurus agreed to have their videos added to some unknown central depository managed by some unknown stranger thus redirecting a large portion of the search traffic? Again...I may be wrong and the sun may never come up tomorrow...

Reactions: Jonnes
So justice has been done. Good! 

Petty though people gave me an anonymous negative rating for being somewhat critical in this discussion. To the both of you, you really really hurt my feelings. Now I'm not able to sleep for days and days to come. I hope you're happy now! Especially the guy who said I'm "causing a rukus". Because I haven't got the foggiest what that even means, so this alone will keep me up for another couple of nights, sobbing, worrying and wondering where it all went wrong in my life.

Neh, I'm being cynical here. Honestly, I don't give a flying duck about your option dudes. In a few minutes from now, I'm gonna grab a beer and a rifle, walk into my backyard and have some more fun putting lead on target as the sun's going down.

Reactions: fe7565 and X27
Lol...Thanks to all for giving me such an entertaining psychological profile into the members of our group...
I enjoyed the banter back and forth concerning the possible fraudulent activity of the many, many great videos that for me increased my love and activity in this sport of any and all air guns. About half way through this post I was telling myself to just grab a rifle, a tin of pellets and relieve some stress in the back yard. That gave me the strength to continue reading this post later that day. It is sad to see the intellectual property being used for another's personal gain without the leg work. It is a sign of the times. As a matter of fact I have found during the development of this forum that I have backed away from putting out the suggestion on how to help solve some of the questions from fellow AGN members and waited for others to step up with the answers. I still read everyone's input and occasionally post with small added comments but the days are too short and I have too many tins of pellets to share with the neighbor kids, the youth that will take this sport and all shooting activity to the next level in their lives after I am long gone. So there is the rant. I hope that You Tube can clean up this mess but I do not want to lose the clever and devoted individuals that make the videos. We need those sparks to continue burning and perhaps some politician some where will see a video and purchase and air rifle and become a defender of our rights on a national level.

Embedding is quite different from downloading, and re-uploading and not giving the original author credit. Also, be careful defending thieves. Some people do make money on YouTube, and the videos are covered by international copyrights by default.

Since some of the videos were copied, uploaded to a new channel, those people are in violation of copyrights. Linking on the other hand, simply adds a link to the original which is being used as the copyright owner desires.

The activities on this video channel are clearly theft. Even if the only rule used is YouTubes own Use Rules that everyone agrees to when they log in and create a channel, the laws and rules clearly define this as theft.

I really don't get it when people defend thieves, it seems so dishonorable.

Since I'm the only one "defending thieves" here, I assume you're referring to me. First of all, I'm not defending anyone, I'm having an interesting discussion about what sharing is, and what not, and when can something be called theft. A (as it has turned out to become) very interesting discussion with multiple points of view on the subject. It even ended up being beneficial to some Youtube channel owners who where not aware of some copyright restrictions on Youtube.

Maybe you have misread or misinterpreted my replies @Saltlake58, but I ended up agreeing with @X27 and others about this being at least smelly, and theft in the end. ;)

Now I'm going to do an assumption here myself, but since your choice of words is exactly the same as that remark at my last negative anonymous rating, this assumption might even be true. You're the one rating me down with the remark "Somewhat moronic trolling, defending thieves. Sigh, I really don't understand defending thieves". Well, at least I tried to have a normal decent discussion on an adult level, without being childish and start calling people names, like "a moronic troll". To you sir, thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion.