New Young Member

Hello everyone! Just making my first post after finally joining AGN. Have been a follower of the forum for years but recently got into PCP and it seemed like a must. It says I need a 5 post minimum for a lot of benefits of this forum so I figured I would start here. I am in my mid 20s and most people my age are not into Airguns at all and almost laugh at the idea of them over firearms. I live in more suburban Pennsylvania, so they were the perfect solution to backyard plinking on a 3 acre plot of land. As a kid I had multiple cheap break barrels from Gamos to Rugers. Recently I purchased an umarex origin and have had nothing but problems from the pump exploding to the internals of the rifle failing. Sending it back and I have bought a compressor since to not limit my next PCP decision. Looking to get something more reliable next, hopefully not Chinese made, but I am always on a budget. Am looking forward to being a member of this forum and taking any wisdom or knowledge that this community has to offer!

Tyler

Welcome Tyler. I wouldn’t have had to guess that you are a young man with a handle like @PhunkyMeatstick 😷 (ladies beware) 😅.

If you’ve been lurking around the forums I’m sure you know there’s a plethora of information awaiting you in the Airgun Nation forums. Search and click away as you fall down this rabbit hole of airgunnery. Plenty of friendly folks around the forums that are willing to try to assist you along the way. If in doubt about a place to shop for airguns, accessories, or supplies try some of the AGN sponsors that you see in the rolling banner across the top of your screen (click the red and white plus signs in the banners to see more AGN sponsors) or ask members about a company that you’re unsure of. Be mindful that there are some scam sites out there feigning to be legitimate businesses trying to lure consumers in with too-good-to-be-true prices and access to items that are out of stock in most other places. 

Shop around, a benjamin marauder is just under $400 new, outstanding warranty (if needed), excellent factory support and no end of aftermarket stuff available also. Outstanding trigger & highly reliable. Even comes in Black if that pleases you.

Mostly target? Other?

Also might recommend buying used from someone who has been into airguns over 10 years w/out an unkind word from anyone they've sold to. Some outstanding values do pop up.

John

@ezana4ce I have had that nickname for years from an old band I use to listen to a lot, had no intention on it being dirty haha. But, I had purchased from Pyramyd Air (as I have for the last 10 or so years) and have nothing but praise for that company and how they deal with things. Before I buy anything off an unknown site I type the name in google and put “forum” after it to see other people’s experiences. Too many scams out here now a days.

@maxtrouble Umarex customer service has also been absolutely exceptional. Respond within 30 minutes of an email. Sent out a new pump hose before I figured out the air chamber in my rifle is defective. My next origin should be here sometime next week after I ship this defective one back to PA since it is still within their time window for returns. I will also look into the HW95 as another to add to the collection, thanks!

@spysir I have looked into the mrod and synrod, I think that will be my next move if this origin fails. I am mostly a target shooter, but also take care of the neighborhood squirrel problem (too many chewed wires/fuel lines/brake lines on cars and recreational toys), and groundhogs when they get too close to the house (I have a massive horse farm across from me and next to me. 
And yes the thing that made me finally cave in and become a member of this forum was to be able to buy secondhand guns from a reliable place, some of the other air gun classified on other forums have scammers out the wazoo. I will be hunting for any deals that come up and eventually will make a WTB thread with general parameters that I’m looking for and hopefully someone can help me out. 

Welcome Tyler. Keep inviting others to shoot airgun. We do have some good airgun hunting opportunities in PA now. I live in the West Shore area. Our family has a farm in Perry Co. And we can hunt nearly silently. Challenge the guys to some accuracy testing against powder burners. My peers didn't understand why I spent THAT MUCH on an airgun 37 years ago either. I was 25 then. At 62 I'm still not old. Not even.

You can build some very good guns on a budget. Even Chinese.

My oldest gun is 1906 and I just bought a new HW50. I like them all.

Did he say wisdom? IDK. We play with airguns..........

@KWK I live towards King of Prussia in south eastern PA. Always looking for people to shoot with. I know there has to be people nearby. While I was searching for stuff on another forum (Gateway) I seen someone’s handle at the bottom was in Lower Salford which is 5 minutes from my house, so I know people are out there. Are there any sort of air gun specific events in Pennsylvania that take place?
Also, glad to hear I’m not the only one that gets called crazy by my bonehead friends for wanting to shoot silently. In my opinion eyes nothing beats time behind the barrel, if I only stuck with powder burners I might only get out once or twice a month. With air guns I can get out once or twice in a day without getting a call from neighbors. 

IMG_20211107_144305.1646951153.jpg
Hello, and welcome to the forum. The pic is my Benjamin Armada .22 cal. It it mechanically identical to the Marauder, with different body work. I am a year in the airguns, and the AR style really attracted me. Combined with the reliability of the Marauder platform and the availability of upgrade parts, for me it's a great combination. From the start, it has been reliable, accurate and durable. 

@KWK I live towards King of Prussia in south eastern PA. Always looking for people to shoot with. I know there has to be people nearby. While I was searching for stuff on another forum (Gateway) I seen someone’s handle at the bottom was in Lower Salford which is 5 minutes from my house, so I know people are out there. Are there any sort of air gun specific events in Pennsylvania that take place?
Also, glad to hear I’m not the only one that gets called crazy by my bonehead friends for wanting to shoot silently. In my opinion eyes nothing beats time behind the barrel, if I only stuck with powder burners I might only get out once or twice a month. With air guns I can get out once or twice in a day without getting a call from neighbors.

Welcome to Airgun Nation. You aren’t to far from me the then. I am just outside of Pottstown. Once it starts getting nice out we should try to plan something.

Welcome aboard! There’s definitely nothing as cool as being able to quietly and accurately shoot rifles and pistols in the back yard! My first pcp was a .25 Marauder and it was amazing, quiet and accurate and a decent trigger out of the box. My friend got a Gauntlet and it was accurate, but the trigger was pretty heavy and mushy. I’ve had great experiences buying used guns from members here, watch out for scammers answering your WTB post and acting like they are members! I’m sure you don’t need to be warned about it, but once in awhile one of us older folks get burned by not knowing what to look out for lol! Be sure to post about what you end up with and pictures of groups too. Have a great time falling into this rabbit hole!