• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to PCP, buying Impact M3

Hi All, 

I'm new to PCP air guns, but I have been shooting for about 32 years. I've had several spring piston rifles, but would like to take a step or two up. I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need at the moment, so I'm hoping some with more experience can help guide me. So far, my cart contains:

FX Impact M3 .30 (standard)

Hill MK5 pump

FX .30 cal 44 gr pellets

Saber Tactical extended rail

I plan to shoot slugs, but want to take some time to research them first. I picked the 44.75 grain pellets because it seems to be the closest in weight to some of the slug offerings from FX and Neilson. As for optics, I plan to possibly take a scope off one of my rifles and swap them around. I have a Leupold Mark 5 that might fit the bill, depending on what magnification range I settle on. My main questions are, whether or not I need anything else with the pump to use on the tank the M3 comes with, and whether or not I need the slug power kit as well for a .30 cal. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this and for any words of wisdom you might be able to provide. 

Jerry

Trust me u do not want a hand pump. Usually 30 cal will come with a 580cc bottle. Try pumping that up to 250bar. I own a marauder and a hill mk4. The marauder is only 215 cc and pump only to 3000psi/206 bar. It was doable but very tired. I can't even imagine pumping my impact with 480cc bottle to 250 bar. End up getting a compressor. Save the money on that hill mk5 and get a yong heng for same price. 

Trust me u do not want a hand pump. Usually 30 cal will come with a 580cc bottle. Try pumping that up to 250bar. I own a marauder and a hill mk4. The marauder is only 215 cc and pump only to 3000psi/206 bar. It was doable but very tired. I can't even imagine pumping my impact with 480cc bottle to 250 bar. End up getting a compressor. Save the money on that hill mk5 and get a yong heng for same price.

X2^ .

even when was in the best shape of my life, I would not want to hand pump a .30 cal . Even a .22 is a chore and 2900psi. 

X2^ .

even when was in the best shape of my life, I would not want to hand pump a .30 cal . Even a .22 is a chore and 2900psi.

x2 squared.
Manny is right, sir. I have hand pumped my Condor with it 490 CC bottle and it is a chore even if you stop at 1800 PSI and pump back to 2900 which is what I was doing. You SHOULD have a hand pump and if you are lucky you will never need it.

All excellent choices!

Except the hand pump!

Sorry ! I couldn't resist piling on ! 

I used to hand pump my Condor, I agree it does take all the fun out of shooting.

Which compressor is heavily debated on AGN ! 

I did see Palm Beach Airguns is showing Omega compressors in stock ?????

Screenshot_20210425-181547_Chrome.1619392666.jpg

I have a .30 Impact MKII. I get very good accuracy with NSA slugs. 

I'm shoot NSA 49.5gr slugs 962 fps

I would say it depends on how much you're going to be shooting. If you plan to spend the afternoon plinking away you're going to want a compressor. My compressor died the day I received my M3. I dug out my MK4 and proceeded to fill the bottle. It took awhile, but I was able to do it without too much trouble really. I stopped after every 100 strokes to allow the pump to cool and bleed the line of any moisture. It's not something I would want to do a few times a day for sure. I'll be shopping for a new compressor within a few weeks. 

I had to remove a tablespoon size of oiled water from my bottle adapter after pumping for 6 months. Got a compressor and i have not spotted any moisture inside after that. I got lucky no damage but if you gp for the pump be aware take bleeding serious, i skipped some because the thought of pumping from 0 to 250 bar every 50 pump killed my airgun boner

I would think that an Impact M3 would be fine for an experienced shooter that is mechanically inclined. Lots of things can be changed (tuning) by the shooter on those guns and I bet one would not be the best choice for "pick it up and shoot" or "never mess with it" choice for a non-tinkerer. The individual would make all the difference in that respect and there is PLENTY of tuning information online dedicated to the platform to help. If you want an M3, get an M3. But do get a compressor😃.

you will need a place to shoot,some range bags and a table and chair ,watch for them in your neighbors trash if you plan on leaving them in the woods ,,a scope and covers rings and a bubble level, scope leveling kit ,gun smithing tools ,patch worm cleaning kit,range carry bag,, range finder ,,chronograph,, targets,, bipod or tripod ,, pellets ,,compressor ,,air tank and bag ,,scope cam , ,pcp air gun ,cool wife insurance lol,work station ,safe place to store your rig ,,,i know its a lot to take ion ,but it seems as though you may have a lot of this gear most guys that have been serious for sometime has all this gear and way more 

