New TX200 .177...how fast is too fast?

Hey all!

I think I’m getting to the end of my break in, as I’m getting ragged hole groups at 20 and 50 yards now :). I did have to remove the stock and oil the action in the pivot points on the cocking arm. At first I got OK groups with H&N Baracuda Match, the with H&N Baracuda FT. I decided I’d get to around 1000 shots before trying to really dial it in. I’ve noticed with pellets heavier than 10gr I get a very slight spring twang, however keeping the pellet weight down seems to keep the rifle quiet :).

I had some H&N Terminators laying around and wow - I can’t believe the groups I’m getting with these pellets. IDK if it’s because they’re more lightweight that they’re easier to shoot or what, but these things are making ragged holes for me at 20 and 50 yards, even in slight winds. 

On to the question. Every so often, one of these shots will break the sound barrier, usually the first of the group if I’ve put the rifle down for a little while. 

Is this OK? By my numbers with chair gun, at 1125FPS I’m generating just over 20 FPE! The energy retained at 50 yards also seems plenty for small game should I decide to get there, so...will I damage my mew TX200 shooting at these near-sound-barrier speeds?

Thanks everyone!

Best,

Chris

@odoyle I took your advice a step further since I was seeing grease streaks on the breach cover.

I decided to strip it down and what I found was grease had crept in to the compression chamber. I wiped it all clean and reinstalled the piston with just a little graphite power, not touching the grease on the spring and rear of the piston sleeve. No more dieseling now :).

Thanks!

download.png
52DC6E88-089A-4182-BE95-420AEABD0348.1601384181.jpeg

download.png
18726AF3-3E70-45AF-863C-AFE227ED2A7A.1601384183.jpeg

download.png
B5EB452C-68C6-4F31-9EB7-400E479BDDC6.1601384184.jpeg

@Odoyle, here you are :). 20 and 50 yards, the 3” target is 20 and the 8” targets are 50 yards. I took these this morning on fresh paper, shooting the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extremes. @270windude sorry, I don’t have the ability to take video...yet :). Not .2”, but darn nice for a springer I think, and I’m pretty sure the rifle is capable of better than I am at this point!