• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to PCP rifles

First of all I want to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas. 

I am new to the PCP rifles and am wanting to get started. My problem is there are so many to choose from and who knows who is giving you a real review. So I could use some help in picking a rifle and a compressor. 

For the rifle I would like to be below 500. The first thing is accuracy and then noise, after that I am open to suggestions. 

As far as a compressor goes I don't want to spend any more than needed but something that will last.

I would be very thankful of any help I can get. 

For the most part just punching paper. But I'll end up taking some rabbits and squirrels. I enjoy shooting and will as much as possible. I travel for a living so lets say I'll shoot once a week on average. I can go 600, I would just want to know the extra 100 is worth it. I know some of them can be tuned to make a better shooter so thats why I'm look for help. I have lots of rifles, optics, rings and such. And I love tunning and working with all my weapons. 

I live in town but have 5.5 acres and a large wooded park behind me. This would give me something I can take out back where all others I have to go to the range. 

...consider a Benjamin Cayden and a hand pump...that should hold you whilst you figger stuff out...if you get the discount it is a great deal that would be hard to beat...

...it is not bad deal w/o the discount IMHO...I like it because it is so much like a "real" rifle w/o trying to be a fake or replica of anything...it is just nice...

...there are cheaper options that will work fine but I still hand pump my guns...my scuba gear just sits mostly...

...it is not at all hard to pump up to 200 BAR...I do manage to pump up the small air tanks on my Ataman AP16 and AirMaks Caiman to 300 BAR but it is real chore at that point...

...it is not like I don't want a compressor but the expense and hassle out weights the chore aspect for me...it would surely not be so for a high volume shooter...

...I know I don't want the compressors I can afford...LoL...

The compressor is a secondary as I normally have a couple of HP100's at 3500psi setting around. My buddy has a small compressor that we fill our tanks with but I don't want to get too much of a habit of that. I like my tanks filled to the max when I go diving. And no need to use up the filters on compressed air for the rifle. 

I do see a lot about the Benjamin Marauder. But I would rather hear from folks on here than someone who is getting kick backs. 

...FWIW I returned a Marauder but I kept my Cayden...who do you think is getting kick backs here...?!?...LoL...

...you could check out Kral, too, the company that actually makes the "Benjamin" Cayden...

...they sell solid products in your range...

...all that said there are a whole slew of $300 rifles worth consideration...the Avenger seems to be the current pick of the litter...

The Benjamin Marauder, is an excellent choice for under $500, and is very upgradable with a Lothar Walther barrel, regulator, de-bounce kit. The Marauder model priced under $500 does not come with these. But I would recommend a bottle over compressor or pump, as it's the most efficient and quickest filling option. Compressors, you get what you pay for and you spend as much on a bottle as a good compressor. I would personally, rule out the hand pump as they do not do a great job with conditioning the air, (i.e. filter of dust and moisture). If you get moisture in your tank it creates problems, with corrosion and eventually leaking of air. Don't overlook a quality air rifle on the used forums of this page, you may find a deal for under $500. 

I haven't shot an Marauder but if you are going to be shooting paper I suggest looking into the Umarex Guantlet 2. I have the .25 ... it shoots 53 FPE with JSB 33.95 MKIIs and it's way better than sub MOA at 50 yards. Talking more like knocking out the pencil eraser sized bulleye on mini targets. Extremely consistent.

The gun has a few downsides such as ergonomics, not the greatest bolt, and a creepy trigger. But you get a ton of shots per fill and in my collection this is the most accurate under 100 yards. Haven't stretched it out beyond that, nor have I found slugs that it likes (yet).

Only issue might be the 4500 psi thing if you said you have access to 3500 psi air. At least it's got a regulator so you'll still get consistent shooting on half a tank.

As for compressors... I can only tell you I had a TUAUTO (Hong Yeng clone) and it blew up almost immediately. I returned that and have an Omega Trail Charger I've been extremely pleased with. But that's a bit over $800. Before that I was using hand pumps. Hand pumps do work, if you're relatively fit and on a tight budget, at least they'll get you shooting. Filling up a 4500 psi tank with a hand pump is a real ball breaker though.

I would have to also recommend a Benjamin Marauder. It is very hard to beat for the money. They are accurate, nearly silent, and just plain work well. It was my first PCP and I still have it and will never get rid of it. I still shoot it and hunt with it occasionally. Mine is like a work horse.......it's always there and never lets me down.

I went with a Marauder pistol and a cheap chinese hand pump as my first foray into the dark side. Best decision as the platform is over 10 years old with solid parts support from crosman, after market parts for tunes and looks, and tons of knowledge on this board regarding this gun. Shooting smaller than dime size groups with HN FTT 5.55 and JSB 14.35. at 20 yards zero and nickel size groups at 40 yards. The cheap $50 Chinese pump has lasted me a year of daily use with regular maintenance of silicone oil and still holding strong. The marauder pistol (Prod) and the Chinese pump has been my trusty backup for plinking fun when the compressor that fills my high end gun breaks.

I am not a YouTuber or paid sponsor, just a pcp noob like yourself who wants to dip the toe into the world of pcp. 

I also recommend a marauder. It's a learning tool. It's a great starter to learn to shoot pcps and learn how to fix seals. They take simple modifications well. I have 4 in .25. If I had it to do over I'd probably buy at least 1 .22 because I can get ammo itd shoot well for 6$ a tin at walmart. Just be careful and dont get carried away with mods or you'll have thousands into a 400$ rifle. Hand pumping is where I started. It's not that bad if you stick to around 3000psi fills. Its exercise but it's only a couple minutes and it's done. Sooner or later I'm sure you'll get a compressor. Hopefully by then there will be something affordable but better then the yong heng.