I had to remove a tablespoon size of oiled water from my bottle adapter after pumping for 6 months. Got a compressor and i have not spotted any moisture inside after that. I got lucky no damage but if you gp for the pump be aware take bleeding serious, i skipped some because the thought of pumping from 0 to 250 bar every 50 pump killed my airgun boner

For all of those (pretty much every comment so far) about getting a compressor, YES, I know, but I think it's going to take some time to research that side a bit more. I have plenty of shooting experience, about 32 years of it, and I tinker A LOT as is, so I'm comfortable with with the M3, but I think for safety reasons, I'd like to spend a bit more time deciding on which compressor and whether or not I need an additional tank(s). Most of my shooting will be done on private land plinking, far from outlets, so I figure one way or another, I should have a hand pump. 

Is there an in-line moisture filter I can add to the MK5 pump on the outlet side of the pump? I know there is a desiccant and particulate filter on the inlet, but I'd like to have one on the other side of it before going into the tank if possible. As the quoted comment suggests, this will be a concern. 

you will need a place to shoot,some range bags and a table and chair ,watch for them in your neighbors trash if you plan on leaving them in the woods ,,a scope and covers rings and a bubble level, scope leveling kit ,gun smithing tools ,patch worm cleaning kit,range carry bag,, range finder ,,chronograph,, targets,, bipod or tripod ,, pellets ,,compressor ,,air tank and bag ,,scope cam , ,pcp air gun ,cool wife insurance lol,work station ,safe place to store your rig ,,,i know its a lot to take ion ,but it seems as though you may have a lot of this gear most guys that have been serious for sometime has all this gear and way more

I have everything you've listed with the exception of patch worm cleaning kit and air gun specific items listed in the original post, my wife actually suggest I get an air rifle because she's tired of the custom bolt action rifles... we have plenty of those. 

Right now, I'm only concerned about the rifle, specific items that everyone might suggest in addition to the rifle to shoot with the slugs, and charging it with the hand pump (as tedious as it sound like it will be). But, I do greatly appreciate the feedback. I know that it's going to be a grind to charge the tank, but like reloading, it takes me HOURS to load rifle rounds, so I tend to be less willing to let rounds rip unwarranted. 

I would NOT waste my money on a Hill pump. The $60 china hand pumps will do just as well. Ive had 2 hills...all that was really available back in the day....both rusted and pitted within 2 years. And rebuild kits are about $50. China pump..2 years and no signs of rust. Search the other forums....you'll find the same advice. You can buy a cheap yong heng compressor for the price of a hill pump to fill the gun directly. Mines been trouble free for 3 years. Wouldn't be afraid to fill a small bottle with a couple cool down stages either. Many do.

For all of those (pretty much every comment so far) about getting a compressor, YES, I know, but I think it's going to take some time to research that side a bit more. I have plenty of shooting experience, about 32 years of it, and I tinker A LOT as is, so I'm comfortable with with the M3, but I think for safety reasons, I'd like to spend a bit more time deciding on which compressor and whether or not I need an additional tank(s). Most of my shooting will be done on private land plinking, far from outlets, so I figure one way or another, I should have a hand pump. 

Is there an in-line moisture filter I can add to the MK5 pump on the outlet side of the pump? I know there is a desiccant and particulate filter on the inlet, but I'd like to have one on the other side of it before going into the tank if possible. As the quoted comment suggests, this will be a concern.

Please as and Owner of a Hill Pump just dont even consider it for an Impact... Get a Nomad 2, Great conpressor and you can connect it to the car Battery if far from any outlet... 

Most of the guys give you good advice on a hand pump...you gonna hate shooting😁😁😁

Why .30 cal? I notice lately all the "new" PCP guys go for .30cal, 35cal... I know most of you guys comes from PB world where bigger is better but with PCP's it's a different story, if you only target shooting .22cal or .25cal can be as good if not better than .30cal, less pumping and cheaper to shoot.

Impact it's a state of the art gun but I would never recommend to first time PCP owner, get something less complicated just to get you started, but if you set on M3 get it from someone that can set up for you the way you want it.

B