• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to PCP - SCBA tank vs. compressor for initial investment?

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and to the PCP world. I've decided to jump into the PCP world, and my wallet is screaming at me. Totally, blowing my budget, LOL!

I'd like some advice on what you would invest in first, if you were starting over with nothing? Compressor? SCBA? Hand-pump? Other?? Value for money is what I'm looking for... I don't mind spending a bit more if it's actually worth it. I'm middle-aged, but in pretty good shape, and I'd be filling a 300cc bottle to 250 bar.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 450BM
How often will you shoot your PCP? If you average 25-50 shots a day or less then the hand pump is doable imo.

I started with a hand pump and it worked fine but it felt like it was holding me back. I then invested in a Yong Heng and 45 minute SCBA tank and it’s really hard not to like filling my gun from 100-250 bar in less than 2 minutes!

Also, how much air will you use? A 16 grain pellet doing 28 fpe takes a LOT less air(therefore, MANY more shots per fill) than a 30 grain slug doing 50+ fpe.

Welcome to AGN and PCP! In the beginning, I used a hand pump. That took the fun out of shooting pretty quick for me (some people don't mind pumping). My suggestion to you is to buy a cheap compressor, and a cheap hand pump. The logic is that the cheap compressor will eventually fail, and then you can use the hand pump while the compressor is being serviced under warranty, or replaced.

Here is the compressor that I suggest: https://a.co/d/2tcwPcy
I bought an older model a year ago, and it has been doing great. I also bought the 4-year extended warranty.

Here is the hand pump that I have as back-up: https://a.co/d/2tcwPcy

The wild card factor is if you have a facility nearby that can fill a SCBA tank for you, cheaply. IF I had something nearby, that is the route I would have gone. Refilling from a SCBA tank is super fast and easy. However, they are pretty expensive.

A lot of people on the forum use a Yong Heng compressor to fill a SCBA tank at home. I decided against the Yong Heng because it is not portable, and needs oil and a water tank for cooling. It was just a little more complex than I wanted to deal with.

Get a used SCBA tank & a Yong Heng compressor. They are not "complex". Yes, they require water &, advisably, fans for cooling but it's no big deal for gaining "air independence". I'm in my 3rd year with mine & it's been great. If you're ONLY looking to fill your gun's air reservoir get a portable compressor for the time being. MOST people say pumping by hand gets old FAST. Why not get full enjoyment of this activity (airgunning) from the very start without having to labor at it?

@TitanRebel First off welcome back into the hobby. Here is a thread where a similar question was asked.

It’s a pretty common question. Try using the AGN search feature using keywords like “SCBA tank,” “portable compressor,” “compressor vs. SCBA tank,” “budget compressor,” “budget SCBA tank,” etc and read through some threads.

If you are considering purchasing a Yong Heng compressor the thread in the following link as great detailed information on setting one up and maintaining it. See @biohazardman’s post #2 here

Thanks for quick responses...
I will not shoot everyday, but I would anticipate on the days I do shoot - I would be shooting way more than 25 - 50 shots. So, that's one reason I've been leaning against the hand-pump. Seems like it would take the fun out of all-day shooting sessions?

I do live near large city in Middle TN, and I've made some phone calls to several scuba shops... I got 3 that said they can/will fill an SCBA tank, but two of them said they couldn't get it to 4500psi (one said 3000, the other ~4200). The other one isn't a short drive, but within an hour.

I'll do some research on the Yong Heng

Thanks for quick responses...
I will not shoot everyday, but I would anticipate on the days I do shoot - I would be shooting way more than 25 - 50 shots. So, that's one reason I've been leaning against the hand-pump. Seems like it would take the fun out of all-day shooting sessions?

I do live near large city in Middle TN, and I've made some phone calls to several scuba shops... I got 3 that said they can/will fill an SCBA tank, but two of them said they couldn't get it to 4500psi (one said 3000, the other ~4200). The other one isn't a short drive, but within an hour.

I'll do some research on the Yong Heng
Dont waste money on a tank unless you plan on tethering something like a texan. Get a good pump for freetime filling when at home. Get something like a cheap spritech or other brand compressor for direct to gun fills when not feeling like hand pumping or when actually out shooting. If you cant take a car where you shoot get a cheap car bat for like 40 bucks at wallfart to run your compressor in the field. Hand pumping deff kills the fun. Amazon has quite a few cheap compressor options. I have a spritech. Not the best but does the job. Yongs are better but cost more. Seen alot of good about the gsx series compressors also

Reactions: SHOMER
@TitanRebel Tanks and compressors each serve different purposes. Yes they both fill airgun reservoirs, but there are advantages and drawbacks to each. If you’re hunting or don’t want to make a lot of noise while filling your rifle, a SCBA tank is a great option. It also fills your gun fast, but SCBA tanks can get bulky. If you get one look at carbon fiber tanks. They are lighter and more compact (than SCUBA tanks), but still take up considerable space unless you buy a small one that may only fill your gun 3-4 times. SCBA tanks are also good for about 15 years if maintained well and have no manufacturing flaws. After 15 years I believe dive shops will stop filling them. They also require periodic inspection and testing (over the life of the tank) in order to be filled at a dive shop.

If noise isn’t a concern then a small compressor may be a good place to start, however the thing with small portable compressors is that they require maintenance and are pretty much going fail you at some point. I’m not familiar with some of the newer portable compressor to hit the market recently. Some haven’t been tested long enough to say that they’re good investments just yet. It’s probably better to think of them as disposable.

