• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning New to PCP, FX Maverick air consumption qestion

EDIT: 5/18

After watching the videos recommended by bamavet55 (thank you Sir!!) took the Maverick back out and I came to realize that did not have a good understanding of the PCP platform and what pressures to refill at(ALL MY FAULT). Now, all that I see is left is to figure out why I constantly have flyers at 35 yards, seems to be every 4th shot, 

Thank you all for your assistance

Rod

I just received my first PCP airgun this week. Ordered the FX Maverick sniper in .25 cal from Utah Airguns and had them tune for the 33.5gr NSA slugs, the paperwork received said 930FPS, which according to my Chronograph was spot on. My question is, What number of shots per fill should I be seeing? I put about 150ish slugs downrange this weekend and was only getting 23 shots per fill which according to the youtube videos I have watched seems low. I have searched for an answer and I believe I don't know the correct terms to search for in an effort to find a place to start, or what process I should use. Could someone point me in a direction that I could use as a starting point?

Thanks for your time

Rod

https://fxairguns.com/rifles/the-maverick/

23 shots at 930 fps? This PCP comes equipped with a 580cc bottle. The FX site shows the Maverick Sniper as getting 170 shots with 25.4 grain pellets at 895 fps. Like you, I would expect to get a lot more than 23 shots per fill, even considering your rifle is tuned to produce much greater power (~ 40 greater power?).

What is your regulator set point?

What is the starting point for your bottle pressure?

I suspect you may need to speak with someone at UAG.

I just received my first PCP airgun this week. Ordered the FX Maverick sniper in .25 cal from Utah Airguns and had them tune for the 33.5gr NSA slugs, the paperwork received said 930FPS, which according to my Chronograph was spot on. My question is, What number of shots per fill should I be seeing? I put about 150ish slugs downrange this weekend and was only getting 23 shots per fill which according to the youtube videos I have watched seems low. I have searched for an answer and I believe I don't know the correct terms to search for in an effort to find a place to start, or what process I should use. Could someone point me in a direction that I could use as a starting point?

Thanks for your time

Rod

See the video review of the FX Maverick Sniper .25 caliber by Steve Scialli, a true professional airgun reviewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ06JSOZUcA&t=25s

At approximately 3:20 into the video, Steve reports getting 98 shots with JSB 34 grain pellets at 64 fpe (~925 fps). Although slugs in general require slightly more energy compared to similar weighted pellets to reach the same velocity, a mere 23 shots is bit excessive (on the low side). 

You should check your fill pressure with reliable gauges just to make sure your starting point is close the recommended working pressure.

Keep in mind that factory gauges have been known to be faulty on occasion.

Good luck with your new toy.

Semper Fi!

For sure when it come to fill pressure i always go by the big gauge on the fill kit VS any little gauge on the rifle showing the bottle pressure.

I haven't noticed how the gauges live up VS each other as i always shoot tethered so i have not looked much on my Maverick bottle pressure gauge

Could be your front REG are pretty high and you fall off that pretty fast and thats why you dont get more shots ?

As i shoot .177 i get like a gazillion shots on a fill,,,,, well i assume i would if i shot while not connected to the 12 L bottle.

Most of the new FX rifles too complicated for my taste, so I can't give you specific advice on your Maverick. But, I can say with near certainty, your tune is way out of balance if you are getting only 23 shots per fill. Unfortunately, some sellers will "tune" a rifle with some quick tinkering until they see the desired velocity, sometimes by just cranking on the HST. If your requested power level is significantly different than the factory tune, that kind of quick fix is not likely to work well. I can't say that is your situation, but the tuning needs attention. 

All,
Thank you for your answers, I will watch the AEAC video a few times so it sinks in!!!! On the note of the gauge may not be reliable, I just ordered digital gauges to replace the factories, a big plus will be being able to read the gauge without readers. With my schedule, it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back out to give anything a try by then I hope to have enough info digested to get it a little better. Again I am completely new at using air as a propellant so I am willing to listen to advice when given.

Thank you all for your responses.

Rod

After watching the videos recommended by bamavet55 (thank you Sir!!) took the Maverick back out and I came to realize that did not have a good understanding of the PCP platform and what pressures to refill at(ALL MY FAULT). Did not have a chronograph with me yesterday to track the velocities will need to do that in the future. Now, I need to figure out why I constantly have flyers at 35 yards, seems to be every 4th shot, 

Thank you all for your assistance

Rod