New toy - Brocock Sniper XR .177 in laminate

Just got a new toy today, a Brocock Sniper XR .177 in laminate with a Hawke Sidewinder FFP 4-16.

I'm still a n00b and have a .22 Avenger and a Leshiy 2 in .22 and wanted to add a .177 that I could use for pesting and possibly HFT. I wanted the bottle for high shot count as well.

Man, this thing is impressive. I took it out of the box, fiddled around here and there, read the manual, checked the scope function, loaded a mag and took it outside.

First three shots, three mourning doves down. Shots were offhand, standing, only about 25yds up into a tree with some wind blowing. Shooting the H&N Barracuda for now. I've got some of the Barracuda Hunters and some Crossman 10.5 domed too.

The scope IR is fantastic and I really like the reticle with all the windage and elevation reference points. Made it super easy to dope for the wind blowing. A more forgiving eye box than the Vector Veyron 3-12 I have on the Leshiy and the reticle on the Sidewinder is a lot more visible to me as well.

Fit and finish is just great, the Leshiy kind of spoiled me in this regard and this Brocock stands solidly beside it.

Time will tell how it goes, but I'm very happy with it as an initial impression for sure.

I haven't put the chrony on it yet but I'd have to guess it's up close to 20ft lbs

Reactions: Apohlo
Nice choice, I think you will enjoy it. I have only tried AA 10.3 grain and its close cousins the JSB and FX 10. 3’s in mine which it shoots very accurately. It shoots those at about 880 fps which is just under 18 fpe. Can’t tell you the exact shot count but I can easily shoot a FT match including sight in practice with plenty of air to spare.

Reactions: kingsqueak
Great gun, good shooting. if I can make one suggestion. Mourning doves are considered a migratory bird, therefore regulated by the feds. Check your local regulations to make sure you can take them with an air gun, as it is illegal in a lot, if not all states. A federal citation will definitely ruin your day. Enjoy your new toy

I’ve been thinking about this air rifle as I have an FX Wildcat MK1 that I’ve used for everything including HFT. It shoots the 13.4 redesigns very well at 820 fps, just at the 20ft-lb limit. I just had a failure of the magazine - cocking mechanism and decided a gun that could be single loaded would be nice. I’ve wondered if you could tune your rifle up to shooting the JSB 16.2 grain pellets at 900 fps and then with the power adjuster find a setting that would shoot the 13.4 pellets at 800-820 fps? I’d just like to have a 30 ft-lb gun for some hunting and then a 20 ft-lb gun for FT with the 13.4s. Maybe too much to ask out of one gun.

Thanks

Reactions: golfer70