New to the group

Hi all, relocated to Albuquerque last December and, now that we're settled in; I'm looking to keep my skills up as the municipal range is a bit of a drive and my reloading setup is still in progress. Purchased a Crosman 760 (I know, I know...) then a Ruger (Umarex) Impact Max Elite in .22 topped with a Barsca 3-9x32. Still hobby grade but both are very backyard friendly. Using my "powder" experience to match pellets to the individual rifles is much of the fun as well as punching the center out of targets.

My next interest is the Umarex Gauntlet in .25, specifically the Hajimoto Ultimate package as compared to the Combos available from online vendors. Given this would be my first PCP, I'm concerned about the additional costs, e.g. pump v tank (and the associated "dive shop"/generous fire dept) v compressor. I've always performed my own work on my Limited class pistols when shooting USPSA and have built several AR style rifles so I'm wondering if I should buy the essentials combo from AGD and integrate the Hajimoto mods as funds are available.

Would appreciate insight from those who have "walked the same path" and looking forward to gleaning information from the forum and finding fellow members in the ABQ region.

Thanks!

Reactions: JimNM
Welcome to the group! There's a ton of information on here and we are pretty friendly. So if you have any questions ask away. 

Never owned the Guantlet, so someone else can fill in for me. 

Pump vs tank.

Depends on how much air your pcp will need to fill up and how efficient it is, plus how much your shooting. I started with a pump but that got old quickly. So I got into a carbon tank and a compressor to keep topped off, as a dive shop will charge you per fill plus you have to drive and your tank has to be current hydro.

So everything has its pros and cons. 

i got into airguns to keep my shooting skills sharp without driving to the desert, and paying much less for ammo (especially now). airgunning has now become my favorite way to shoot.

i'm mid 30's, in better than average shape, and quickly got sick of hand pumping. i may shoot more than normal (typically will find time to get through 50 or so pellets a day), but think i fall somewhere in the middle for folks on this forum.

i would recommend getting yourself a compressor, so you are not reliant on a scuba shop or anything else. i'm less than half a year in with a compressor, so will refrain from making a recommendation on which one. which one you choose will also depend on whether or not you will be filling scuba tanks locally, for use out in the field. i fill direct to gun.

i would recommend taking a look at the avenger, which many have had success with, and falls in the $300 range. i had a seneca aspen, and nova freedom (different brandings of the same gun, essentially the older, built in pump version), and found it to be very accurate, and moderately quiet before i installed a donnyfl.

Online as far as I could find in NM. Big Box stores have the nitro piston selection, but I am not interested in that line of air gunning.

The site sponsors are a good bet - I like to support who supports the forum. Check out the links in the banner above.

Pyramid Air

Airguns of Arizona

Utah Airguns

Airgun Depot

etc.

BTW - scammers follow all the forums like sharks after a chum bucket, and will barrage you with unsolicited offers - beware especially of the "I know a guy who has what you want... email him at [email protected]" kind of offers. In general, buy from trusted sources or trusted and vetted forum members.

Get a tank... Especially since you want to shoot a gas guzzling 25 caliber with a bottle gun. I have enough stress pumping a 177 with a small reservoir to only 2000psi for a Benjamin Maximus. Doable and could use the exercise but prefer using my tanks instead.

Start from 4:45... He is only filling a small 3000psi gun reservoir here...

https://youtu.be/eUuPs2RL12o

Hi,welcome to AGN. I entered the pcp world by purchasing a Hatsan FlashPup,22cal,(very accurate and very good power). Got a Yong Hen compressor a year & a half ago. I fill the rifle directly from it. I put that Royal Purple compressor oil in it, still runs fine, just changed the oil, the used oil was still good.Added the gold color filter tube. A 5 gallon bucket/with lid with distilled water. I use a brick/block of blue ice in the bucket to help keep the compressor head temp down. I did have to replace the the aquarium water pump a couple months back and the read-out for the head temp has gone bad,replaced it, the replacement is bad too. All set under or attached to my work-bench. I don't shoot a 500 count tin of pellets a week like alot these nuckleheads do so I don't feel the need to buy a very expensive compressor and big air tank. I may get 1 of those small (buddy bottles) in the future for an air source so I can travel with-out loading up the whole shebang. I fill mine 1 to 3 times a session,once or twice a week when the weather is favorable. It has served me well so far. I still have my 2 moderately priced springers ( a break-barrel and an under-lever,22 cal ) and they r a treat to shoot. The pcp is an eye-opening experience. It's,,,well,, your gonna find out and then it's just the beginning of getting your mind wrapped around it,lol. best of luck 2 U

I'd say check your surrounds before planning bottles / compressors etc. If you have a reliable place to economically get bottles filled, you might be best off buying a large-ish tank that you can refill your guns from many times. That also has the advantage of being portable (you can take it across the state, etc). If there's nowhere to fill a tank close by, you might be better off with a compressor. Then it's a judgement call: go for the compressor you'll ultimately end up buying, or get a "cheap" compressor and use it for as long as it lasts? I wouldn't recommend a hand pump for anything but preparation for the apocalypse. The good ones are usable, but you'll get tired of using them...

