• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to PCP, buying Impact M3

Great thread. I know the OP is mentioning the M3, which is what everyone seems to want, but don't discount the new Kalibrgun Cricket 2 tactical that just came out. I think this gun, the availability, the price make it a tough competitor for the M3. Take a look at it because it looks fantastic. Georgiaairguns.net.

Also as for as a way to fill. If you have access to bottles airtanksplus.com has everything you will need to get air from the bottle into your gun. If you want a compressor, trust me!, get the Omega Trail for about $835 from AOA. Water cooled and works great and reliable. I have one and it's portable to the field and big enough to fill bottles (reasonably) in the garage.

If I were you I would research the MOST ACCURATE & TROUBLE FREE  pcp I could find FIRST! The learning curve on these guns is LARGE! I would not recommend a gun as expensive, complicated & prone to problems (for a newbie) as an M3. Just my personal opinion. Don't think you know what you're getting into.

I followed this advice and I do not regret it at all!! There are so many nice, well made and reliable PCPs out there that are not super complicated and shoot amazing. Start there like a Cricket 2 or Uragan or Brocock. Also save yourself a grand for your compressor. 

The OP clearly stated that HE wants the impact and just seeks input on associated supplies and equipment. Every shooter could probably recommend HIS favorite gun instead. Not relevant to the OP's request.

I know you are making an overall statement of the post in general, but I was simply passing on the same information that Crossman999 gave me. I thought I knew what I wanted too, but I wasn't educated enough and these fine people helped me a lot in getting something in my wheel house till I learned more about the sport and tuning. So I believe this is relevant. 

Most of the guys give you good advice on a hand pump...you gonna hate shooting😁😁😁

Why .30 cal? I notice lately all the "new" PCP guys go for .30cal, 35cal... I know most of you guys comes from PB world where bigger is better but with PCP's it's a different story, if you only target shooting .22cal or .25cal can be as good if not better than .30cal, less pumping and cheaper to shoot.

Impact it's a state of the art gun but I would never recommend to first time PCP owner, get something less complicated just to get you started, but if you set on M3 get it from someone that can set up for you the way you want it.

B

This is an excellent question. I am picking the .30 cal because I feel that based on what I've read and seen with my springers, it has the best overall performance for varminting and steel target plinking. While I'm still learning the limitations of air powered shooting, I have seen that PCPs vastly differs from powder burning center fire rifles in how they work, but the way the projectile travels does not. physics doesn't change, and I need enough mass moving at a certain speed to have enough energy on impact to generate the reaction I want. That might be steel or a pesky critter, either way, I've found that my .22 firing lighter pellets moves fast enough, but doesn't carry enough momentum. Heavier pellets just don't travel fast enough with my current .22s, and that's the case with rimfire (.22lr). The number of shots per charge is also a concern, but not the highest priority. If I'm shooting animals, regardless of how annoying or pesky, I want them to die quickly and as painless as possible. 

I have been shooting custom built powder burning rifles for some time now, have shot pistol and shotgun competitions (both my wife and I have), and hunted for many years. I'm looking for a change of pace, something new/different I can tinker with. While I understand that PCPs are significantly more complicated than powder burning rifles, I don't see them as being above my abilities. I've been shooting and reloading for sometime, my biggest concern is IF a problem arises, being able to diagnose the problem and possibly figuring out the inner workings of smaller components, such as valves and ports. I know some have mentioned looking at other rifles and possibly finding something easier to start with. Let me try to explain my thoughts behind this, as some with other hobbies might also understand a bit better. My wife and I have been shooters for a while. I tend to tinker as a stress reliever from work. After I get the kids to bed, I am usually found in the garage cleaning guns, modifying something, or reloading. It's getting to a point where I can either take a turn to semi-custom rimfire rifles, or large caliber rifles. There are limitations with a .22lr, I know this, and my wife thinks its borderline idiotic to dump $5000 into a rimfire rifle that would be only marginally better than what my current rifles can do. To squeak more performance out of his rifle and ammo, a friend of a friend has been chucking ammo into a lathe and modifying bullets. I couldn't help but to both laugh and feel a bit concerned. I can get another custom rifle going in a center fire, but I'd be dipping into the ELR world. That in itself would be a significant investment in gear, but above all, time. I don't have many options to shoot over 2000 yards, so the payoff is much lower. So, while I've chatted with my wife about this, her question always remains the same, "what's next, then?" My solution was PCP rifles. The reason why I picked specifically the M3 was because I don't want to have to buy a rifle only to need to spend more than the initial cost of the rifle to upgrade it down the road. "Buy once, cry once" as they say. I've learned this from buying other types of guns and going down that very path. So my base rifle needed to be something that came out of the box a decent performer, and still have the aftermarket support that would allow modifying without getting into custom made components. FX has a big enough following and seems to be mainstream enough that if I ran into an issue, someone else has too, therefore a solution should exist. I have learned through experience that sometimes, the cheaper solution is not always the cheaper solution. What I mean is, yes, there are probably other rifles from very reputable companies. Those rifles might be better to start with, and at a lower price point. But as my history has repeated itself, when I take those options, I tend to either spend more time, or more money had I gone other routes. 

