• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to the forum, looking for recipes

Good morning everyone,

I just found this forum and am looking forward to the wealth of information.

This year my sons want me to help them to start hunting squirrels and I am 100% behind them doing so. I need some good tying materials for my fishing.

I would like to use the meat without it going to waste, but I’m not sure my wife would go for these meals. Does anyone have any good recipes that you enjoy? Me and the boys are up for anything, but the wife can be a little skeptical of our game meals.

Thanks in advance,
Trout

Meat Eater always has great recipes for game. I usually start there first.

Reactions: Str8tshooter
Cleaning them is the first challenge. I have tried several ways to get the skin off and now use the shirt and pants method. I cut through the skin in the middle of the squirrel and hook fingers in under the hide and then pull in opposite directions. It works best if my cut goes all the way around the squirrel. Scissors work better for me than a knife. Legs are poked through after the skin from the body is removed back to the leg. I save only the legs and the back part of the back. There is very little meat on the front of the rib cage and back and taking 4 pieces off this way avoid the look of a rat that the carcase can have if you leave it whole.

My favorite way to cook them is to just put them in my pressure pot and steam them for an hour. They come out very tender and the meat will fall off the bones. I either pull the meat off the bones as I eat it and dip it in bbq sauce or I pluck all the meat off first then put the sauce on top and eat it. I like mac and cheese and broccoli with it. One caution - the bones are small and it's hard to get all them out of the meat without missing one or two. I think it is mainly an issue when I try to take the bones out all at once. I often have to spit out a little bone as I eat the meat.

Good morning everyone,

I just found this forum and am looking forward to the wealth of information.

This year my sons want me to help them to start hunting squirrels and I am 100% behind them doing so. I need some good tying materials for my fishing.

I would like to use the meat without it going to waste, but I’m not sure my wife would go for these meals. Does anyone have any good recipes that you enjoy? Me and the boys are up for anything, but the wife can be a little skeptical of our game meals.

Thanks in advance,
Trout
As long as it includes Bacon and garlic with some fried onions....... Personally never had squirrel the ones I shoot aren't for human consumption.