New to the break barrel.

Just got a Benjamin Titan NP .22. Bought a better scope for it and sited it in at 15 yards. Now I've shot it 400 time and can't group for nothing. Sometimes I hit dead center and the another time I will hit 3 inches up left or right and next could be 6 inches down left or right. Is it me or the rifle?? I have a Crosman 1077 and hit pest birds and squirrels all day long with head shots 20 yards to 30. I try to hit them with the Titan and miss them all the time. Got it on Amazon and they are sending me another just in case it's defective. Any advice or pointers will be very appreciated. Thank you..... 

Springers are hold sensitive and I think that might be something your struggling with. When you fire the shot, you have to let the rifle move. Holding it tight will result in missed shots. Holding it like your Co2 rifle will result in missed shots. 
I think guys use what's called a "military hold" to shoot springers accurately. Try loosening up your grip and focus on letting the rifle recoil how it want to. If your shooting off a bag, try placing the rifle on the back of your hand. If your shouldering, try a very light shoulder contact.
I'm sure some of the more "seasoned" springer shooters will chime in with their advise as well. 
Good Luck!
Tom

"Tominco"Springers are hold sensitive and I think that might be something your struggling with. When you fire the shot, you have to let the rifle move. Holding it tight will result in missed shots. Holding it like your Co2 rifle will result in missed shots. 
I think guys use what's called a "military hold" to shoot springers accurately. Try loosening up your grip and focus on letting the rifle recoil how it want to. If your shooting off a bag, try placing the rifle on the back of your hand. If your shouldering, try a very light shoulder contact.
I'm sure some of the more "seasoned" springer shooters will chime in with their advise as well. 
Good Luck!
Tom
Thanks for the info! I'm going to try that hold. Really love the rifle. Has a lot of power for longer distance. Have a Happy New Years!

"davemac18"try differnt pellets
screws tight on stock
scope screws tight
clean barrell real good
400 shots may be just braking in also 
shoot off a bag but put your hand under stock works great for me with no grip so gun can move.
Ok will check after this message. Was reading about dome pellets that they are highly recommended for accuracy and distance. Going to order some on Amazon. Thanks and have a happy New Year!

You can find lots of good videos on Youtube that address your accuracy problem with break barrel air rifles. I recommend that and if you can find Tom Gaylords advice on the internet he gives great pointers. Many air gunners have been where you are and It's just a new learning curve for accurate shooting. If you can find a review of your rifle on line it may also give you insight to what pellet may be the most accurate. Hang in there and your accuracy will improve.

It is a very unpopular opinion, but I do much better with my springers (HW50s and HW77K) when I hold them tight to my shoulder. If I try the "artillery hold" my groups become 5-6 inches wide at 55 yards. If I hold them nice and tight, I can make both guns do 2 inch groups at 55 yards pretty consistently and even end up with sub 1 inch groups (again, 55 yards) every once in a while. Now, some will probably respond with "2 inches at 55 yards? that's horrible!" I would like to preemptively respond by reminding them this is a post about SPRINGERS, and springers are not capable of the same accuracy as PCPs. I, for one, am quite pleased when I can put all my shots within 2 inches of where I want them, on a regular basis, at 55 yards with a sub 12 foot pound springer.

Everything I'm saying about technique is, of course, after you have loctited screws, ensured your seals are good and your spring/gas ram isn't broken, and ruled out the scope as a possible problem. 

With most physical skills in life, it seems repetition is what builds muscle memory and muscle memory is what leads to repeatability. What I am getting at is that the most important thing you can do is be very consistent with every shot, and spend a lot of time doing it. Springers are very sensitive to how they are held. I have found that if you can hold the gun the same way you were when you sighted it in, your chances of that pellet going where you want it to every time are dramatically increased. That is the hard part though, repeating every aspect of the shot perfectly.

When I shoot my springers, I am repetitive to the point of looking ridiculous. I pull it tight into my shoulder and if if it doesn't feel just just right, I will repeat that initial motion until the clothing isn't bunched up between me and the gun and it isn't too high or too low on my shoulder. I also make sure to hold the guns in the same place every time, judged by where the checkering/stippling patches are on the stock. I also don't wrap my thumb around the grip but leave the thumb rested against the back of the grip pointing up towards where the back of the action stops. There are a lot of nuances with springer shooting and learning how to shoot each one is an adventure. What is nice is how rewarding it can be to send a pellet downrange, instantly knowing where that pellet is going to go, depending on whether or not I was holding the gun the same way I was when I sighted in the scope.

