New TX200 on the way soon!

Hi all!

First post here :). I'm lucky enough to have a TX200/Hawke Airmax combo on pre-order from Pyramyd air, and having some bad experiences with a couple Gamo air rifles I wanted to ask about some basics.

I've seen over on AEAC that Steve likes to clean barrels often and well before shooting the air rifles he shoots, but should I do the same? I've seen conflicting reports and posts about cleaning in general. 

As to break in, should I focus on shooting lighter pellets early on in the TX200's life? If so, about how many shots before I should start experimenting with heavier loads?

Any other advice before receiving and shooting the TX200?

Thanks all!

Best,

Chris

I have always wondered if I should clean my barrels. In my firearms I always do after every session. My springers? NEVER have. I have one springer (true spring gun) with probably 7,000 rounds through and never cleaned it. Guess if I ever have accuracy issues I'll start there. Only got one gun brand new (sig asp) and didnt clean that prior (actually 2--just recieved a xisico with full tune) my sig is deep into 8,000 round territory and never cleaned (my only gas ram).

Hi all!

First post here :). I'm lucky enough to have a TX200/Hawke Airmax combo on pre-order from Pyramyd air, and having some bad experiences with a couple Gamo air rifles I wanted to ask about some basics.

I've seen over on AEAC that Steve likes to clean barrels often and well before shooting the air rifles he shoots, but should I do the same? I've seen conflicting reports and posts about cleaning in general. 

As to break in, should I focus on shooting lighter pellets early on in the TX200's life? If so, about how many shots before I should start experimenting with heavier loads?

Any other advice before receiving and shooting the TX200?

Thanks all!

Best,

Chris

Congrats on the new TX200. Those are incredibly well made spring guns that will serve you well for decades. .177 or .22? JSBs have always shot quite well out of my AA or HW spring guns.

As for cleaning the barrel, I too have never cleaned mine either. I have an hw97k and an AA pro sport with at least 30,000 shots each and have never cleaned the barrel. Accuracy is excellent with both. No harm in using Ballistol, but IMHO just shooting it will remove any factory gunk and it isn’t necessary to achieve peak accuracy.

R

I also have a TX200 in .22. When new, I did my usual initial cleaning before shooting a round. That is, a brash brush laden with JB Non-Embedding Bore Paste for one round of twenty down and back trips. Again one round of Hoppe's #9 on a mop. Would hurt to do another round of Hoppes on a fresh mop...Then a round of Ballistol on a mop, two if you're insanely OCD. One or two rounds of dry mopping. Then dry patches until you're happy.

Take that sukkah out an shoot it with the pellets you think it will like. I normally mount the scope when new and shoot to work the combination in.

What I've noticed with my TX...and so have other shooters...is that the point of impact will begin to wander from point of aim. If every fastener is tight, what the rifle is telling you is that the bore needs cleaning. Mine tends to need cleaning every 150-200 rounds. My maintenance clean begins with a round of mopping with Hoppes #9, and let it sit for five or ten minutes. Then I'll hit it for one round with the brass brush, another round of Hoppe's with a mop, Ballistol for one round, dry mop for a round or two, then dry patches.

I use a nylon coated Dewey rod and accessories for my cleaning chores. They are worth the extra money. Keep in mind when it comes to cleaning, nobody is necessarily wrong with their techniques...everybody is gonna have a happy place where their method gets the job done, and they are confident with their equipment and style. You're gonna hear people saying 'oh, NEVER use a rod on an air rifle'! They're not wrong...they are confident that a rod will damage the barrel, and that's okay. Find your own style! 

Good luck with that TX...I love mine! 

Wow, thanks everyone!

Lot's of good information for the newbie (me) here. I didn't know about the Simple Green solution, I'll go pick some up!. I have a bit of RC car/truck silicone shock fluid, is that an acceptable post-cleaning lube? If so, any idea on what the bet weight/viscosity might be? The stuff I've got is either 30w or 40w, likely between 250 and 400 cSt.

I keep reading about some barrels being 'choked', some barrels being 'crowned', etc, but I don't quite follow what those terms mean or stand for. What are chokes and crowns all about?