I started in PCPs with a Benjamin Bulldog and a SCBA tank. That worked well as I had a dive shop within reasonable driving distance that I’d go to have it filled once every 1-3 weeks. Next I bought a portable compressor. Used it a couple of times. Not a big fan but it can get the job done, I’ve plugged it in to the wall and ran it off of a car battery. Next I bought a hand pump, at this point it just sits. The following year I purchased my own compressor after doing a lot of reading and talking to others. Even the guys that ran the dive shop I patronized were helpful. That was my process and I’d probably do it similarly if I could do it all over again because before spending more money to buy another piece of equipment I was able to gauge my interest in airgunning up to that point. Then I made successive purchasing decisions based upon my interest.

Last edited:
Here's how I started... Bought a gun I knew was going to be pump friendly (Cayden).. ran that for awhile, then purchased a 74CF tank that I could have a local dive shop fill (They only fill to 3800psi) It's worked for the last year or so while I save up for a buy once/cry once Alkin compressor. Why you save for a compressor, you will discover if you continue to like the hobby or if it's just a fad that you move on from, the money being saved up can go to other things.

I bought a second gun that was higher end that is may main hunting rig. I'm in it for the long haul so for me it was an easy decision.

Just what I did/am doing.

I started with the hand pump, but as I shot more and more, the pump got the better of me. I then went to a large SCBA tank and had it filled at the local dive shop. Some shops would not fill them unless I had a dive cert and would only fill to 32oo psi. After a while, I got frustrated with that and bought my own compressor. You learn by doing.

Welcome to AGN and PCP! In the beginning, I used a hand pump. That took the fun out of shooting pretty quick for me (some people don't mind pumping). My suggestion to you is to buy a cheap compressor, and a cheap hand pump. The logic is that the cheap compressor will eventually fail, and then you can use the hand pump while the compressor is being serviced under warranty, or replaced.

Here is the compressor that I suggest: https://a.co/d/2tcwPcy
I bought an older model a year ago, and it has been doing great. I also bought the 4-year extended warranty.

Here is the hand pump that I have as back-up: https://a.co/d/2tcwPcy

The wild card factor is if you have a facility nearby that can fill a SCBA tank for you, cheaply. IF I had something nearby, that is the route I would have gone. Refilling from a SCBA tank is super fast and easy. However, they are pretty expensive.

A lot of people on the forum use a Yong Heng compressor to fill a SCBA tank at home. I decided against the Yong Heng because it is not portable, and needs oil and a water tank for cooling. It was just a little more complex than I wanted to deal with.
This logic doesn't make sense to me. It's hard to be more portable than a SCBA tank. Yes, a Yong Heng requires a little research and initial investment BUT...1) I'm now "air" independent; it's easy to find used SCBA tanks and fill those from the compressor and the tank stays in my rig whenever I go shooting 2) a Yong Heng is no different from a woman; treat her well and she'll serve you well for a long time

Wow, you guys and this forum are great! Not expecting so many quality replies so quickly!

I'm leaning toward getting the largest CF SCBA tank I can afford, and get it filled at scuba shop for now, since I have that available to me somewhat close. Maybe a compressor later down the road.
So, the compressors you see going north of 1k that are larger and heavier (Air Venturi, Benjamin, etc..) - are those the only ones that will fill a CF tank? Or, are they just rebranded from China, same as less expensive?

Wow, you guys and this forum are great! Not expecting so many quality replies so quickly!

I'm leaning toward getting the largest CF SCBA tank I can afford, and get it filled at scuba shop for now, since I have that available to me somewhat close. Maybe a compressor later down the road.
So, the compressors you see going north of 1k that are larger and heavier (Air Venturi, Benjamin, etc..) - are those the only ones that will fill a CF tank? Or, are they just rebranded from China, same as less expensive?
@TitanRebel One of the better deals I’ve seen and you can apply another 11% off using the Black Friday code in the banner. Check the date that the sale concludes.

I have been using this tank for a couple of years.

Reactions: TitanRebel

some scuba shop cannot fill to 4200 some only fill to 3200 , something like that ? Check first b4 you buy . make sure they will do .
Local paintball shop to me only fills 3000 .

When I was where you are now not long ago, I decided to get a portable 12 volt powered compressor because I wanted to be able to fill my guns away from home. I only had one PCP Rifle. Not very many months later, I now have SEVEN !

If I had known then what I know now about my shooting routines, I would have skipped the 12V compressor and purchased a used 60 minute SCBA tank ($50 to $90), with an SCBA fill station adapter $43 and a Yong Heng $225 with a good water trap $115 -$125 (The "Orange" one that you never have to change filters on.) Total cost $433 to $483 - LESS than just a new tank and fill station.

I can afford all new tanks, but I just don't see the point. Just make sure the one you get has ZERO damage to the windings under the epoxy finish coat and the inside of the tank is pristine. Talk to the seller and ask them if they will inspect inside the tank or will let you return it if the inside is corroded or cracked.

I got 3 that said they can/will fill an SCBA tank, but two of them said they couldn't get it to 4500psi (one said 3000, the other ~4200). The other one isn't a short drive, but within an hour.

3000 isn't going to work with most higher powered / higher air capacity guns. 4200 will do OK. Be sure to factor in the time and the money you will spend going to the dive shop plus the fact that you will have to spend $300 to $500 more for your tank so they will fill it for you. Plus the downside of running out of air when the dive shop is closed. The closest to me is 45 minutes one way, so I never even considered using a dive shop. I filled my empty Scott SCBA from zero psi to 4500 with my Yong Heng and it never went over about 54C. Took two hours but I found out later I had a leak in one of the connectors, so it would have been faster I think otherwise. My Yong Heng will fill a 500 CC bottle gun from totally empty to 250 Bar in 5 minutes.

Whatever you end up getting, the gang here on AGN will be there to help you with any questions. This site has saved me a lot of time and money, but on the other hand it has cost me a lot of money because of my new "hobby" with 7 PCP guns and growing!

Last edited: