• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New Years Eve Night shoot, Concord Ca

Admit it, you were going to stay in, read Airgun Nation all night and dream about airguns you didn't get for Christmas. Cheer up Binky, you can come out at 5:00 pm Dec. 31st and enjoy a terrific FT Match in Concord, Ca. instead!
It'll be dark by 5:00 and we'll literally leave the light on for you. Each target will be lighted for you to try to put your pellet into the KZ.
Best part? We plan on ending by 8:00 pm, to get you home and off the road before amateur drinking hour starts.
If you've seen our Halloween shoot on YouTube, you know it'll be a hoot- I'll even have some heaters to keep your bums warm.
Diablo Rod and Fun- um, Rod and GUN club, at the United Sportsman Range.
Heavy rain cancels- our battery powered lights on the targets will short circuit- but we do have overhead cover, heaters and the greatest group of shooters you can ever imagine to hang out with!

Too far to drive on this day & evening of crazy drivers between here and bay area .... Otherwise for the local guys what a Blast !!!!
You're right, it's a bit of a stretch to drive out to the Bay for an event like this. Be nice if we could get Yolo or Ione to allow is to shoot at night- I can always bring the illumination!

Reactions: qball
Jim P. talked me into it- so don't blame the messenger!

Saturday's NY EVE FT match is happening, rain or shine.
"We'll double bag the lights and shoot with much delight", to craft some poetry.
5:00 pm start, overhead cover for your guns, so you won't melt!

Can't stay up that late?
No problem, Airgun Silhouette is Sunday, Jan. 1, 8:30 setup, 9:00 am start.

But wait, there is more!
2nd and 4th Friday nights, 10 meter indoor starts in January, going through to May. 6:00pm (-ish) start, lot's of comradery, and great prizes at the end of the season!

Maybe make your NY's resolution to develop a callus on that trigger finger?
Thanks!

Jim P talk me into this match back on Wednesday. Unbeknownst to him, the weather was going to turn just awful. He got rained in in San Carlos yesterday and I was glad he didn't try to push through.
The lakes were deep on the range and the rain seemed unrelenting as we set up. It didn't affect morale and it was educational to watch the wins swirl over the surface of the ponds formed.
Chris K help me set up along with Dave H. Dave is a accomplished .22 benchrest and black powder cartridge silhouette shooter but has never shot a field target match, and barely has used an air gun before.
The new conditions didn't slow anyone down and maybe next time we will go ahead and raise the troyer level a little.
As darkness encroached we we started our match and the rain began to let up. The winds were still difficult to judge, particularly on the longer targets but again everyone seem to push through.
About halfway through the match the winds picked up viciously. Some of the gusts were at least 20 mph.
Comically, the lights protected by plastic baggies began to blow across the field darkening the targets. It also created an uncoordinated light show but could have been used for some shooters as a wind indicator. If gusts of that magnitude could be estimated. Next time, I'm putting big rocks in each baggie.
We had just two pairs of shooters and that made it easier to finish w high-powered flashlights. Those flashlights held by the shooting partner provided enough illumination to complete the match.
Chris K posted the highest score missing only three targets despite the challenges. Everyone did very well and can take pride in their accomplishment.
Chris 43
Martin 41
John. 38
Dave H 37
Screenshot_20230101_134418_Chrome.jpg

+1 on Tina! Fun having her along.

Crazy little shoot in the wet and the wind with a tumble weed here and there adding to the distractions. Off-hand shots were like, oh my.......by the time your brain sent the message "Fire!" and your trigger finger responded you were already blown off the target.

Leave it up to the Mad Oakhonor to come up with something like this. Can't wait till next time.

Reactions: qball and 0akhonor