Umarex New to pcp rifles how to shoot better

I raise Livestok and I have rats in my barn. So I went out and bought a PCP rifle shoot rat the problem. I’m having is at 25 yards. It will not hold a tight group pattern. And anybody who’s ever tried to hunt rats one or 2 inches off you’ll miss it every . I have a.ux origin
I keep it between 15 and 2500 psi while I am target shooting . What can I do to get better accuracy out of this thing. Would different pellets help.
Also I am using a rest when I target shoot

IMG_7370.jpeg

IMG_7371.jpeg

IMG_7366.jpeg

Reactions: 17dean
maybe try a deferent pellet and make sure your parallax is correct on your scope. 18gr JSBs generally shoot well from most air guns.
also clean your barrel if you haven't already
I second trying a different pellet… The pointy pellets are no bueno as you can see for yourself. Try some Crosman Premier Hollow points, you can buy them at Walmart and they’re under $10 a tin…. Your groups at 25 yards should at least me m.o.r. … Minute of Rat…

1. make sure the scope is properly aligned and snug.
2. If it has a parallax adjustment get the scope free standing then look through it and move your head, the target spot should stand still if not your paralax is off, that'll mess you up every time.
3. Those pellets, as others have said aren't but best but...at that range I'm not sure they'll be that bad. You can use Hades at that range easily., they'll leave a serious mark in rats.
4. As said previously clean the barrel.
5. I'd be inclined to shove a pellet through if you can and see if the barrel is snug, but after you clean and adjust your Parallax and test it.

Good luck, it'll all get sorted out.

As said & reiterated here already the 1st, most important thing to do is find what pellets your gun shoots the best with. JSB 13.18gr or FX pellets (same weight) would be a good starting point. Almost ANY pcp should be able to shoot hole in hole at 25 yds but it takes the correct pellet matched with the gun. Avengers have a proven track record. The solution imho is already somewhere on this page. Good luck on your journey.

Reactions: jmohme
Ratskinner. I agree with the other posts. I would also get an inexpensive (like $20) chronograph. Alibaba and Amazon are sources. It's good to know how fast your pellets are going. Most do not want to be accurate going much over 900 fps. Easiest "solution" if lighter ones go too quickly is use heavier ones. I try to keep them 800-900. I don't know what you selected but I always use simple domed pellets - no "hunting pellets" and usually from H&N or JSB. I think both are quality pellets but H&Ns tend to be less expensive so if your gun likes them..... Most of my guns do but I have a couple that like JSB or JSB made pellets (JSB makes air arms, FX and other pellets). I use domed pellets to hunt with too. They work very well.

I believe your Origin is unregulated and you may find that it shoots better at certain pressures. Something to keep track of. But first order of business is to find a pellet your guns likes. My guns will shoot big groups like you picture but will also shoot much better groups with pellets they like. I like to pick a pellet and then fine tune hammer spring and thus velocity from there. Takes me a little while to get a gun set up. I did one recently for another guy and I had the pellet and tune completed and the scope mounted and sighted in in a week. But I've had my newest gun for two weeks today and am just now about ready to say it is tuned. I selected a pellet within the first few days, however. I'm retired and don't work at anything very hard. I could probably do everything in a day if I had pellets on hand that worked. But I find it more fun to go fairly slow.