• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to the shooting of air rifles

I've had them, but havent started shooting them much until now.

I have a Benjamin Trails 725 xl .25 cal NP oerated, that I'm looking for advice on sighting in distance. I have a new mil dot scope I just added so I'm resighting in from scratch. I'm shooting a 28 gr. Pellet.m, in my .25.

If my first zero is at 12 yards, what distance would you think my second zero will be, considering that pellet?

Most Coons, pigeons, squirrels when I shoot are in the 35-40 yard range. Just wondering if you think the second zero will fall in the area.

Thank you

The best way to know your gun is to shoot it at different ranges. If you say your target will between 35 to 40 yards, zero your gun at 40 yards and measure where your POI is at 10, 20, 30, 50, 60, .... so on and so on until you notice your groups really open up. Who knows, you might have a good group at 60 yards but the only way to know is to test out your gun.

There is Way more info needed for us to give you an accurate answer, things like scope height, velocity, what pellet, temp, elevation etc..... but here's a guess as to your question. 
1581446352_8617805125e42f4d0788af2.92588875_Screenshot_20200211-103350.png

1581446373_12305826675e42f4e5bb3b53.78795704_Screenshot_20200211-103433.png

this graph is zeroed at 35 yards you see that everything from about 13y to 42y is within a ½" of the Killzone. ;~) 
1581446556_1326064305e42f59c6d10f1.94680353_Screenshot_20200211-104206.png

When I first started I went to home depot and bought wire frames and duct taped cardboard to them and then slapped a shoot and see splatter target on each of them and then took a tape measure and put them 5 yards apart from 5 to 50 yards. I chose to zero at 30 yards as most my game was in that zone. Then I shot the targets 5 times each and measured the average difference between each target. I then wrote a card out with my mildots and taped it to my gun. Put new targets on the cardboard and checked my work. Now I have perfect accuracy for hunting purposes. FYI breakbarrels generally have really nasty grease in the barrel for longterm storage. Clean out your barrel with a patch worm and ballistol until it comes out clean. Also depending on how good they did assembling your gun it might be good to clean and regrease the moving parts on your rifle. I'm not talking about tearing the whole thing down and you don't need to do it unless it feels gritty or something like that. The accuracy gain is in the barrel cleaning. Then watch videos on artillery hold and find where your gun likes to be held. Good luck. That's a great raccoon gun you have there. I thought about getting one but I'm going to get the hatsan 30 cal carnivore. Let all the harsh judgements commence! 

The best way to know your gun is to shoot it at different ranges. If you say your target will between 35 to 40 yards, zero your gun at 40 yards and measure where your POI is at 10, 20, 30, 50, 60, .... so on and so on until you notice your groups really open up. Who knows, you might have a good group at 60 yards but the only way to know is to test out your gun.

Agree completely. Many swear by the "shooting programs" but I don't use them. You are talking about shooting a gun in the end so why not shoot it to get the information you seek. While doing so you learn more about breathing control, trigger control, feel of the gun, and other intangibles that a program can never give.

This an old post By B.B. Pelletier on pyramydair.com. I find it works perfect for me at the same hunting range you use....

"For a pellet gun that shoots around 800 f.p.s., I like to sight in at 20 yards for the near distance. The second distance will be around 30 yards, and the pellet will not rise by as much as one pellet diameter at the in-between distances (between 20 and 30 yards). If you sight in at 15 yards with the same gun, the pellet will be back to the intersection of the crosshairs around 40 yards, and it will rise more than an inch in between.

For a gun that shoots 950 f.p.s., I would still sight-in at 20 yards as the near distance but the far distance is now 37 yards or so. For both guns (800 and 950), the pellet will be about one inch below the aim point at 10 yards and will rise to the crosshairs as it approaches 20 yards. "

www.shooterscalculator.com/ballsitic-trajectory-chart.php It may show up as page not found but give it a few seconds and then click on BALLISTIC TRAJECTORY. You will need the exact distance from bore center to scope center. Two rifles with the same pellet traveling the exact same speed will cross the sight line at different distances if bore to sight is different. You will also need the BC of the pellet which will be in the .020 range for many pellets.