• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to rifle shooting and could use some advice on 10M choices

I have been backyard target shooting with a Beeman AR2078B rifle. I don't mind shooting CO2 and I really like the side lever for loading it. I really like shooting it, but I was thinking of stepping up a level. If I buy a new gun, I would like it to be qualified for 10 meter competition, even if I never actually compete. I also don't want to break the bank on this. I have been looking at entry level rifles in the under $1000 range. 

I'm looking for opinions or pros/cons in comparing the following rifles. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of choices. I've read countless reviews, but they don't seem to help me choose. Unfortunately, I don't have a resource near me where I could try any of these out or see how they handle. 

Hammerli AR20, Air Arms S400, Beeman 1380 competition (which unfortunately does not come with sights), AirForce Edge with front and rear sights, and even possibly an Air Arms T200. I will never be an Olympian, but I don't like wasting money on inferior or unreliable hardware. I'm open to other suggestions too. I'm not interested in springers, break barrels, or big side lever pumps.

I already own another PCP rifle and hand pump. I don't mind pumping, but I usually do it at the end of the shooting session rather than at the start so my muscles are more relaxed when shooting. Extreme adjustments or adaptability to different shooters isn't important to me, but I want to be able to comfortably shoot the rifle and have it fit me.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather stay away from used. I have two BRNO TAU-200 rifles collecting dust in my garage right now. Neither is functional and the stock completely snapped in half at the pistol grip on one. It was an expensive lesson. It came with a partial tin of H&N Match pellets. Those are some really expensive pellets, by the way...

Thanks for the suggestion of the Challenger. For the money, it doesn't seem to review nearly as well as a similarly priced AR20 or S400. That's why I hadn't considered it. I will take another look at it, though. Have you had good experience with it in the past?

I don’t think anyone has tested the latest model they are set to release at some point this year. I would only consider the yet to be released model though, I wouldn’t buy the one out now set to be discontinued.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Challenger. For the money, it doesn't seem to review nearly as well as a similarly priced AR20 or S400. That's why I hadn't considered it. I will take another look at it, though. Have you had good experience with it in the past?

*Correction to Quote
I don’t think anyone has tested the latest model they are set to release at some point this year. I would only consider the yet to be released model though, I wouldn’t buy the one out now set to be discontinued.

Kabuda,

Don’t overlook the FX Biathlon MK II. Krale will ship. This is a suggestion that comes close to your criteria.

Now, as an ADDICTED 10 meter shooter I’m pleading with you to consider vintage 10 meter guns with phenomenal sights whose front globes accept clear inserts and whose rear diopter sights accept all gehmann irises. Please do yourself a favor and consider self contained platforms that are more accurate than I am. The Walther LGR changed the 10 meter game worldwide. An Anschutz 380 giss system gun or FWB sledge system shouldn’t be overlooked since they are more capable of accuracy than me. A Diana 75 is also in this category. Don’t limit yourself. These are amazing 10 meter guns that can be purchased at a fraction of your stated budget and be serviced if need be decades after they were manufactured because it’s justified. Can’t say this about most 10 meter guns manufactured in these time periods 

Kabuda,

Don’t overlook the FX Biathlon MK II. Krale will ship. This is a suggestion that comes close to your criteria.

Now, as an ADDICTED 10 meter shooter I’m pleading with you to consider vintage 10 meter guns with phenomenal sights whose front globes accept clear inserts and whose rear diopter sights accept all gehmann irises. Please do yourself a favor and consider self contained platforms that are more accurate than I am. The Walther LGR changed the 10 meter game worldwide. An Anschutz 380 giss system gun or FWB sledge system shouldn’t be overlooked since they are more capable of accuracy than me. A Diana 75 is also in this category. Don’t limit yourself. These are amazing 10 meter guns that can be purchased at a fraction of your stated budget and be serviced if need be decades after they were manufactured because it’s justified. Can’t say this about most 10 meter guns manufactured in these time periods

This is very good advice. In addition to the fine rifles already mentioned, I’d also suggest some of the older single stroke pneumatic guns like the FWB 601, etc. 

Hello, You've gotten some very good answers on the vintage 10M rifles. I see you mentioned S400 a few times, and that tells me that maybe you will be buying two different types of rifles in the future. Any rifle can be shot at 10M, however if you are going to compete, it will need to shoot 600 fps or slower for sporter class or precision class (other rules also apply-see CMP rule book). The following is my opinion:

Hammerli AR20 (precision class)

Pros: Walther USA service is very good for getting parts and whatnot. This is a precision class rifle. You're shooting for about .30 or less on the dollar for the precision class.

