New Yong Heng Compressor Air Leaks

Put everything back together. 

Started deadhead and instantly blew burst disk. Great news. Have to have pressure to blow those things.

Replaced burst disk. Started no deadhead.... and ... no pressure.

I ran the compressor and sprayed a fittings. The fitting in the picture I posted earlier with the two seal leaks badly. When I put it back together I tried it with 1 seal but the threads are to long so I guess it needs 2. Bleed screws leak. I didn't check to see if they had POM seals.... whatever they are.

Sometime today I'll pull that pipe out and see what's up. After that I'm done. 

Looking at a higher grade compressor but I'm not sure it's that big a step only in $$$. One thing rolling for the Yh is parts and your support. 

Thanks

Next tool is a BFH. 

Airslave,

The end of each pressure relief screw has a rounded pointed tip that pushes against a hole in a white plastic "donut" washer, located at base of threaded hole. Since the person building your compressor didn't use a "donut" washer between gauge and compressor, maybe they left more out. I'd remove pressure relief screws, then brass fittings they screw into, for a visual inspection. The white plastic "donut" washers, included with the YH, I think should be replacements for these, since they're most likely affected by wear. Don't give up on the YH brand, I suspect a lazy assembler and poor QC, are to blame. WM

Thanks for your input and words of encouragement. 

Yep... I was thinking the same thing. I'll replace the two washers on the discharge valve and check for pressure relief washers.

EDIT.... White washers are there. 

Everything back and no pressure but no leaks(probably cause no pressure)

I removed the output pipe from the 2nd stage and very little air. Should be a lot I would think.

I removed the output pipe from the 1st stage. A lot more are air than the 2nd stage.

I removed the intake air filter and it was clear.

That's about it without breaking the warranty. 

EDIT#2 - Send seller a note that it is not working and permission to investigate and report any problems I find.

Forgot to mention this - new OIL is dark color and looks contaminate with particles not sure what they are. If it was a gas engine I'd say it was blow-bye from the rings. Also no pressure could come from the reed valve.

I'm at a crossing here. What to do next. Should I order another YH and hope it works while I sort out the warranty on the other one. If the new one works and the warranty fixes or replaces the old one I would have a backup compressor or give it to my shooting friend. That would make 3 compressors total to pump up 2 air rifles. 

Or abandon this plan and buy a upper level compressor. Knowing that a upper level compressor could also fail but hopefully not for a long time. Finding one that could be rebuilt would be a big factor in choosing one.

Any thoughts. 

I’m waiting for parts to repair mine, which failed due to my error. I believe one of the reed valves may have failed, the two I’ve accessed look good, but there is a third in the hp cylinder head I need to look at. In the meantime I am shopping for a high end compressor @ 10x the cost. Life is short, this is my current hobby so I’m trying to convince myself that this is the better path, for me. The Yong hengs work well for what they are, and I have no regrets about mine. To get a significantly better compressor, the cost is significant, at least for me. Also, my oil, with 30 minutes of run time is pretty dark, and it is proper hp compressor oil. 

Airslave,

In your shoes, I'd contact best-homepro and see what he can do. I've heard there's a one year manufacturing defect warranty, so let him know. He has a high positive rating on eBay, must be a reason for that, plus, he'll want to avoid a negative review. Give him a fair chance, at least. 

Worst case scenario, get another Yong Heng, some members got two, up front. A back-up or for parts, $265 is not $1500, or more, like a higher end one would cost. 

I'm a tinkerer, I'd enjoy the challenge of repairing mine, the parts are cheap. Many great how-to videos on YouTube. Best case scenario, best-homepro sends another and lets you keep first one. WM

WorriedMan... you read my mind.

How did you do that? :)

I wrote best-homepro and explained the situation and what I was willing to do. I explained I'l no pro but I'm and accomplished mechanic and would be willing to dig deeper and find the cause and he could pay for parts or do a return and replace. His choice.

I ordered another one this morning and sent best-homepro a message letting him what I have done. It should be here in a week.

I like to know how stuff works and the YH is no different. Not sure how some of the parts work together but I'll find out as I dig deeper. 

If anyone knows.. stuff breaks even if it is new so I'm not crying in my cereal. As you said, like the challenge and it much more satisfying when you work on something and it works. I have worked on stuff for over 55yrs and no way ready to stop.

So it look like I'm YH all the way! My shooting friend wants to get a bottle now for his 25 cal so we have more $$ to spare. 

As I like to say.. dive deep or get off the board.

Thanks for all the support. It is really much appreciated.

Scotty1,

My shooting friend say it has a reed valve above the head could be the problem. I know of only 1 reed valve. Are there more in the YH?

10x the the cost compressor? Commercial grade... Life is short and it would be shorter if I did that.. cause they would lock me up and throw away the key when they find out I can't pay for it... hahahaha.

My shooting friend should buy it and give it to me... right? Guess not. For what we need the YH should be fine. 

Thanks for your input. Would really like to see your new one..... Just to make myself jealous.

Airslave,

Sounds like a plan. I'd start checking out YouTube videos, watched a good one by Air Velocity (I, think) made in January, where he replaced piston system. You're lucky since all the electronics are good, the problem must lie with, the not so expensive or difficult to rebuild, pump motor. Fixing anything unknown, I find a YouTube showing exactly what to do, watch it 2 or 3 times, collect right tools, then begin. My brain knows what to expect so as soon as somethings not right, I know it. I suspect you'll find a missing, or incorrectly installed part, after digging in. Keep us posted, WM