• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms New to the airgun world

I am brand new into airgun and have been speaking to a lot of people about which airgun is the best option for me. I am a huge bird hunter and primarily would be using my airgun to shoot birds and small game. Many people have said my best option right now is to go with the Brocock Ghost .22 as it will give me the best bang for my buck.

Any thoughts on other options and/or if I just purchase the ghost compact?

Thanks!

Man that’s a lot of money for your first. I know my taste changed a lot in the first year, and I didn’t really know what I wanted/needed until I got a couple guns under my belt.

I’m sure it’s an awesome gun but it takes a hell of a lot of bang to make up for the buck on that one. If it were me I’d go for something that is simpler, cheaper and resembles a hunting gun. Something like a FX Dreamline, Weihrauch HW100, Daystate Huntsman, Taipan Vet or any number of guns more geared towards hunting. Just my 2 cents

Beau

Last edited:
You don't need an expensive gun to shoot small game, as you said you were going to do. The Air Arms rifles, Daystate Revere, FX Dreamline and others mentioned are just as accurate and will suit your purpose. If you prefer a more traditional design with a wood stock, the AA 510, Daystate Revere or FX Dreamline are top quality guns and will last a lifetime and more. If you like the "tactical" type, then there are other versions of the Dreamline that fits that type as well as several of the Brococks. Have fun choosing.

I am brand new into airgun and have been speaking to a lot of people about which airgun is the best option for me. I am a huge bird hunter and primarily would be using my airgun to shoot birds and small game. Many people have said my best option right now is to go with the Brocock Ghost .22 as it will give me the best bang for my buck.

Thanks!
Have you held one? Do you like the design and how compact it is? Some like the bullpup feel, some dont. If at all possible, its important to shoulder one. Even better if you can fire one.

Any reason in particular that you were looking at the carbine version? There is no price difference between the HP, Plus and the carbine. The differences are 3/4 lb and about 6 inches due to the longer barrel. I personally went with the HP over a used plus or new carbine because you can always turn the power back but cant increase to hp levels. For instance in 22 caliber, the max FPE of the carbine and the plus is 35FPE and the HP is 65FPE. The carbine only comes with a 300cc bottle the plus and the HP come with a 480cc bottle. So the HP at the same settings would get more shots per bottle charge.

How are you going to fill the bottle? Have you factored in a good compressor like the GX CS4 or a SCBA tank and have a place to fill it? A chrono so you can tune it? A decent scope? Some funds for misc things you find you need?

Others have mentioned some good alternatives. A Daystate Huntsman revere is a solid rifle, as is the Daystate wolverine for a standard rifle design. Personally I'd be a bit hesitant with FX until the recent turmoil stabilizes. It could be nothing or it could get iffy. At least Utah airguns is an established retailer so it should help with the transitions. The revere is lightweight and you can easily put a sling on it.

After attending a local field target match I was hooked. I LOVED how peaceful and quiet air rifles were. I opted not to go cheap on my rifles. Buy nice or buy twice is my motto for things that I will use alot. Its why I got a Daystate Hunstman revere safari and a BRK ghost HP as my first air rifles. I just added a Daystate redwolf Midnight. They fit my needs and I wont be outgrowing them or held back by them like I would with lower quality rifles.

@dnbaz Welcome to AGN. What’s your budget? As @MysticalDragon asked, have you factored in the cost of an air supply for a PCP? The link below contains decent information and user experiences with various recommended air guns for people new to airgunning.

@dnbaz Welcome to AGN. What’s your budget? As @MysticalDragon asked, have you factored in the cost of an air supply for a PCP? The link below contains decent information and user experiences with various recommended air guns for people new to airgunning.

Thanks for sharing that as I was looking for the link. I know it helped me when I first joined.

Reactions: Ezana4CE

Thanks!
Daystate Revere would be a super choice for half the price.

The Ghost has the alternative of change calibers (not for free).

Revere will be easier to shoot out of the box.

Ghost, Revere, Vulcan 3 or Uragan would be super choices all of them. Do not even dare to buy a FX or you will hate this hobbie. Please read my following post:

Screenshot_20231027-203618.jpeg

Last edited:

Ghost, Revere, Vulcan 3 or Uragan would be super choices all of them. Do not even dare to buy a FX or you will hate this hobbie. Please read my following post:

View attachment 400614

Another aoa daystate guy poisoning the well you could totally get away with any stock fx rifle and not bother with a single cosmetic or function upgrade and get exceptional accuracy. get outta here with that bs.

Last edited:

Thanks!
The Ghost carbine is a great option. You can truly set the regulator to 135-150 bar and dial in FPS with powerwheel. I like the compact size and it's really quiet with the Huma or Impulse moderator.

The other option to consider is the FX Wildcat MKIII BT (aka Maverick). That rifle has been "set it and forget it" for my use. It's good out to ~50 yards with Hades.

View attachment 400614
Uhhhhh, no. What FX is or can be is a futtzers gun, the Barbi Doll of the air gun world, you don't have to dress it up but some give into the temptation and lowered bank account.