Springers are like shooting three pointers in basketball. PCPs are like clicking a computer mouse. The skill required with springers has to be approached as a personal challenge and is so rewarding when it works out. PCPs are for when you just want to very precisely smack something with a pellet.

fordracing. I agree with all the above. Sometimes those powerful breakbarrels can cause you to drink heavily. I would use the removable locktite on all the stock screws and scope screws. Also sometimes the scope that comes with those rifles stink and wont hold zero with the heavy pounding nitro pistons deliver. I would also use a good round nose pellet. If it still shoots wild try the 21 grain h&n baracuda and the crow magnum pellets. They worked well in my benjamin trail nitro piston. Tuck the rifle snug in your shoulder and rest the front on your hand even when shooting off the bench. Dont squueze it just rest it and let the rifle do what it wants. If that doesnt work try a better scope made for magnum springers. Good luck.

What "better" scope did you mount? Piston powered guns have a wicked recoil that destroys scopes in short order. A high dollar scope for your AR-15 will die an ugly death on a nitro piston air gun.

Did you change pellets from the accurate shooting to the wild shooting? A pellet is drag stabilised, and excessive pellet speed will show up as poor accuracy. Heavier pellets will shoot slower, and may help you find the missing accuracy.

"JimNM"What "better" scope did you mount? Piston powered guns have a wicked recoil that destroys scopes in short order. A high dollar scope for your AR-15 will die an ugly death on a nitro piston air gun.
Did you change pellets from the accurate shooting to the wild shooting? A pellet is drag stabilised, and excessive pellet speed will show up as poor accuracy. Heavier pellets will shoot slower, and may help you find the missing accuracy.
Center Point 3-9 x 40 mm. The scope was $60 but a lot better the the Center Point 4x32 basic scope it came with. Just ordered a laser bore sight kit. Going to bore sight it shoot it 10 times and put the laser back in the barrel to see if the scope held zero. Good tool to have to see if you have scope issues. Also ordered dome pellets. They say the dome work the best in these guns. Amazon is sending me another rifle for exchange. Gonna shoot both and compare. Amazon gives me 30 days to send it back and gives me time to compare. Thank for you help.

"JimNM"You have a scope problem. Unless it is sold as AIRGUN RATED... it won't last long on a spring/nitro piston rifle.
You suggestion is the Hammers 3-9x40 from Amazon. It is magnum airgun rated and should do ya better on that slam/slam\ gun.
Ok I just ordered the Hammers 3-9x40AO Magnum Spring Air Gun Rifle Scope with One Piece Mount on Amazon for $61. Will get a refund on the Center Point. Thanks for your help !

I have owened the Benjamin Titan NP for about a year now. I liked the gun when I bought it but was also frustrated by my inconsistent shooting. I did everything that was recommended to the gun (trigger, cleaning, scope, pellet varity). Everything always seemed to help, but I was sure it could get better. I studied everything I could and decided I had to perfect the artillery hold. I practiced and practiced (2000 rounds) and was perplexed. Sometimes great, sometimes not so great. One day i decided to plant my cheek, grip the trigger, pull the gun into my shoulder, simi good grip on forearm, and i strarted grouping shots like never before! It didn't make any sense, everything i had read was all about the artillery hold. I adjusted my scope to my new firm hold and now group shots the size of a dime at 20 yards and pellet holes at 10 yards. Yes, pellet holes. If something isnt working for you, then change it, everyone else just might be wrong about your particular situation. Hope this helps!

I have owned a long laundry list of springers including the scope punishing Beeman Crow Magnum III

(Theoben Eliminator). In all cases, I achieved better accuracy with a firm shoulder and forearm grip. The issue

with springers is that slight gun movement occurs once the piston surges forward after trigger is pulled. If this

movement happens before the pellet leaves the barrel your accuracy will suffer. 

I have a Crosman Shockwave, the 4x32 scope that came with it was horrible, got a Mantis 3-9x32 and it is great. Then I put a new piston and breech seal. It was still not grouping well. All this time I was using the Crosman premier 14.3 gr pellets. I decided to try a better quality pellet, so I got H&N FTT's cleaned the barrel and wow what a difference! Every pellet fits in the breech exactly the same, unlike the Crosman's! Give this a try, hope it helps.