• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to the pcp world

Legally, in West Virginia (at least according to Pyramyd Air), these are the rules... "Firearms Season Only. .45 caliber or larger with at least 200 grain slug. Arrow shooting airguns are not legal."

So you're a little under caliber and a little under power. Most I've seen a 30 cal Challenger Pro push is about 130 fpe and you're probably using 70 grain slugs to achieve that.

If your main goal is hunting you may want to sell that Challanger Pro and pick up a regular Challenger in .45 or .50 caliber. You'll save a few bucks too.

It's a great gun and can kill deer though

Last edited:
Legally, in West Virginia (at least according to Pyramyd Air), these are the rules... "Firearms Season Only. .45 caliber or larger with at least 200 grain slug. Arrow shooting airguns are not legal."

So you're a little under caliber and a little under power. Most I've seen a 30 cal Challenger Pro push is about 130 fpe and you're probably using 70 grain slugs to achieve that.

If your main goal is hunting you may want to sell that Challanger Pro and pick up a regular Challenger in .45 or .50 caliber. You'll save a few bucks too.

It's a great gun and can kill deer though
Yea, good point .30cal and under for small game and maybe medium game with the .30 like a coyote.

Reactions: BackWoodsWv
Hello, Im new to the forum. Im slowly getting into PCP.
I purchased a FX Indy (bullpup version) .25 when they were fairly new to the PCP market. I like and still use it.
But Im looking at purchasing my first deer PCP.
1) shooting range 50-60yards
2) 3-4 full power shots
3) .357 ok but prefer .45
4) carbine barrel
5) mag fed
6) LDC attachment
7) 170-196 hollow point slugs
Which leads me to AEA HP max .457.
What are your thoughts.

What's up guys. I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I purchased AEA Challenger pro 30.. I was wondering if anyone has experience hunting deer with this pcp, if so may u give me some tips on tuning and slug grain?
@BackWoodsWv Reviewing your local hunting laws (or laws in the state you intend to hunt) is probably the best first step. That way you can make a sound first purchase. As far as capability is concerned I’d look to what other air gunners have accomplished on deer hunts with big-bore airguns. Here’s a couple threads that may interest you in regards to hunting deer with an AEA .357 https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/aea-hp-max-357-first-deer-ever.1223752/

.58 and .72 https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/aea-zeus-weekend-deer-hunt.1268866/

Last edited: