• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Hello all, I just received a new valve and Ring-Loc valve setup from AF after watching a video posted by UpNorthAirGunner. As he stated, the new valve seems to have some different characteristics allowing me to achieve almost 1200fps (preliminary testing) at muzzle from a Condor (24" LW barrel-his barrel is a longer .257 caliber and I do not remember the maker at the moment) in .25 caliber shooting 33.95 gr. JSB MKII pellets. I think it is now time for a "slug fest" and am wondering if anybody has some suggestions for a good slug in .25 caliber aside from making my own. I have done some research and there are quite a few options and I am not sure what would be best. I am currently not doing any hunting-just target for now. Also, I would like to know if anybody has some more info on the new AF valve. I have not disassembled it yet to look because it works so well.

Been working on a plan myself. Going to get an unchoked barrel from r&l soon and set the Condor up to shoot nsa 52 -55 grn boat tails . Going to try my old hiflow valve first and see what I get before replacing it , shooting for 100 ftlbs . I think I can get pretty close with the old lightly modded valve . I have not had any luck with slugs from the choked barrel in the old Condor or Talon P which has a very tight choke . I cut the 24 inch Condor barrel down to 14 and recrowned it and the slugs shoot way better . I'm just looking to have something to fill the gap between my pellet shooters and my .257 texan . Get a .250 sample pack from neilson to try , just because my barrels didn't shoot them well doesn't mean someone else's won't .

Hi Groundhog, I had not considered the choke on the barrel. Oh I hope I did not make a mistake-I just ordered 200 45gr. hollow point from ratsniperslugs.com. I also looked at Nielsen I and went with the ratsniper only because I visited their website first! Yeah, the sample pack from Nielsen would prolly have been a better idea...Since my barrel has a choke, is it possible that I could mess up something with the slugs I ordered? Thanks.

Oh and your .257 Texan...Yeah!!! Ima jealous!

1529966579_5134526895b316ff3c8bf05.82293683_IMG_0416.jpg

I simply had to post an image even though this may not be the correct forum location however it does go along with my post. When I received the AF valve I did not realize it would come with a gauge and fill nipple. I knew it would be a 1 in a million chance that the clocking would align with my TT tank adapter. I should have bought a lottery ticket the day I bought the valve because it lines up absolutely perfectly! I thought I would try before removing the AF gauge and fill nipple and good thing I did. I know, seems silly to have 2 gauges and 2 fill nipples...Initially, I was just going to install regardless of the clocking just so I could do some testing on the new valve. I can always remove and plug the holes if I like. LOL!

Do try the NSA ammo.

You will not harm your barrel other than perhaps extreme lead build up in the choke. In general you do not want any choke for slug in an airgun.

And please post up results no matter, as we all want to see and your rifle might be the exception with the right slug. Also nice having beofre & after if you change the barrel out or chop it.

John

I'm shooting .25 cal. 37 gr. RatSniper Hollowpoints in my 24" choked AF Condor barrel without issue. It's accurate too. Maybe an un-choked barrel would be more accurate, but, I'm already getting sub-MOA at 50 yards with my choked barrel. Your mileage may vary, but, I'm very happy. I'm shooting them at 1050 FPS (90FPE) and killing deer and coyotes at 50 to 80 yards.