I think I might end up getting a Nomad II or similar in terms of compressors. I've watched several videos and read a few reviews, and it seems to be relatively solid. When problems have happened, based on some of the threads here, they've been user error, and Air Venturi seemed to handle them quite well. There seem to be pros and cons for every compressor out there. For every good video or review, there seems to be a negative for them all. So really, its pretty much come down to who has the best support and are easiest to contact when and if something happens. I'd love to hear perspectives on this, as I'm sure there are favorites. 

The OP clearly stated that HE wants the impact and just seeks input on associated supplies and equipment. Every shooter could probably recommend HIS favorite gun instead. Not relevant to the OP's request.

I know you are making an overall statement of the post in general, but I was simply passing on the same information that Crossman999 gave me. I thought I knew what I wanted too, but I wasn't educated enough and these fine people helped me a lot in getting something in my wheel house till I learned more about the sport and tuning. So I believe this is relevant.

I don't doubt there will be a huge and steep learning curve, I'm walking into this fully knowing that. There are many turnkey guns out there, and if I wanted to mindlessly go out and plink, I have safes full of those powder burning options. I don't mind diving head first into this because I want to learn it all, or as much as I can anyway. There's videos and how-tos all over the internet these days. It's up to the person to know how to filter out the good/bad, and I think much of it is also trial and error. I'm glad there are resources like this forum around these days to help, so for that, I thank you all as such a great wealth of information. 

I use the $50 Amazon hand pump and pump a 500cc bottle from 200 to 300 bar, for a 22 that gets approx ~80 shots over that pressure drop. Approx 275 pumps and takes a few sets due to heating of the pump and fatigue. I generally do the first few sets of 50-75 pumps and then go down to 25-50's. If I only got 20 shots for that amount of pumping I'd buy something else, but for 80 shots, I actually like it - forces me to evaluate my shooting and enjoy everything more.

I use the $50 Amazon hand pump and pump a 500cc bottle from 200 to 300 bar, for a 22 that gets approx ~80 shots over that pressure drop. Approx 275 pumps and takes a few sets due to heating of the pump and fatigue. I generally do the first few sets of 50-75 pumps and then go down to 25-50's. If I only got 20 shots for that amount of pumping I'd buy something else, but for 80 shots, I actually like it - forces me to evaluate my shooting and enjoy everything more.

I see the hand pump giving me the same outcome as reloading ammunition. Buying ammo when it was cheap caused me to shoot frivolously. I'd try to hit steel further and walk rounds to the target instead of taking the time to do it properly. After I started reloading, the investment of now both money and TIME/effort made me much more careful with how my ammo was expended. But, I think I'd have to get both the pump and the compressor. Never hurts to have a back up option.

^Agree - reloading and load development for a new barrel is my favorite part. Playing with the PCP is similar. I've only had mine for a week, and already hooked - won't be driving to the range to shoot firearms as often. I stuck with a .22 PCP (RTI Prophet Performance) and am shooting pellets instead of slugs - decided that past 100 or so yards, I'd rather be shooting a firearm. So, I optimized the combo for fun up to about 120 yards.

Just be mindful that shooting subsonic is much different than shooting supersonic. Also as good as a 30 cal shoots, the bc on a heavier 22 cal will be better than the heavier 30 cal, however, the knockdown power of the 30 will be greater.

Yeah, shooting subsonic intentionally is going to be a new one. When reloading .308, 6.5cm, and 7 mag, I'm working with 2800-3200 fps with the chrono, but that's a whole different game. One of the other reasons I wanted to go with the M3 was seeing I can change out calibers as well. Please tell me if I'm wrong with that. 

Jerry

Okay, so from pretty much everyone's comments, I changed to a different hand pump and added the AV Nomad II. I found a NSA 49.5 grain slugs, so I ordered up five packs of those while I could still find them. Anything else I'm missing specific to the rifle? Any preferences on the best silicone oil for the gun and the compressor? Thank you all for the input once again. In hindsight, I think the compressor is a good idea... hahaha. 

Jerry