New Toy today.....

I've spent the last two days trying to make the JSB 25.39g Exact King Diabolo pellets group with the K1.

No good. The target in the pic is at 20 yards, and for accuracy out past 100 yards, there should been one ragged hole. 850fps bar at 125 for this group.

This rifle needs heavier pellets or slugs.

I'm buying some tomorrow.

Will

BTW It's a 10 shot group.

20210914_212658.1631669547.jpg

Everyone has different levels of accuracy they find acceptable. I too tried the 25 grain king's and did not care for them. Here is a 50 yard and 100 yard group (of at least 19 shots) with some of the huben slugs. They could probably be better. these were a while back. Cant remember if I used a rest or not

36-37 grain slugs ( of the ideal diameter) are where I think this gun really shines

20200718_121259.1631670423.jpg

20200718_121334.1631670481.jpg

Ok folks, I have had it with trying to get the K1 to group at 20 yards and not corkscrew the projectiles at 100 yards.

I've tried 2 different types of pellets and two different types of slugs. The slugs are horrible at 20 yards and beyond.

What you see in the pic is a H&N slug and JSB pellets which shoot the "best" out of all.

I've tried different reg and power adjustments, this is as good as it gets.

I thought maybe my scope broke or I forgot how to shoot, so I took the scope off the K1 and put it back on my FX Dreampup .22 and shot, not a 5 shot group, but a 10 shot group from the same rest and distance.

The targets speak for themselves.

I think the K1 may be clipping.

I'm not sure.

Will

20210916_125718.1631812656.jpg

Dang I feel your frustration. I had some issues finding the best ammo for my .22 but all the slugs I tried and the heaviest pellets worked fairly well. Wish I knew what to suggest but I dont yet have my .25 in my hands, and even if I did, I had kelly swap my barrel for an unchoked, more slug friendly one so what works for me may not apply to yours.

Hope you solve the problem, it's such a blast when it works right

Once my k1 was spraying slugs all over the place. I had taken it apart to fix something or other and when I reassembled it I tightened everything down with the barrel slightly skewed to one side which it turns out was causing my problem. Once I took it back apart, recentered everything and tightened back up I was golden. Of course, if yours was never taken apart this shouldnt be the problem but I'm just trying to help. You never know

ChRiSiS

@uhfradarwill

Nice to read that there are some shooters on the forum up in my neck of the woods. I’m in NE Connecticut and go up to NE airguns now and then. I’m actually headed there tomorrow to pick up a replacement sear John has for me. 

Will,

Congrats on the new “toy”. I’ve been ogling them every time I go up there. Seems like they would make a nice hunting rifle but that accuracy thing has me questioning it. If you want that Walmart gamo lmk I have a 22 magnum to trade…. Couldn’t help it. I’m very sorry to hear your having trouble getting good groups with your new huben. That really sucks. I thought these were long range accurate, at least with heavy slugs. Hopefully like TMH mentioned it’s something that works itself out with time, finding the ammo your gun likes, and getting acquainted more with the gun. I can’t recall the brand, but my buddy mentioned a high end slug for those. For the life of me I can’t remember the name only that he said it would be cheaper to shoot rimfires. 

@TMH 

Seems like you guys all agree the huben likes heavier lead. That’s great for the woods which is where I enjoy spending my time. However, I’m curious if it can be reg’d way down to shoot light pellets in my basement range on crappy days. Know of anyone who has tried this? If so how did it work out? Also would like to ask, do the slug barrels shoot pellets with the same accuracy as choked barrels or is it one or the other? 

Stay sharp guys

Eric

@TMH 
Seems like you guys all agree the huben likes heavier lead. That’s great for the woods which is where I enjoy spending my time. However, I’m curious if it can be reg’d way down to shoot light pellets in my basement range on crappy days. Know of anyone who has tried this? If so how did it work out? Also would like to ask, do the slug barrels shoot pellets with the same accuracy as choked barrels or is it one or the other? 

Stay sharp guys

Eric

Kelly at Kraz Cool specified to me that the reg needed to stay up pretty high to allow the semi-auto function to work properly. On my first .25 he recommended no lower than 130b if shooting the lighter (25.4) pellet.