Cons: flexible buttstock

Air Arms S400 

Pros: very nice, well made and well established rifle

Cons: not 10M approved

Beeman 1380 Competition (precision class)

Cons: just got dusted off the list by the AR 20

AirForce Edge (sporter class)

Pros: kids love the looks of them

Cons: they didn't prove out to be consistently accurate enough for winning 10M work (the accuracy issue can be fixed with an illegal modification if you're not shooting competition)

Air Arms T200 (sporter class)

Pros: perfectly sized for the smallest shooter on your team-is that you?

Cons: the JORTC team and the high school teams that I am familiar with quit using them due to the issues of getting replacement parts ymmv

Crosman Challenger 2009 (sporter class)

Pros: it seems like the vast majority of sporter class records set with JORTC, high school teams, and clubs for almost the last 10 years have been set with Challengers, they are a great workhorse, parts are very cheap, and it has an excellent two stage trigger that is easy to adjust, also the longest sight radius of sporter class rifles

Cons: they need to be tuned for 100 rounds or more, when it comes time to replace the T handle-way down the road, the three little balls inside are kind of a pain

Daisy 599 (sporter class)

Pros: built like a tank, two different bottles available with one for 10M speeds i.e. 600 fps or less, and the other one for higher speeds (the valve is in the bottle not the rifle) I don't know the higher speed specs for it but you are probably in S400 territory with the high speed version

Cons: it's not a true two stage trigger, but not bad

If you want more info you can go to TT and read this: Target Talk on Youth Shooting Programs...Daisy 599 partial/initial review by LERG, includes shot strings, physical dimensions and side by side pics with the Crosman Challenger for comparison (Thursday April 18, 2019). I didn't finish following up, life happened, and then I fell down and broke my back on top of that, and then covid happened, and it's still going on so we haven't been running our rifle project due to the mask mandate, and so no finished review. Hope this helps.

For 10 meter competition I prefer shooting pistol. I do shoot 10 meter rifle, from time to time. In fact, I have 3 break barrel 10 meter air rifles that are easy to shoot and are still inexpensive to buy. The Suhl/Haenel 303-8. They are easy to cock, and quite accurate. All three of mine were purchased in East Germany; when East Germany was a thing. More information, here-

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/08/haenel-303-8-super-part-1/

Gillgirl66, thank you for that very informative answer. I appreciate everyone's input, but your response was especially useful. I know that single stroke pneumatics have their loyal fans, but I am not really interested. I do not enjoy shooting my break barrels at all. To me, SSPs are too similar (I know that is apples and oranges comparing SSPs and break barrels).

I think I might start with a precision rifle and see if I am interested enough to try sporter. Thanks again for the advice.

I finally had time to take a photo of my 3 303-Super rifles. For an inexpensive air rifle they are fun, and easy to shoot.

4F023000-A648-4D2C-8237-9BE54D564289.1620776828.jpeg

I would scratch the CZ200 from your list. It’s too small/light for shooting 10M offhand for an adult. I love the CZ200 and it’s fine with a scope but wasn’t satisfying set up open sight for 10M. Because of that my next 10M rifle was a Feinwerkbau 601. Now that rifle was a full on adult sized rifle that was great for 10M. It made me enjoy 10M so much I replaced it with a new Pardini 10M rifle. With your budget I would look for a FWB 300 or FWB 601. Those are stellar rifles, super accurate rifles, with great triggers.

Reactions: Robonoco
I would scratch the CZ200 from your list. It’s too small/light for shooting 10M offhand for an adult. I love the CZ200 and it’s fine with a scope but wasn’t satisfying set up open sight for 10M. Because of that my next 10M rifle was a Feinwerkbau 601. Now that rifle was a full on adult sized rifle that was great for 10M. It made me enjoy 10M so much I replaced it with a new Pardini 10M rifle. With your budget I would look for a FWB 300 or FWB 601. Those are stellar rifles, super accurate rifles, with great triggers.

I was just going to ask if any of the CZ/AA 200 variations were adult full size rifles. They all appeard to be specifically built for the juniors market which is quite large for 10M. I guess all the models are the "little ones". I loved my FWB 300 but it is quite a bit heavier.

For 10 meter competition I prefer shooting pistol. I do shoot 10 meter rifle, from time to time.

I'm in the same boat, mostly 10M pistol... but couldn't resist getting into 10M rifle, because, well, it's something else to shoot.

Kabuda, for what it's worth, I've had good luck with H&N Sport pellets. Not that expensive... and can't say I've noticed much of a difference in my score between them and the H&N Match.

A friend used to coach some disabled athletes, they had good luck with the Airforce Edge. Lots of adjustments... Kind of light.

For the price of the AR20, I'd be tempted to save a few more $$ and get a Walther LG400 (wood stock) or a Feinwerkbau 500/800