• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to PCP pump advice appreciated

Wanting to get into PCP with a Mrod .25 I wont be using it a lot mostly or varmit control and need to know what to get for a pump. I have read the posts about the cheap hand pump models on Ebay for $45 an am wondering if that will get me going? or should I spend more for the Benjamin or Hill ? 
If so what do I need to keep the water out as well?
Appreciate any advice for a newbie as I am getting old and tired and not sure if pumping is going to be any fun...

I have a "tousa" ( something like that ) cheepo hand pump and have had 2nd & 3rd en FX, a Hill and a Benjamin, the low cost unit just works better in all regards, and comes with rebuild parts not needed in 3 years. Note, I personally have a altros Booster & small CF tank but lend out & keep as back up the hand pump.

Just a bit younger I hand pumped several big bores , its all technique , back straight drop weight on handle. I do know target shooters who refill during a match because they enjoy it, honest.

Just make sure whom your dealing with, not a reason in the world hand pumps still cost what they do.

John

Thanks for the replies
Spysir I have seen that Tousa pump on amazon.
Do you use the water filter and do they filter good?
Also is that the same as the pumps on ebay I have seen or not, they don't seem to have a filter system?
I ordered a Hatsan Bullboss in .25 and need to get a pump so I can start shooting. I assume the Tousa will fit on that gun? How about the ebay models if anyone has experience with them?
Appreciate any help

Once you start shooting you are going to like it. You will end up shooting more than you think. If I had it to do over again I would skip the hand pump. Get a cheap Chinese compressor and then a tank down the road. I started with a hand pump, that got old quick, then a 100cf SCUBA tank 3300psi, not enough fills still had to use the hand pump. Then a 60min SCBA 4500psi tank, plenty off fills but kind of a pain to get the fire department fill it .Then I bought a Tuxing double cylinder compressor. Bingo that's the winning combo, Tuxing compressor and a tank = unlimited air and unlimited shooting if you have enough pellets.

Thanks for the replies.
What started out as a new hobby is getting expensive fast....
I live in a rural area and don't know where Id get tank filled. The closest paint ball shop is over an hours drive... so Id have to get a compressor. So how much would I have to spend to get into a compressor? Would I need a tank if I had a compressor or could I just fill direct?
I could use more advice on what hand pumps are decent for the money also. 

I guess you could get one of these? it take's 11/2 min. to fill a Coyote from 1600 psi to 3200' But their
1523024115_9453046125ac780f3130a77.66109059_CIMG6777.JPG
$300

What you decide like most things will probably come down to budget. But hand pumping is no fun and it will more than likely limit the amount of time you want to shoot. The yong heng/tuxing compressors I have seen around for $275 on ebay for the 110V models without auto shut off. If that can be done I would start there, if not, cheap hand pump will get you up and shooting until economics dictate you can move upwards in your air source. Good luck. 

The new Air Venturi Portable Self Contained Nomad Compressor is due out very soon and at a quite good price point at $499.99. It will operate on 12VDC or 110VAC. Light too at 17 pounds. If you want a Yong Heng or Tuxing style compressor I have one I have never used. It was a backup and now that I have a Big AV Compressor it is not needed. I never even plugged it in.

Thurmond

Read as much as you can about that Yong Hen before you buy one. I have ZERO experience with them, but it seems that there’s a lot of folk reporting problems with them. The biggest thing will be support. Meaning, you buy it, it fails, you send it back, get a replacement or your $ back. 
I am not a huge fan of AV, but, PA will stand behind the product. 
I personally use the Altaros booster and it has been a great experience so far. They are slow, but I can live with that. 

"Coskunk"Thanks for the replies
So $300 for the Yong Heng? Can someone provide a link where I can get one for $275 or $300. Pm me. 
Can I fill a gun straight off the compressor or would I need a tank also?? Are there more things I would need?
You can charge the PCP rifle directly with a compressor, but monitor the pressure. Especially, if the compressor does not have auto-shutoff feature. Also, make sure you release the air inside the charging hose before disconnecting it. The compressor should have a water separator/filter, or install one inline with the charging hose.

