New Vogel Pellet

I received some Vogel pellets today to test in my FT rifles: https://vogelusa.com/vogel-domed-sport-177-4-5-cal-9-3grain-605gram-airgun-pellet/

Vogel makes 10M pellets in Colorado Springs. They fly under the radar for most people so I figured I would post something here. They have this new domed pellet out and figured I would buy a couple tins to test. He sent my order and threw in a third for free. These were the best packaged pellets I have ever received. Layer upon layer of shrink wrap and bubble wrap in a padded box. The pellets looks great in tins that are padded on bottom, sides, and top with a screw on lid. Once it cools off here in TX and the wind slows down I will try them out.

I have ordered Vogel pellets one previous time a few years ago. I was going to be in CO Springs at the Winter Airgun Championship with my daughter. I emailed the guy and asked if I could order and pay for from TX (save on tax) and pick up in person (Save on shipping). He did one better and dropped them off at the Olympic Training Center for me to pick up. He also left an extra sleeve of his premium pellets with a note for me to try out. I am not saying you get free pellets when you order from the guy but I have ordered twice and received 11 tins of free pellets.

I met the owner of Vogel last October. My daughter was invited for an official visit to the Air Force Academy to shoot on their rifle team and they flew us up there. Of course part of the official visit was a tour of their rifle range and the campus. This guy and a lady tagged along on the tour. It was obvious the guy knew the USAFA rifle coaches. I talked to him quite a bit walking around on the tour. He was a great guy. I had no idea he owned Vogel until he had left. I mentioned the coach that I enjoyed talking to the guy and the coach mentioned the guy owned Vogel pellets. Small world. I wish I would have figured it out when I was walking around with him as I would have thanked him for the free sleeve of pellets.

Vogel/Podium Pellets does work hard to support US Shooting Sports. I got involved with a whole different world of competitive air rifle when my daughter started shooting in high school for her high school team. Now she is off shooting NCAA rifle in college. If it wasn’t for that I probably wouldn’t know about Vogel. They are made in the USA in CO Springs. They cater to the 10M world so you don’t see them sold main stream. Worth a look. The prices are competitive. It’s a small enough company and they would listen to your input good or bad. If you send them an email it’s not going to some person in an office and maybe never leaving that office. The email will go to the owner.

What 10M gun have you shot these in with great success?
Right before my daughter, she was at the end of her 8th grade year at the time, I picked up a FWB 601 to shoot with a couple other guys that had just got interested in 10M. I still have it, need to sell it, as we all upgraded to PCP rifles. My PCP 10M rifle is a Pardini GPR1 Top. It’s pretty awesome but that 601 will hang with it. That big wood stock on the 601 makes it very comfortable to shoot. I replaced it as we started shooting on-line matches and cocking it for a 40-60 shot ( + sighters) match got tiresome. As awesome as the Pardini is I can shoot the FWB 601 just as well. I also got into 10M pistol and shoot a Walther LP500. My daughter shoots a Walther LG400 Anatomic. If someone was to go buy a high end 10M pcp rifle today I would recommend the Walther LG400 (Walther just announced the LG500 this week so it looks like the LG400 will phase out over the next few years). Most 10M rifle shooters use a Walther LG400 followed closely by FWB. Both are great. Walthers are more balanced and easier to work on. FWB is a little more front end heavy. Behind Walther and FWB a distant third would be Anschutz and Pardini. Pardini is new to the 10M rifle game (their 10M pistols are great) But over the past 4 years I have been involved with 10M I went from seeing 1 or 2 Pardini’s at a big match to quite a few. They are a beautiful rifle. Anschutz are out there. I have always heard they are hard to work on but have no personal experience and can’t say that is true. You hardly ever see a Styer 10M rifle which is strange as they are so dominate in Field Target and obviously a good rifle.

Reactions: sonnysan
I heard good things about Vogel .177 Wadcutter Sport pellets, so decided to try them. So far it's been a great experience all around.

One of the tests I use is to place a small order to see how things come packaged, and the folks at Vogel certainly didn't disappoint. A single tin came encased in at least 3 layers of bubble wrap. The tin is foam lined inside the top, bottom and side. The pellets themselves were uniform in shape and quality, and I have yet to find a misshapen or poorly formed pellet.

So far the Crosman 2300T and Beeman P17 pistols seem to really like the Vogel wadcutters - certainly more than they do RWS Meisterkugelns or Hobbys. In a few days I'll have a chance to try the pellets in a Beeman R7. I suspect they'll do pretty well punching paper at 10M.

As soon as this post started, I happily ordered these domes. I have had enormous respect for Vogel and what they do for the target shooting sports. I have had VERY good results with their match wadcutters.

That said, the 9.3gr Domed Sport Pellets that I received (9/23) were not consistent in the force required to "chamber" them in several different rifles. Notably so. I concluded that my batch had a size variability that is unacceptable. Accuracy across several rifles was not dreadful but not great. I hope this has been delt with and my experience with Vogel suggests that it probably has been. These guys are very quick to address issues. They were wonderfully well packed, clean and well filled out.

I hope this is no longer an issue and was just a "one off".