• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to PCP with questions

New to here and air guns. looking at buying my first air gun. 

how do you put a valve on used guns?

Looking at my options

buying a used FX impact X .25 build (date 3/2019) for $1400 adding $500 for good scope.

or buying a Air Venturi Avenger .25 putting a $200 -$300 scope on it AND buying more Dogecoin (haha)

i have free air due to being a volunteer FF 

also will be able to shoot up to 200 yds. 

If you have the money, free air and will be shooting 200 yards the Impact would be a far better choice than the Avenger. I plinked at paint cans and stuff at 200 yards with my early Impact-X and often would hit three or four in a row if the wind stayed constant for long enough which seldom was the case. It's a .22 compact now as I am in line for an M3.

Hit what I was shooting at at 200 yards with the .25 700mm slug A liner in my Impact though.

I’m also new to pcp. After a lot of research and YouTube I decided to buy the Umarex Origin. It was very tempting to just buy an Impact, but I wanted to keep the cost down should I get bored with the hobby. I also liked the idea of having the Origin as a backup/buddy gun if I do get a high end rifle. I was also pretty impressed with the Benjamin Marauder. Good luck with your decision. 

Find an FX Royale 500 if you can. It is an amazingly consistent, reliable, virtually trouble free & ACCURATE rifle. No tinkering, no adjusting, just load & shoot. If you're new the more adjustable & trouble prone Impact can be an exercise in frustration (my opinion). 200 yds, if ever attained, is something that will take time, practice, learning & thousands of pellets. Didn't understand "how do you put a valve on used guns." What kind of VALVE are you referring to? 

I wouldnt spend more then 1200 on the fx. Its falling behind very quickly since the m3 is now available. I think for a first gun the impact would be a decent gun if it comes to you tuned. As a new guy I would be overwhelmed by the adjustability options. I want to do more hitting my target rather then adjusting and testing to get it right. Maybe get an avenger and go from there. Avenger still has a lot of adjustability but will be simpler to get started with. Either way if you decide you dont like shooting air rifles you are likely to get a decent percentage of your costs back in the resale of your guns.

If money isn’t an issue then don’t overthink it. Get what appeals to you. I had a lot of lower end airguns when I started years and years ago and while they were fine I wish I had started with higher end guns. They are just nicer, better built, more adjustable. I went through a lot of lower end guns that just didn’t inspire me. But there isn’t a right or wrong answer at end of the day. Experiment. I still buy/sell as technology progresses and just to try new things. 

My first PCP was a Bemjamin Marauder Pistol. I shoot it as a carbine and I really like it. I hand pumped and it is easy to fill that way. With a little retuning, it knocks my backyard squirrels out of the tree regularly - and they fall because they are dead. 22 ammo is significantly cheaper than 25.

But I wanted a 25 and earlier this year I bought an Avenger in 25. It leaked initially but I sent it in to Air Venturi and they fixed it. Holds fine now. I required a lot of pumping to hand pump so I got a Yong Heng. Working on getting a SCBA tanks setup. Seems like the best way to have portable air. You need a valve setup in addition to the tank. The first one I bought (cheapee from Amazon) didn't work. Waiting on another one now (should be much better). My Avenger is more accurate than my Prod with their current tunes. Avenger shoots 1/4 inch groups with regularity at 33 yards. Prod will but not as often.

I also want a FX and have been thinking of a dreamline. I shoot from the left so an Impact doesn't work for me. I was thinking a dream lite with bottle. But last night I noticed there is a Crown VP (value pricing) for a similar price. Either is under $1500 - but not in stock. Dream lite is cheaper but also not quite as capable (I am thinking of 30 caliber plus probably a 177 conversion (for 177 I don't think it matters)).

It's a pain to wait but if it's what you want it is worth it. I waited 5 weeks for my Avenger to be fixed but I survived (having the Prod helped).

I’d say if you really like shooting and are going to be hooked on this new hobby, go ahead and get a high end gun right away. Once you get hooked it’s all over and you’ll be wanting more accuracy anyway so like they say, buy once and cry once! lol.

Agree. I've seen the same stated by actual Impact owners-that in their view it would be fine for a first time PCP shooter. Probably depends a lot on the INDIVIDUAL.