New to the Athlon series

Happy Saturday , 

So, as a avid firearms user , collector ….. and former hunting guide, for the first time I have been introduced to the Athlon brand of optics . As with many of my friends in my hunting circle , if it wasn’t Leupold, Swarovski , or NF , it wasn’t a serious scope ! I know there are others but this is the opinion of my small sample . I knew the Vortex line of scopes will be coming a hot item in the market for the last several years I’ve seen them perform against the glass mentioned above and wasn’t quite satisfied . I know one’s opinion about glass and people have different eyes and all that kind of stuff there’s 1 million variations of each brand and so comparing apples to apples it’s probably a hard thing to do but really this goes to name brand recognition and years of market advertising and Performance. But when it came to the first Athlon midis scope I looked at , I was extremely Impressed. I just bought two and I’m going through the sight in. My initial opinion of these and how clear and adjustable they are opened my eyes to say the least.

I would like to see what everybody else is opinion is on glass and performance especially when dealing with this Athlon series and I will keep updating this post as a use these optics for plinking target practice and hunting!

my opinion on scopes is its 'not' about the glass nor for tje most part function with some of the latest bargain scopes on the market .. they are incredible compared to the last generation bargain scopes and exponentially better ...all a growing boy will ever need lol ... what your getting for that big ticket scope is 'repeatable' precision especially in the turrets, so unless your competition level serious or need the dopamine boost youll get for showing it out to your friends its a big waste of money ...

Hello Extex92

I have owned several Athlons both for hunting and target shooting on Powder Burners and have always found them to be excellent scopes. Here is a photo of one on a custom 22LR target rifle that I have now.

Be safe and have a great day,

ThomasT

Mark2-Athlon-103.1653165453.jpg

Thanks to all, there is one time when the high dollar scopes show there value. I was on a hunt in west Texas. I seen a large framed buck chasing a doe way out of range the first day I was on the ranch . I focused on getting that buck because he was the biggest seen. So on the last evening of the 3 day trip . I was on a rocky point overlooking a dry creek bed with a buddy of mine . Just the day before he was bragging on his Vortex binoculars , right at 5 minutes before end of legal shooting time , I see the buck moving between some cedar trees , my buddy could not see him , I had Leica binoculars and a Swarovski scope. I could see the deer . As soon as he stopped , I fired ! And now he is on my Fireplace. So to me it’s about the little things your paying for at a certain price point ! But these Athlons feel and look very , impressive . Next I want to try out the Element models , anyone have success with them ?

. Next I want to try out the Element models , anyone have success with them ?

Yes. I have 4 Helix scopes and they aren't too bad. But once you get used to Athlon glass, the Elements are dimmer — not as sharp. Most here (the hunters) will swear by them, but nothing beats good glass, as you just attested to. My advice is go with Athlon.

Love the Cronus, Ares, and Midas! Got my first Athlons from sponsored pro shooters . Liked ‘em so much I purchased a Cronus and five more Athlons to get closer to my goal of having an optic for every rifle. I know how great the warranty is but have yet had to use it. I have one Kahles, one Mk4 Leo, a Razor , and a Nightforce—--tired of moving and re-sighting in all the time. So Athlon it is for me!

There is something to be said about consistency and if most of your guns have the same scope and reticle , you will be more consistent ! I have 3 Leo VX-6 scopes on my hunting fire arms and I love them, they have the turrets customized to the load I’m shooting, so that part is very cool. 
But I’m believing in this Athlon glass, and it has my attention for sure !!!!! 

Love the Cronus, Ares, and Midas! Got my first Athlons from sponsored pro shooters . Liked ‘em so much I purchased a Cronus and five more Athlons to get closer to my goal of having an optic for every rifle. I know how great the warranty is but have yet had to use it. I have one Kahles, one Mk4 Leo, a Razor , and a Nightforce—--tired of moving and re-sighting in all the time. So Athlon it is for me!

what model NF and kahles you own Bert 

I had an Argos BTR Gen2 1-8x24 sitting on my shelf for well over a year. It came as part of a package deal and for a few reasons I never messed with it much. 

I had a set of correct height rings free up and I decided to give it a try.

It is a solid scope for the price. Very light for a 1-8 and has a great eye box, which I never fully realized until I got the correct height rings on it. For a fixed parallax scope the depth of field seems forgiving. It is difficult to pick out what the weak point of this scope is for its price class.

If I could get this scope with something more akin to the ATMR3 reticle and have the parallax adjusted a bit closer I'd probably buy a few.

My 12 year commented how much he liked it the first time he used it.

I've been an industry insider with Athlon from the start of the company. Saw some growing pains and the striving of the CEO's to communicate to the manufacturers what "we the shooters wanted" and from there also saw the fruit of their efforts over time. Everything got better, the glass, the internals, the tolerances, the turrets, even the features and reticles were improved.

These newer Athlon Gen 2's are darn good scopes, are very hard to beat for the money, and its pretty nice being able to have tactical style scopes that focus close and are well made! I've tried other brands, even expensive scopes, and I'm just not seeing the value in those $2000+ scopes anymore.

I've been an industry insider with Athlon from the start of the company. Saw some growing pains and the striving of the CEO's to communicate to the manufacturers what "we the shooters wanted" and from there also saw the fruit of their efforts over time. Everything got better, the glass, the internals, the tolerances, the turrets, even the features and reticles were improved.

These newer Athlon Gen 2's are darn good scopes, are very hard to beat for the money, and its pretty nice being able to have tactical style scopes that focus close and are well made! I've tried other brands, even expensive scopes, and I'm just not seeing the value in those $2000+ scopes anymore.

Now, if they will just bring that rumored field target scope to market 🥳. Uj

Have one of the Talos BTR optics, and I agree they are nice scopes, but there was something with it that my eyes didn't like. Tracking seemed to be good on the scope, as well as focus and tacticle feel. Ended up going with a Vortex PST2 for the rifle instead. I have those on a few rifles and know I like them.

Have it in the classified section now.