There are some Chinese compressors on Ebay for $280 with free shipping. Maybe able to catch a 8-10% Ebay coupon too.

Example below: the first ships from USA (same guy who sells the rifle mountable laser ranger, the next from CA and can make an offer to shave a few dollars off, the third one ships from China. There are various options, like auto-shutoff and adjustable max pressure....which may cost more. Also, should conduct a search for reviews, because as mentioned earlier some models have a mixed reputation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pressure-Air-Pump-Electric-300BAR-PCP-Compressor-for-Airgun4500PSI-30MPA/282900642788?epid=25017180629&hash=item41de313be4:g:EMEAAOSw~AVYvr-u

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pressure-110V-30MPa-4500PSI-PCP-Electric-Air-Compressor-Pump-System-US/162843056356?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4500psi-pcp-air-compressor-for-paintball-air-rifles-tuxing-110V-220V-300bar/222670099608?hash=item33d82c1498:g:tqEAAOSwYbhZ2GuM

Thank you FE7565 for taking the time to post the links. Ill give them some thought and try to educate myself on them some.
For now I ordered a Benjamin hand pump off amazon for $134 and with the $20 rebate it will be $114. I also ordered a Desiccant trap. I like the idea of having hand pump as a back up regardless of getting a compressor.
I could use some advice one how to properly care for and oil the hand pump so it lasts.

I bought one of the cheap Chinese hand pumps off ebay, and it was a pain to finally get working. I had to order some different O-rings to get the filter unit to seal. However, I did get it to work. I also bought a Hill Mk4, which is MUCH higher quality and pumps more air per stroke than the Chinese pump. The nice thing about having 2 pumps is that I can pump up to 50 strokes with each one, and NOT have a 15 minute cool down period to wait for. With the low shot count of a .25cal Marauder, I would recommend a tank (if you can find a place to fill it), or maybe 2 of the cheap pumps. I do think pumping may get old quickly in your situation.

I just got my first PCP, and not knowing much about hand pumps, I got the MK-4 Hill pump...After the first use...I decided forget the 
hand pumping, too tiring...Afterall, I did'nt sign up for the USA Rowing team! ...So I want to go with a Carbon-fiber tank from Air-Venturi .
Im not sure if there's a scuba place, or paintball shop close to me...I'm just wondering If I can use any commercial air compressor, like a Porter-Cable
from Home Depot...or does it have to be a special one like the Tuxing compressor you talked about

"Radia999" I just got my first PCP, and not knowing much about hand pumps, I got the MK-4 Hill pump...After the first use...I decided forget the 
hand pumping, too tiring...Afterall, I did'nt sign up for the USA Rowing team! ...So I want to go with a Carbon-fiber tank from Air-Venturi .
Im not sure if there's a scuba place, or paintball shop close to me...I'm just wondering If I can use any commercial air compressor, like a Porter-Cable
from Home Depot...or does it have to be a special one like the Tuxing compressor you talked about
Shop compressor wont come close, you are talking about a shop compressor of 150 psi when you need 3000 psi. You will need a high pressure pump to get that, Yong Heng, Shoebox etc. 

Coskunk, it would be good to watch a video about how to properly hand pump a high pressure pump. Do it right and you'll be rewarded. Do it incorrectly and you'll get tired and need to use approximaely 40% more strokes for the same amount of fill pressure. Basically you pause at the bottom and at the top of the stroke. Keep it lubricated with silicone grease. 
All opiniions are just that, and I don't think pumping is that bad, I pumped for about 2 years with my FX Royale 200 and FX Boss. That's right, 500cc at 250 bar. Don't try that with your Benjamin though. I had a Hill. Enjoy shooting. It's such a great sport/hobby!

Right, I'm glad to get back to shooting with a PCP (Hatsan Bullboss) So much better than spring-pistons....
I love everything about the gun...Since you know about hand pumps...My first time filling it today, with the MK-4 Hill
Ill bet I did 100-120 strokes to go from 100 to 200 Bar...That seemed like too much to Me...Especially when it gets Hot out...
Does that sound about right.... Or am I doing something wrong ?