• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Wildcat .25 first impressions

Just got my FX Wildcat in .25 today, with a Neil Clague moderator, and my baby is pretty! Put a Sidewinder 6-24x56mm on with low mounts on, then I took it off and put it back on with medium mounts, then I took it off again and put it on with high mounts and liked that best. Dang, now I remember reading a post about mount heights, hate making life harder than it needs to be!

Starting shooting and found 2 pellets that didn't fit in the magazine well; EUNJIN 43.2 (way too long) and H & N 31.02, the latter almost worked but they were too loose and stuck out of the magazine if the mag was bumped at all.

Grouping with JSB 25.39 was ok, my best group at 25 yards; 8 rounds produced a 3/8" group. The gun is soooooooooooooo different from everything I am used to, I think the operator has much to learn and I was laughing my butt off every time I blew up one of my targets. I built them for my HW97K in .177 and my Wildcat destroyed em, so sad.

My tank was at 2,500 psi to start, Magazines 1 through 4 or the first 32 rounds had an average velocity of 867 fps generating 42 ft.lbs of energy with JSB 25.39 pellets, then my gun dropped off the regulator, with the fifth magazine averaging 757 fps generating 32 ft.lbs of energy. Are these numbers average, or do I have work to do?

Then I sat my Wild thing, I mean Wildcat next to my Brocock Contour XL S6 in .22 and thought, "damn I am getting tired of hearing jokes about my Brocock's name and I sure do have 2 great PCP's.

​All in all, I found the gun to be surprisingly quiet with Neil's LDC, the .25 smashed targets ALOT harder than I expected, and I definitely messed up and didn't buy enough ammo. Since my Brocock weighs 5 1/4 lbs with optics, I found the Wildcat to be plenty heavy to hold steady and my HW97K feels like it weighs a ton now, feel is a very relative thing. Oh yah , the trigger is awesome!!!!

Hi. They are a lot of fun aren't they!
If you had 2,500psi in your filling filling tank, that's 173 bar. I think 32 shots will put that WAY below the regulator pressure which is 140-150 bar.
I find that the velocity goes UP a touch and gets a bit more variable as the pressure first falls below the reg set pressure. This may seem against common sense until you realise that when the hammer valve opens, the back of the pellet is exposed to the bigger volume of air in the whole cylinder, not just the regulator's little chamber.

What were your velocities for the first 2 mags? 860 is good.

When I drive to the dive shop to take my tank for a fill, I wrap it in a quilt with a couple of freezer blocks to cool it. This helps make sure I get a really good fill.

I am not sure what my first 2 mag's velocity's were, I was giggling like a fool from the moment the FedEx driver knocked on my door, till I destroyed my targets with the awesome power of my .25, then laughed like a mad man. It was such an exciting day.

I woke up at 4 AM and had a cup of coffee staring my Wildcat, for me it was a BIG chunk of money and I had to wait for such a long time. I took the entire day off work to "work" on getting my Wildcat on-line, my wife bought it, (I really do need Wildcat for my business).

​My dive shop has their compressor at a different store, so it takes a week to get a full tank back!!!! I am eye balling the Omega compressor (the bigger one) from AoA.

​I am not a 100% positive on my choice of scopes, a Hawke 6-24x56mm is darn big, but it looks so nice!