Note, however, that the power wheel on the gun gives one tons of adjustment. Like 86 clicks of total travel. With my regulators set around the 150b mark, and shooting pellets only, I never find myself using any more than the first 27 clicks or so, or less than 1/3 of the total power wheel adjustability. With a lower reg pressure I can see opening up that power wheel more for 'normal' shooting, and then having lots of clicks available to tone the gun down for basement shooting.

However if you have to get too low in power for the basement, running too low a power wheel setting will also ultimately impact semi-auto cycling. With the K1's known for POWER first and foremost, I have never previously heard of someone wanting to use one in their winter basement.

Yeah, my experience with the K1 (in .22) has been that it doesn’t “love” the lighter pellets. I shot some 15.9 grain ones last weekend with my sons, and they were somewhat erratic. Now, we were shooting offhand, at 2” spinners at 25 yards. However when I use the 25.4 grain pellets at that range we usually have no trouble going 5 for 5 . I didn’t have the chronograph with me, so I couldn’t really check the speeds, but dialing it down to 18 or 15 clicks did seem to improve things, compared to the 20 and 22 clicks I usually use with these pellets. (I get an average of 915 FPS at 22 clicks, and 872 FPS at 18 clicks with the 25.4s).

I must say that i get pretty good accuracy with my rifle using pellets of all weights. I tried the Huben slugs and they were “OK” at 25 yards, but not quite as good as the pellets. I didn’t spend a lot of time tuning for them though, so it might be possible to get better accuracy. The Huben, IMHO, will never match my Impacts or Crowns for absolute accuracy (or my Steyr for that matter). But is certainly the equivalent (or better) of my Leshiy 2, and for practical accuracy, or hunting, I have to agree with TMH that it is perfectly fine, and maybe even perfect. Add the ability to dial in incredible power, then go down to a pussycat, and I’m very happy with mine. By the way, my reg was set at 15 (150 Bar) by John when i got it and i haven’t touched it since.

For shooting in the basement (which i do a lot of in the winter) i would suggest a middleweight pellet rather than very light. Just turn the power wheel down and you should be fine, at least with the .22. I have heard that the .25 barrels may be different.

Chris

I think I have found the issue.

I decided to take the gun down and do a visual inspection.

Things looked great until I got the receiver separated from the barrel/mag assembly.

Then I found quite a bit of very fine lead shavings mostly on the shooters right side.

I removed the magazine from the barrel assembly and OMG.

There is so much lead build up on the right side of the beginning of the barrel; none on the top, bottom, or left.

After inspecting the barrel more it is very evident that the factory did not do a good job on the alignment.

You can see this misalignment and you can feel the issue on the outside where the fixed barrel piece meets the alignment rotating piece.

The groves and lands from the mag to the barrel seem fine.

I think I'm going to tweak this alignment.

Will

Hey that’s some great information guys thank you for sharing that. Going to be a lil bit before I make another purchase which is nice because I can ask y’all questions like these. 

Curious to see how Will makes out with the lead shavings and alignment. That seems like something isn’t quite right with the gun. Are there manufacturer warranties that cover things like that?

Are there manufacturer warranties that cover things like that?

Yes, I'm sure the manufacturer will take this back under warranty, shoot some ammo thru it, and say yep it shoots then send it back.

I'd rather do the adjustment myself so I know it is done correctly.

Will

Will, did you buy it from John at New England Airgun? If so i would take it back to him and see what he says.

Chris

Hi folks, I was wrong. I took this barrel into work where I have a stereo microscope capable of 100X magnification.

It was apparent that the factory alignment was spot on.

I went home and re-assembled the rifle.

I've been watching this guy's videos on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0xgcZ5HWAs&t=1225s

And I learned that when I was seating my pellets forward, and felt the first seat, that there is another seat to be had with just a little more force.

Here is a target I shot at 40 yards.

20210919_212428.1632101478.jpg

So for those that say this is an unnecessary step, I doubt that claim.

Also, at 100 yards the cork screw pellet travel is gone.

My bad!!

Will