GsT

If you get the gauntlet you will not want to hand pump it. Unless you are using it only a little. For example I plink and have fun with my 177. My airforce condor 25 only comes out when a coon needs to die. In those cases I hand pump but if I want to shoot more of the 25 then I definitely use my compressor. If you got a handpump and a rifle with a smaller reservoir and stuck to 177 or 22 you wouldn't have too much trouble. Eventually anybody that stays in pcp airguns will get a compressor or at least a tank. It's just the way of it. If you do get a tank get the biggest one you can find. Gluck

I started off with a Crosman DIY PCP gun and a small 90ci tank I got filled at the paintball shop. 

Then I graduated to a hand pump, until I bought my Impact and my arms would not do it anymore. That is when I broke down and bought the Yong Heng. The Yong Heng has been my best investment thus far.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824234795.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.72c13b0bnFmbQw&algo_pvid=5b0010a2-58de-4d1c-a0fa-a927884d9ccb&algo_expid=5b0010a2-58de-4d1c-a0fa-a927884d9ccb-21&btsid=0ab6f83115921872774404639e72df&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Only purchase the Hardcover or Set Pressure units the others do not have a water separator or only charge to near 3000psi.

You will likely need a better moisture filter I use this and it werqs well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891898253.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100009.1.28e3300f6DkepX&gps-id=pcDetailLeftTopSell&scm=1007.13482.95643.0&scm_id=1007.13482.95643.0&scm-url=1007.13482.95643.0&pvid=ee6081dd-618c-4b13-b7f0-f92fffac6e3d&_t=gps-id:pcDetailLeftTopSell,scm-url:1007.13482.95643.0,pvid:ee6081dd-618c-4b13-b7f0-f92fffac6e3d,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%2316_668%23808%234094%23195_668%23888%233325%2310_668%232846%238113%23681_668%232717%237560%23259_668%233164%239976%236873164%239976%23687

Later on when I started shooting much more I went ahead and purchased a spendy Made in USA tank. It has been excellent in every way so far.

http://experthpa.com/cart/cart.php?m=product_list&c=12

I started off with a Benjamin Maximus but it is a single shot PCP. So then I bought a Benjamin fortitude generation two. It is easy to pump up and is regulated so you get a lot of shots per fill. And it is a multi shot. $300. Benjamin gives you a better warranty also. So far I have been lucky and never had any of the Benjamins leak any air. And like what was already mentioned, from what I have seen the air Venturi avenger seems to be a good bargain and has gotten pretty good reviews. I don’t mind hand pumping as long as I don’t have to go over 3000 psi. I can use the exercise anyway. Getting older. I bought one of those $40 Chinese hand pumps and is still working fine for 2 1/2 years. But if you don’t have a gun that gets a lot of shots per Fill then you might want to get a compressor.Some guns have bigger reservoirs and are harder to pump up. But before I buy anything I look at plenty of reviews from different sellers and also look at YouTube videos that people test them and review them. And most of these Guys are Reputable people that do the review.

Welcome! People are really nice here. I'm a very recent addition, coming from effectively zero knowledge and experience to the world of modern airgunning, and people have gamely tolerated my questions both ignorant and probably inane to those who know what they're doing. I remain grateful. And I intend to try them even further. :D You can too. They're remarkably tolerant and helpful, focused almost entirely on advancing the hobby and trading info and ideas rather than the egotism, cliquishness, or one-upsmanship common to many forums.

Sounds like you're far more experienced than I am, so you just have to find your version of community rather than figure things out from scratch like I'm trying to do. There will be plenty of room for you here, including among some very experienced people, so I am sure you will feel welcome in short order and find the forum and its members and resources valuable.

Regarding tanks: I'd say err on the side of spending too much/getting a bigger tank than you need as opposed to getting something smaller, cheaper, and portable. I almost instantly regretted getting a smaller tank, looking for portability. I realized I am not hitting the road to shoot anywhere near as much as I am shooting local, and that whether you hire out your air to a scuba shop or fill with a compressor yourself -- well, a lot of fun is about RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, uninterrupted ... and the bigger the tank, the fewer the interruptions, the more smooth-sailing fun. The carbon tanks don't weigh as much as the steel tanks I dreaded when I was young either -- a decent sized carbon tank is not a pain to lift at all. The 100 cubic inch tank I got ... I would rather keep as a back-up or almost never-use and just get a bigger one instead. GO BIG OR GO HOME ... IMO ... with tanks.

It's the shooting that's fun, not taking the time to fill cylinders and tanks ... that's just an unpaid sometimes sweaty job ...

Hi Easy. You may want to think about starting with a tank rather than pump or compressor.

I know of at least 3 scuba shops in ABQ and know that at least one will definitely fill to 4500 psi. (I use them).

If you decide to move up to a compressor later, you'll always have the tank as a back up, or portable air to tether to your gun.

If you need more info or details, PM me. I'm in your area.